Well this time, looks like its for real guys

@Banjos: I can do low 4's outside of winter months...480? Wow- so you're getting 32+?

Teach me:)

Last edited:
Not highway. Hybrids do city well. Highway is meh.
CX-5 with Diesel giving 36 mpg would give a 400+ mile range. Sweet.
36 mpg highway is nice but you need to check engine oil weekly and see if the oil level reaches to the added "X" mark on the dipstick or the oil change is mandatory. And while changing oil you have to use a hard-to-find 5W-30 diesel oil that meets certain specifications such as Japansese JASO DL-1 specifications、Mazda Original Oil Ultra DPF 5W-30、or the ACEA C3 full synthetic equivalent. Use any other diesel synthetic oil your DPF will be damaged or destroyed!

Then after you drive 400+ miles you'd better hope there's a Shell gas station around as SA-D won't like any diesel fuel other than high quality ultra low sulfur and high detergent diesel fuel.

And this's US special, you need either pee or buy some urea from time to time for DEF injection system! ;)

Last edited:
@Banjos: I can do low 4's outside of winter months...480? Wow- so you're getting 32+?

Teach me:)

15.3 Gal Capacity * 31 MPG Highway = 474.3 miles

Granted, I don't push it too close to empty, but above 400 comfortably (I average 27.5).

I think the catch to great MPGs on a CX5 is that you get one full of rattles and brakes that wear prematurely.

(dunno)

36 mpg highway is nice but you need to check engine oil weekly and see if the oil level reaches to the added "X" mark on the dipstick or the oil change is mandatory. And while changing oil you have to use a hard-to-find 5W-30 diesel oil that meets certain specifications such as Japansese JASO DL-1 specifications or the APEA C1 full synthetic equivalent. Use any other diesel synthetic oil your DPF will be damaged or destroyed!

Then after you drive 400+ miles you better hope there's a Shell gas station around as SA-D won't like any diesel fuel other than high quality ultra low sulfur and high detergent diesel fuel.

And this's US special, you need either pee or buy some urea from time to time for DEF injection system! ;)

Your just trying to beat diesel one way or other. I would love to drive one for a day or two - wondering if I can get 30 combined in 2.5 if the diesel will hit 38.
That would be awesome.

CX-5 range is 12* 28 = 336 miles in USA for FWD. AWD could be 350 or so.
It is a 14.8 rated tank - it has a 2 gallon or so safety. The lights come on when 3 gals are remaining. After the range is 0 there is still 2 galls or so remaining. I fill before range = 0 and max so far was 12 ish.

exciting to see it finally on Mazda's website. :)

around $36k for a fully loaded GT
approx 40mpg
and I might just pull the trigger on it.

I just checked my fuelly logs..I have broken 30mpg (just) a few times but never filled up with more than 14.5 and I'm quite sure those times were 0 range for more than a few miles;) So unlike in the bmw where when it says you're empty you're pretty damn close to empty, Mazda seems to leave a gallon or so buffer (as many now do) but when it says 0 I'm uncomfortable driving another 30 or 40 miles to see if I can get north of 450 on a tank even though it appears you could..For me the realistic range (without Seinfelding it) of the awd gas cx5 is 400, 425 if you're very conservative.

All that said, there is no way I am buying the first-gen diesels. At least not new. I really love diesels and strongly considered waiting for the diesel CX5 to come out before buying but there are additional risks involved that I am unwilling to take, and I find the 2017 to be much less appealing than the 2016.5. Once they've been out awhile I will definitely be re-assessing and give serious consideration to picking one up.

The 2.2 SKYACTIV-D engine has been in the CX-5 since 2012. It's not new. Just new to the US.

