Well this time, looks like its for real guys

You may be right, I'll take your word for it. That's still 4 out 5 variants its available in.

I agree with your comments regarding better rolling acceleration for diesel.

Screenshot re engine availability :)

Capture.png

Most tests I've seen had the Diesel slower to 60mph by about .5 sec. (from a standstill) The Petrol has the edge on initial throttle response from a standstill but on the move, ie. rolling acceleration, and when fully laden, the Diesel is superior.

Remember you may not need to get a fully loaded GT to get the Diesel. In Australia, the Diesel is available from the base model all the way through to the top spec model.

Get your 2.5 ready, i will take you on in my Akera diesel. Will watch your "shocked face look" in my rearview mirror.

You could also get a tune for the diesel, increasing torque and hp further and still get great mpg on the highway.

You can go down to about a gallon and be safe. Modern tank and pump designs pretty much ensure your fuel pump won't be destroyed unless you continuously run your tank dry.

YMMV

It will not allow you to run the tank dry. A diesel will not start if you run it dry and has to be bled of air so it will protect itself in the following way;

Get your 2.5 ready, i will take you on in my Akera diesel. Will watch your "shocked face look" in my rearview mirror.

Just flicked through some old articles where the diesel is quicker to 100km than the Petrol 2.5L so I wouldn't put it pass you. Seems to be opposing results from different tests and conditions. Personally I feel they're pretty much on par but rolling the Diesel easily faster.

Hmmm. Interesting, but I'm not trading for one. Makes no sense financially, and I am not convinced it isn't going to be a lemon.

It all depends on the price premium, as to whether it's going to be cost-justifiable.

There are those who have this notion that owning/driving a diesel passenger car is cool.

Maybe so, but be aware there's much more than mpg involved. The true cost of ownership of a diesel vehicle involves a whole lot more than fuel consumption.

Cost of parts and consumables is much greater. Check out the cost of a fuel pump, or an oil change. Availability of parts will be a total crap shoot for at least a year. And what about service? Is there a single Mazda tech, manager, tech writer, parts dept. that knows squat about diesel? Nope. So that has to ramp up, eh?

Ever seen a diesel pump? Check out the ever-present oil spot. The fuel is oily, does not evaporate, and stinks. Gets on your shoes, then in your car, you WILL carry gloves because the smell is ALWAYS on the pump handle. I've owned a diesel passenger car. Never, ever again. Be careful what you wish for. Carry on.

Having had a diesel CX5 since 2014, all I can say is, honestly, "WTF are you talking about?" Mazda's diesel engines are fantastic. We compared with a gasoline, and liked the diesel much better. We've had no fuel pump issues, our oil changes are covered by Mazda. How do you know what the Mazda techs do and do not know? It's a frigging engine, not a space station. Engines are constantly evolving, as are the other tech aspects of cars, they will certainly train the techs.

Filling my car myself over the past three+ years, I've never spilt any file on myself, my clothing, or gotten any on my hands, nor do I wear gloves. I owned a mid 80's diesel VW, and hated it - this car is something completely different.

Folks should try it out themselves. If you like it, get it; if not, no need.

Not if you already own a CX5. Take a $5000+ hit to save $1000 over the life of the vehicle? no thanks.

For most people, its not as simple as one factor such as you suggest that will make the decision in favour of diesel.

Its a combination of things usually, and will depend on individual requirements and preferences. Things like:

Fuel economy
Range on a tank
Driveability
Torque for carrying loads or towing
Performance
Prestige value
Bragging rights
And so on.

People will put different weight on each of these as they determine for themselves. There may even be one-dimensional types that only see one of these factors as relevant to them - so be it.... Simple souls, God bless 'em.....

I could have towed my boat with the 2.5 petrol. But experience told me that the diesel torque would do it so much easier. And that the 2.5 economy would go to poo when towing where the diesel would fare much better and would also give me fa better range on a tank.

