Well this time, looks like its for real guys

Oh really? What more frequent maintenance?

I have yet to refill the Urea or other injection system in my gas-burner...

Also, seems a lot of people aren't too pumped about its economy. See a trend? Everywhere you go, there is a rather large group of people unhappy with mileage.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/cx-5/running-costs

Read the reviews, lol, damn near all of them complain about poor mileage. Same story for the petrol vehicles.

Been saying it ever since I bought one...

I think the biggest misconception about diesel is that they are loud and stinky old polluters. Modern diesels are so much cleaner than their early diesel cousins. Most people that knock diesel's are a)people that don't drive that much and they would never pay for themselves or b)people that trade every year or two and don't put many miles on their vehicles. I drive 30k per year or so, so in just 2 or 3 years, I've easily accumulated 50k+. In just 8 months of ownership so far on my 16.5 CX-5 touring-I'm at almost 19k so far. I definitely look forward to the diesel's arrival at the end of this calendar year. By the fall of 2018 or so, I will probably trade it off for a diesel version. I cannot wait. Just hoping maybe Trump will roll back all the EPA crap and let the diesel's breathe a bit better for better MPG and much cheaper without all the DPF crap.

I think the biggest misconception about diesel is that they are loud and stinky old polluters. Modern diesels are so much cleaner than their early diesel cousins. Most people that knock diesel's are a)people that don't drive that much and they would never pay for themselves or b)people that trade every year or two and don't put many miles on their vehicles. I drive 30k per year or so, so in just 2 or 3 years, I've easily accumulated 50k+. In just 8 months of ownership so far on my 16.5 CX-5 touring-I'm at almost 19k so far. I definitely look forward to the diesel's arrival at the end of this calendar year. By the fall of 2018 or so, I will probably trade it off for a diesel version. I cannot wait. Just hoping maybe Trump will roll back all the EPA crap and let the diesel's breathe a bit better for better MPG and much cheaper without all the DPF crap.

We drive similar amounts, bbut unless you put a lot down on your vehicle, you're going to be rolling about $5-8K negative equity into a vehicle with a $1500ish premium, so figure at LEAST $5K of negative before you start to make it up in fuel.

That's 2500 US Gallons of 87 octane, or 56,000 miles of driving for me at my average 22.5mpg.

Not worth it to me AT ALL.

I have yet to refill the Urea or other injection system in my gas-burner...

Also, seems a lot of people aren't too pumped about its economy. See a trend? Everywhere you go, there is a rather large group of people unhappy with mileage.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/cx-5/running-costs

Read the reviews, lol, damn near all of them complain about poor mileage. Same story for the petrol vehicles.

Been saying it ever since I bought one...

How much adblue does the US version CX5 diesel use? And what does it cost in the US?

It is horribly expensive here A$1 per litre. Since I dont have to use adblue on my Cx5 diesel, i can only guess how much it might use .....

Audi says the A6 uses its 17 litre tank of adblue every 10,000 miles. That would be a shocking A$17 every 10,000 miles. Thats equal to roughly US$12.70.

Wow, that would blow my maintenance budget, not to mention all that extra time and effort at the gas station every 10,000 miles to pump it in. No way!!

Last edited:
We drive similar amounts, bbut unless you put a lot down on your vehicle, you're going to be rolling about $5-8K negative equity into a vehicle with a $1500ish premium, so figure at LEAST $5K of negative before you start to make it up in fuel.

That's 2500 US Gallons of 87 octane, or 56,000 miles of driving for me at my average 22.5mpg.

Not worth it to me AT ALL.

Ya, I may have to keep my current CX-5 a bit longer than I'd like, but I'm ok with that. Nothing wrong with it and returns decent fuel mileage. Consistently get 26-29 MPG. Kind of miss my old Mazda 6 as it would consistently get 35-38 MPG in the summer months. But, it's nice having AWD as I do go into farm fields frequently and the little bit of snow we get here in the Midwest.

Mattyredsox, I know you haven taken issue with some of the US anti diesel comments here. I have appreciated your counterpoint.

I think some of the reasons have to do with the different type of diesel fuel that we have here in the US.

Foamy, stinky, oily...

