Well this time, looks like its for real guys

Gee i thought my point re diesel foaming would be clear, but apparently it wasnt.

Shell here in Aus skimp on the anti-foaming additive, and as a result when you fill the tank you can easily get nasty diesel foam spewing out onto your hands. Other suppliers seem much better and you simply dont see that happening.

So my message is that wherever you are, you will very quickly work out which suppliers are lowballing on this additive and will avoid them.

I am quite surprised to hear that no-one in the US is interested in

- driveability
- range on a tank
- performance, or
- presitge value

But hey, I learn something new every day!

Last edited:

- driveability
- range on a tank
- performance, or
- presitge value

Canadian here, so I won't profess to speak for my American cousins but driveability by all accounts is quite good/not a concern from what I've read/seen.

Range on tank is definitely nice.

Performance (torque!) I'm quite looking forward to for both my commute and towing.

Prestige...I could give a rats #$%^ lol

Gee i thought my point re diesel foaming would be clear, but apparently it wasnt.

Shell here in Aus skimp on the anti-foaming additive, and as a result when you fill the tank you can easily get nasty diesel foam spewing out onto your hands. Other suppliers seem much better and you simply dont see that happening.

So my message is that wherever you are, you will very quickly work out which suppliers are lowballing on this additive and will avoid them.
I personally have never had a diesel vehicle, and I'm not familiar with the diesel fuel foaming.

- driveability
- range on a tank
- performance, or
- presitge value

That's why Honda CR-V has been the number 1 selling compact CUV since 1997 in the US, but Mazda CX-5 is the top selling compact CUV in Australia! :)

No foaming issue with diesel in Japan, where our gas station toilets are cleaner than the ones in most homes as well....

I personally have never had a diesel vehicle,...

Wow, I never would have guessed that :)

Maybe it's a regional thing, but diesel cars were fairly popular here in the Northeast before some states banned them in the 2000s. And when the ban was lifted the VW TDIs sold like hotcakes.

Wow, I never would have guessed that :)

Maybe it's a regional thing, but diesel cars were fairly popular here in the Northeast before some states banned them in the 2000s. And when the ban was lifted the VW TDIs sold like hotcakes.

I remember seeing a lot of diesel VW Rabbits when I was younger... always easy to identify due to the electrical chord hanging out of the front grill....

No foaming issue with diesel in Japan, where our gas station toilets are cleaner than the ones in most homes as well....

Mattyredsox, I know you haven taken issue with some of the US anti diesel comments here. I have appreciated your counterpoint.

I think some of the reasons have to do with the different type of diesel fuel that we have here in the US.

Foamy, stinky, oily...

But I know that I do not mind being behind that 1979 Mercedes 300d Diesel that is running French Fry oil. (stoned)

I remember seeing a lot of diesel VW Rabbits when I was younger... always easy to identify due to the electrical chord hanging out of the front grill....
I believe that's for block heater as those diesels always had a hard time to start during the very cold winter! I wonder if that is still a case for modern diesels like SA-D?

I've driven a couple that required a few seconds of glow plug warm-up when starting in very cold weather, but that's it. I've never heard of anyone using a block heater except on those big old iron block truck engines. Modern small displacement diesels have aluminum blocks and warm up about as quickly as a gasoline engine.

- driveability
- range on a tank
- performance, or
- presitge value

Prestige and Mazda are mutually exclusive terms.
In America, gas stations are not far enough apart to lay more to go further.
Gas is just as drive able as diesel. Especially when it's cold.
The gas burner is faster, by a hair.

In America, gas stations are not far enough apart to lay more to go further.
Gas is just as drive able as diesel. Especially when it's cold.

Having to make stops to fuel up is definitely worth paying more for a vehicle to me. If I could pay $1000 more for my CX-5 to get a significantly larger fuel tank on it, I would do it without hesitation.

The whole diesel in cold weather issue isn't really a thing on contemporary diesel engines. They have a heating element in them, and in extremely cold places they have fuel additives now to prevent gelling. I've never heard of anyone with a modern diesel having cold-induced engine issues, and I've seen lots of forum posts from Canadians who claim they run their VW TDIs in sub-zero temps.

Having to make stops to fuel up is definitely worth paying more for a vehicle to me. If I could pay $1000 more for my CX-5 to get a significantly larger fuel tank on it, I would do it without hesitation.

The whole diesel in cold weather issue isn't really a thing on contemporary diesel engines. They have a heating element in them, and in extremely cold places they have fuel additives now to prevent gelling. I've never heard of anyone with a modern diesel having cold-induced engine issues, and I've seen lots of forum posts from Canadians who claim they run their VW TDIs in sub-zero temps.

Unfortunately petrol(2.5L) and diesel tanks are identical in size here - 58L

That's why Honda CR-V has been the number 1 selling compact CUV since 1997 in the US, but Mazda CX-5 is the top selling compact CUV in Australia! :)

Man, that late 90's CR_V was ugly... it hasn't been #1 that long, though. CR-V's been beaten quite a few times since its inception.

Ford Escape beat it in 11:http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/01/us-best-selling-suv-2011-year-end.html
CR-V was 7.. 7 ... in 05. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/04/usa-10-best-selling-suv-crossover-2005-year-end.html

In 2001 Australian Govt made changes to the fuel standards applicable here to improve quality and reduce emissions and set minimum standrads.

Low sulphur diesel was phased in gradually drom 2001, and since Jan 2009, 10ppm sulphur is the max permissible level. I gather that this is pretty much in line with EU standards.

When the diesel CX5 gets there, if your diesel quality varies so greatly, you would want to pick a low sulphur brand and one the has sufficient anti-foaming additive to effectively stop it forming out of the filler. I

I first came across the issue when I was with a mate whose company had a fuel deal with Shell - he got out, pulled on a set of displosable floves, and proceeded to fill - I said "what the??!!". Then the diesel foamed out the filler, and I saw why the gloves were used. Messy. He was always filling 100% and squeezing in as much as he could so probably made it worse but......

Company I worked for at the time had a fuel contract with Caltex - and I had never experienced that foaming with their fuel. Or with BP. Or even with the larger independents that I occasionally had to use.

So you guys will quickly learn which brands to use/not use.

The uninformed speculation/commentary here from some US members who have never driven a diesel CX5 - probably be best to wait and have a test drive when they are released.

The diesel will not be for everyone, as it simply wont suit all needs or make sense given preferences and usage patterns. But for others it will make a great deal of sense.

Ive driven a 2.5 from the company fleet where I worked quite a few times, and work colleagues who have the 2.5 have driven the 2.2 diesel. Every one who did, got out and said "damn, I should have got one with that engine!".

One new guy in our team who inherited a CX5 GT diesel as his company car from his predecessor said to me when he collected it -"how does it go? Especially on the highway as I will be travelling 45 minutes up the highway every day to work". I just smiled. He came in the next day and said "Hell, that thing has got some surprising get up and go! Very nice! I will have to watch my speed!"

More frequent and expensive maintenance kindof offsets the convenience of it.

Back