And when not towing I can enjoy the economy, and all that torque enables me to surprise the occasional boy racer like you who didnt expect the family SUV to launch off at the lights and leave them wondering what just happened.

By the way, some on here talk about the alleged significantly greater maintenance cost of the diesel, but I am yet to experience it despite having 2 CX5 diesels since 2012.

Parts and consumables much more expensive? Bunkum. Not supported by facts or evidence. The engines themselves are a multi-valve DOHC fuel injected negine, not all that diffrent to the gas versions. Mechanics will quickly learn. No rocket science involved.

The only extra cost is the full syn diesel oil and in this car, the quantlty is much the same as the 2.5 petrol engine. Supply your own oil (that meets specs) to the dealer and it almost negates that extra cost anyway.

Edit: after seeing the following post from my fellow Aussie, i checked the Australian Mazda desler fixed price of the first service (10,000km) for the 2.5 petrol (gas to those in the US) vs the 2.2 diesel.

Exactly the same cost.

One final edit. Re filling with diesel. If you get diesel that is low on anti-foaming additive, then yes, it can foam back ta you when the tank is nearly full. I found that Shell fuel here is crap like that, it is the only one that does it, and you quickly learn to avoid it.

Last edited:
Capped price servicing should help with diesels.

This is the cost of dealer capped price servicing here in OZ:

001.jpg
002.jpg

If you’ve never driven a diesel you will find it entertaining - all the torque of a RAV4 V6 between 1500 and 2500 rpm. The torque falls off dramatically after 2500 so you have to get up the box sharpish. The auto box is perfectly matched for normal driving but if you do decide to give it some beans, you can always use the manual override.

As far as the USDM is conserned, are there more consuners who seek premium engine options for towing, more torque, better acceleration, etc., seeking a 6 cylinder gasser, or a 4 cylinder diesel? Not sure if the VW debacle left a void or burned a bridge with US consuners. But, options are always nice, even unorthodox options, especially seeing as Mazda has offered very few in their newest fleet of automobiles.
The oil burner was exciting to me a number of years ago. Now, I just want to see that 2.5l turbo in something smaller and lighter.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Not if you already own a CX5. Take a $5000+ hit to save $1000 over the life of the vehicle? no thanks.

Keeping the car you have is *always* the most financially sound option.

If you're suggesting not to use Shell diesel fuel, then we really have problem getting a diesel CX-5 as Shell is the only name-brand gas station in our area selling diesel fuel! (eek2)

Shell diesel in Aus is going to be completely different than Shell diesel here.

Last edited:
For most people, its not as simple as one factor such as you suggest that will make the decision in favour of diesel.

Its a combination of things usually, and will depend on individual requirements and preferences. Things like:

Fuel economy
Range on a tank
Driveability
Torque for carrying loads or towing
Performance
Prestige value
Bragging rights
And so on.

People will put different weight on each of these as they determine for themselves. There may even be one-dimensional types that only see one of these factors as relevant to them - so be it.... Simple souls, God bless 'em.....
We have totally different aspects towards diesel passenger vehicles in the US. Out of things you listed only "Fuel economy" and "Torque for carrying loads or towing" could affect potential CX-5 buyers considering paying $2,800 premium for a diesel. Most people in the US have never used a diesel car as diesel fuel traditionally more expensive and harder to find. Even public buses don't use diesel anymore but with natural gas or electrical due to emission issues. Based on fuel economy comparison on SA-G 2.5L between Japanese JC08 and US EPA ratings, 35.2 ~ 38.5 highway EPA MPG on diesel CX-5 is not significant enough to attract most buyers to switch from gasoline to a diesel engine for the reason of better fuel economy alone. In addition, most CX-5 owners here will never tow anything. With only 2,200-pound towing capacity on CX-5 they would prefer to use a bigger SUV with a V6 or V8 engine for towing!

By the way, some on here talk about the alleged significantly greater maintenance cost of the diesel, but I am yet to experience it despite having 2 CX5 diesels since 2012.