But I know that I do not mind being behind that 1979 Mercedes 300d Diesel that is running French Fry oil. (stoned)

My main counterpoint is that folks should drive one before they criticize or praise the vehicle. To my knowledge, the diesel CX5 hasn't been available in the US yet. I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm at a loss as to the fuel differences, but I do know that the majority of the gas stations here (even the 50% that are self serve) are pretty clean.

I have no idea about the Fricedes Benz....

I too never owned a diesel before, but I am interested to learn more about the 2.2D because it will be awesome to drive.

So many of you get the GT, paying a premium for features you think are awesome which others think are unnecessary or hard to justify. Well, being rewarded daily with copious amount of torque, exactly where needed, are enough reason to me to pay a premium for. Yes, it is not faster 0-60, but I don't really care about 0-60 and the diesel has a huge torque advantage.
I am not too concerned about maintenance cost, I don't think it will be much different for the ~8 years I am going to own it. Checking oil level, even for the 2.5L, is recommended on every fuel-up, and it seems Mazda has addressed the oil-rise issue on earlier motors.

That said, it depends on how much more I'd need to pay and what extras I don't need I'd be forced to get.
In addition, diesel might not be good for people with mostly short trips.
Here, diesel is typically a little bit extra, maybe 7%, but it seems today it is about the same as 87.
Mazda's ended-up using a urea tank for the US version, though I have heard it is smaller, since not much after treatment is necessary, as the engine is already pretty clean. It is therefore my educated guess that the cost for DEF will be insignificant compared with the total cost of fuel.

My main counterpoint is that folks should drive one before they criticize or praise the vehicle. To my knowledge, the diesel CX5 hasn't been available in the US yet. I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm at a loss as to the fuel differences, but I do know that the majority of the gas stations here (even the 50% that are self serve) are pretty clean.

I have no idea about the Fricedes Benz....

I can not wait to drive one. That torque figure is amazing!(wow)

I was looking for some data on the formulation and exhaust differences for the different countries and grades of diesel, perhaps someone with knowledge of diesels in multiple countries will chime in...(detect)

The gross oily pumps here are simply because diesel does not evaporate like GAS, and therefore unmaintained diesel pumps get very oily and grimy. The foaming diesel fuel spatters out during refueling, and gets all over the pumps, nozzle and trigger. It never evaporates, and therefore it becomes a oily, stinky mess that most people would rather not deal with.

As far as the cleanliness of the stations, well in the USA, lets just say that it definitely is not a priority.

The "Fricedes Benz" lol... Well, if you are stuck behind a diesel that has been converted to French fry and doughnut cooking oil, it smells terrific.

Last edited:
I too never owned a diesel before, but I am interested to learn more about the 2.2D because it will be awesome to drive.

So many of you get the GT, paying a premium for features you think are awesome which others think are unnecessary or hard to justify. Well, being rewarded daily with copious amount of torque, exactly where needed, are enough reason to me to pay a premium for. Yes, it is not faster 0-60, but I don't really care about 0-60 and the diesel has a huge torque advantage.
I am not too concerned about maintenance cost, I don't think it will be much different for the ~8 years I am going to own it. Checking oil level, even for the 2.5L, is recommended on every fuel-up, and it seems Mazda has addressed the oil-rise issue on earlier motors.

That said, it depends on how much more I'd need to pay and what extras I don't need I'd be forced to get.
Here, diesel is typically a little bit extra, maybe 7%, but it seems today it is about the same as 87.
Mazda's ended-up using a urea tank for the US version, though I have heard it is smaller, since not much after treatment is necessary, as the engine is already pretty clean. It is therefore my educated guess that the cost for DEF will be insignificant compared with the total cost of fuel.

Spot on commentary. Nicely said.

It will be interesting to hear which versions of your CX5 get the diesel option in the US. I am sure someone will outline the deal when it is known for sure.

Here its available as an option on all but the lowest level variant. They dont, to my knowledge, package the diesel here any differently to the petrol models.

Definitely not. If you're buying a CUV for mostly city driving, or just to cart the kids around a suburb, you risk not giving the car a chance to complete a DPF cleaning cycle. That usage pattern is better suited to a hybrid or plug-in EV.