I just checked my fuelly logs..I have broken 30mpg (just) a few times but never filled up with more than 14.5 and I'm quite sure those times were 0 range for more than a few miles;) So unlike in the bmw where when it says you're empty you're pretty damn close to empty, Mazda seems to leave a gallon or so buffer (as many now do) but when it says 0 I'm uncomfortable driving another 30 or 40 miles to see if I can get north of 450 on a tank even though it appears you could..For me the realistic range (without Seinfelding it) of the awd gas cx5 is 400, 425 if you're very conservative.

why would you chance your fuel pump going bad. It is cooled with fuel - hence the significant margin. Its just that Mazda should advertise it as 12 gallon tank rather than 14.8.

Your just trying to beat diesel one way or other. I would love to drive one for a day or two - wondering if I can get 30 combined in 2.5 if the diesel will hit 38.
That would be awesome.

CX-5 range is 12* 28 = 336 miles in USA for FWD. AWD could be 350 or so.
It is a 14.8 rated tank - it has a 2 gallon or so safety. The lights come on when 3 gals are remaining. After the range is 0 there is still 2 galls or so remaining. I fill before range = 0 and max so far was 12 ish.

AWD models get a 15.3 gallon tank.

(dance)

why would you chance your fuel pump going bad. It is cooled with fuel - hence the significant margin. Its just that Mazda should advertise it as 12 gallon tank rather than 14.8.

I agree with this. The service manager at my dealership told me the same thing when I got my first CX-5. I complained about the the fuel tank only holding 12 gallons. He said the fuel circulates through the pump and cools it and to try not to run close to empty because the fuel temp would get too high and could shorten the life of the pump. He said Mazda was aware of this and that is why the car tells you it's empty with a couple of gallons still left in the tank. Could be complete BS, but that is what he said.

I agree with this. The service manager at my dealership told me the same thing when I got my first CX-5. I complained about the the fuel tank only holding 12 gallons. He said the fuel circulates through the pump and cools it and to try not to run close to empty because the fuel temp would get too high and could shorten the life of the pump. He said Mazda was aware of this and that is why the car tells you it's empty with a couple of gallons still left in the tank. Could be complete BS, but that is what he said.

You can go down to about a gallon and be safe. Modern tank and pump designs pretty much ensure your fuel pump won't be destroyed unless you continuously run your tank dry.

YMMV

Right, putting realistic range of awd @4-425 getting @30. Waiting on banjos fuelly log of when he went 480 on 1 tank:) Is it theoretically possible- yes, do I have doubts that you actually went a full 480 US miles between gas ups...yes.

Last edited:
Right, putting realistic range of awd @4-425 getting 30. Waiting on banjos fuelly log of when he went 480 on 1 tank:) Is it theoretically possible- yes, do I doubt that you actually went 480 US miles between gas ups...yes.

I don't use fuelly. I didn't say I did get 480, but calculated it was possible.

But minimum 400 is easy peasy.

Huh? I already have over a 400 mile range... ~460-480 when traveling just highway.

(uhm)

Oh, this suggested (to me at least) that you had done that deed. Eh simple math really- ensure your tank is necked, use all 15.3 gallons and don't forget to get at least 31.37255mpg, what's the problem?(bowdown)

Last edited:
Oh, this suggested (to me at least) that you had done that deed. Eh simple math really- ensure your tank is necked, use all 15.3 gallons and make sure to get more than 31mpg, what's the problem(bowdown)

lol. I don't run my tanks dry. Simple as that. But on my trip to Virginia when I did a serious MPG study, I do recall one fill-up was ~13.2 gallons, and I was averaging 32 MPGs at that point of the trip (kept it between 60-75 as best I could). There was a decent amount of elevation too, but winds were mild. Windows were down, AC was running and the stereo was cranking!

We don't have roads posted at 80 or higher like some southern folks do. So it doesn't surprise me some of the folks here get worse mileage. Maine is also pretty snooty about its gas, so we get pretty clean stuff that burns well. But it costs us a bit more too.

The new Touring diesel was just tested here in Oz and here are some performance figures for you (in km/h):

0-20km/h: 0.9s
0-40km/h: 2.1s
0-60km/h: 3.9s
0-80km/h: 6.0s
0-100km/h: 8.7s

Back