Parts and consumables much more expensive? Bunkum. Not supported by facts or evidence. The engines themselves are a multi-valve DOHC fuel injected negine, not all that diffrent to the gas versions. Mechanics will quickly learn. No rocket science involved.

The only extra cost is the full syn diesel oil and in this car, the quantlty is much the same as the 2.5 petrol engine. Supply your own oil (that meets specs) to the dealer and it almost negates that extra cost anyway.
5 years of diesel ownership for 2 CX-5's is not that long. Some VW TDI owners here had million-mile experience but now they're looking for alternatives. Once the SA-D reaches to 100,000 miles, we need to worry about potentially expensive DPF replacement、turbo charger、and even the newly added DEF urea injection system which you guys have never experienced on a diesel CX-5. Although the cost of DEF has been coming down recently but still we have to add urea from time to time which is an additional cost.

And diesel oil change interval could get shortened like SA-G 2.5L Turbo with 5,000 miles instead of 7,500 miles on naturally aspirated SA-G 2.5L. More oil changes if weekly check on oil level which is reached to the added "X" mark on dipstick.

BTW the oil capacity with oil and oil filter replacement on SA-G 2.5L is 4.8 US quarts but SA-D 2.2L is 5.4 US quarts. And I can see many Mazda dealers in the US would use regular 0W-30/5W-30 oil which doesn't meet the specification by Mazda for SA-D, and causes many problems later on!

One final edit. Re filling with diesel. If you get diesel that is low on anti-foaming additive, then yes, it can foam back ta you when the tank is nearly full. I found that Shell fuel here is crap like that, it is the only one that does it, and you quickly learn to avoid it.
If you're suggesting not to use Shell diesel fuel, then we really have problem getting a diesel CX-5 as Shell is the only name-brand gas station in our area selling diesel fuel! (eek2)

Filling my car myself over the past three+ years, I've never spilt any file on myself, my clothing, or gotten any on my hands, nor do I wear gloves. I owned a mid 80's diesel VW, and hated it - this car is something completely different.

Folks should try it out themselves. If you like it, get it; if not, no need.

I love diesels, which is why I know this: US diesel pumps are often really ******* gross. I grab a paper towel from the dispenser next to the pumps pretty much every time I need diesel. I don't know what the deal is because it's not truckers who make the pumps gross, the stations I've used the most get basically no big rigs coming through. It's all normal sized trucks and passenger vehicles. I don't understand how people manage to get fuel all over the pump handle but you really do have to watch out for it.

That said, it's really not a big deal and definitely a stupid reason not to buy a diesel vehicle. Use a paper towel or whatever to handle the pump, or just wash your hands off afterword. Gas pumps are usually pretty nasty too, and I'd much rather have diesel on me than gas since it's not really flammable and gas is potentially a very serious hazard when it gets on you.

Random diesel fact: If the apocalypse ever comes and the oil rigs stop pumping, you can manufacture diesel fuel from dead bodies. There are obviously better source materials for the process, but it's possible. If we ever go full Mad Max it's going to be a diesel powered wasteland.

yrwei52 said:
Even public buses don't use diesel anymore but with natural gas or electrical due to emission issues.

This is not completely true. There are a huge amount of diesel-electric hybrid buses on the road in the US. I don't think they are the most popular type, but they aren't uncommon.

I use Shell diesel more than any other brand. Wait a few seconds and the foam dissipates, then you can fill it up more. Or don't care about getting that last tiny bit in the tank. It's not a big deal. It's also not the only one that foams, as far as I can tell they all do to some degree.

Last edited:
This is not completely true. There are a huge amount of diesel-electric hybrid buses on the road in the US. I don't think they are the most popular type, but they aren't uncommon.

I use Shell diesel more than any other brand. Wait a few seconds and the foam dissipates, then you can fill it up more. Or don't care about getting that last tiny bit in the tank. It's not a big deal. It's also not the only one that foams, as far as I can tell they all do to some degree.

They all foam. I top ours off every time, like to where I can see it.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Back