In my area, diesel is currently around the price of midgrade, which is normal. But during the years of peak fuel prices (2011-2014) diesel was about 10 cents higher than premium gas here, which wiped out the cost advantage of diesel despite the higher efficiency. In this part of the country, most homes heat with oil because the natural gas supply is limited, so the price of diesel is related to the supply and demand for home heating oil.

The cost is insignificant and the burden of filling the urea tank is like periodically refilling the windshield wiper fluid. It's a non-issue.

The gross oily pumps here are simply because diesel does not evaporate like GAS, and therefore unmaintained diesel pumps get very oily and grimy. The foaming diesel fuel spatters out during refueling, and gets all over the pumps, nozzle and trigger. It never evaporates, and therefore it becomes a oily, stinky mess that most people would rather not deal with.

As far as the cleanliness of the stations, well in the USA, lets just say that it definitely is not a priority.

In the suburban gas stations I visit, the diesel pumps are pretty clean. I can't speak for highway service areas and truck stops though.

Really interested in the CX-5 Diesel's reliability in hot climates. Then again its the #1 selling SUV in Australia which has deserts. Well at least in those Mad Max movies.

I noticed the Australia 17 model got some engine tweaks:

"Software tweaks including remapping of the gearbox shift points and throttle map have been made across all three engines.

Some internal modifications were made to the 2.5-litre petrol engine, which received lower friction pistons. The CX-5s 2.2 diesel specs also reflect the minor updates seen in the Mazda6s update last year, which included piston pin dampers and a recalibrated boost controller."

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/mazda-cx-5-53914#crosshead-engines-and-transmissions

I am also eager to learn about what kind of training and tools Mazda has given to the repair technicians and service departments. The last USA Mazda diesels were the 626, and B2000, and they went away in ~1984 I believe.

How much adblue does the US version CX5 diesel use? And what does it cost in the US?

It is horribly expensive here A$1 per litre. Since I dont have to use adblue on my Cx5 diesel, i can only guess how much it might use .....

Audi says the A6 uses its 17 litre tank of adblue every 10,000 miles. That would be a shocking A$17 every 10,000 miles. Thats equal to roughly US$12.70.

Wow, that would blow my maintenance budget, not to mention all that extra time and effort at the gas station every 10,000 miles to pump it in. No way!!

(rlaugh)

Really interested in the CX-5 Diesel's reliability in hot climates. Then again its the #1 selling SUV in Australia which has deserts. Well at least in those Mad Max movies.

I noticed the Australia 17 model got some engine tweaks:

"Software tweaks – including remapping of the gearbox shift points and throttle map – have been made across all three engines.

Some internal modifications were made to the 2.5-litre petrol engine, which received lower friction pistons. The CX-5’s 2.2 diesel specs also reflect the minor updates seen in the Mazda6’s update last year, which included piston pin dampers and a recalibrated boost controller."

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/mazda-cx-5-53914#crosshead-engines-and-transmissions

Those changes have been applied for all countries I believe.

Those changes have been applied for all countries I believe.

Yes, there is no way we would only get fundamental changes like that in Australia. They will be worldwide.

Re how the diesel goes in hot climates - no issues from me. Done lots of runs including towing 1400kg boat behind mine in summer here with no issues. Temps up to 38-40 C.

Mr brother is about to do a 3 week road trip up to north Queensland (hot), then going inland west (hotter) thru central Queensland, down south thru southwest of the state into western NSW.

It will be winter here by then, of couse, no-one who is sane would do such a trip in summer. Night time will be cold out west, down to maybe 4-5 deg C or lower, possibly some frost, but daytime will push up towards 30. I will let you know if any issues but not expecting any.

Never even seen adblue. I guess finding it would be the first inconvenience...

$13 every 10,000? I don't consider that expensive.$130 for 100K. That "blows your maintenance budget"?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The moments I am thankful for the diesel are moving off the lights (peak usable torque is 1500 to 2500), getting back to 80 from 60 in quick time and when loaded up. 4 people and full boot doesn't turn me into an oil tanker; still very spritely.

Driving round the twisties, I am sure the petrol is superior.

$13 every 10,000? I don't consider that expensive.$130 for 100K. That "blows your maintenance budget"?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Turbo
Glow plugs
Other s*** I am probably ignorant of.

Did they even ever get them running correctly?

Last edited:
Back