Well this time, looks like its for real guys

Waiting patiently...
(cryhard)

The 2017 does not look like it is from the same company... It is amazing... I would love to see peoples opinion of the car UNBADGED and Unbranded to have them try and guess who this vehicle was made by. Unbiased...

Just been holding out for a Diesel or a Turbo badge on the back...
(cricket)

Last edited:
I have signed up to get updated info. I really can't wait to test drive one.

Can we start a technical discussion on this motor? What tranny will it be offered with? How about EGR? DPF? UREA?. I assume it will be an EGR and DPF motor but do we have an exploded view of the motor so that we can see is it an integrated DPF or are the EGR and DPF something we can remove 100,000 miles down the road when they fail. I've ran TDIs for 1.2M miles, I've been through this. Without proper execution this will either be a motor to run to or avoid.

I need a 6 speed manual with all the options of the touring with a diesel. And I'll pay for it. My current 2014 CX-5 Sport manual has 110K on it. This fall it will have 125K and I'll be ready to take ownership of a new diesel CX-5 as long as I can see that the reliability will be better than a gas. The current Generation 1 common Rail motors are not what I would call reliable nor cheap to run.

I was kind of worried that Mazda would back out of their plan given the backlash against diesels after the VW scandal.
This is a very positive sign.

It all depends on the price premium, as to whether it's going to be cost-justifiable.

There are those who have this notion that owning/driving a diesel passenger car is cool.

Maybe so, but be aware there's much more than mpg involved. The true cost of ownership of a diesel vehicle involves a whole lot more than fuel consumption.

Cost of parts and consumables is much greater. Check out the cost of a fuel pump, or an oil change. Availability of parts will be a total crap shoot for at least a year. And what about service? Is there a single Mazda tech, manager, tech writer, parts dept. that knows squat about diesel? Nope. So that has to ramp up, eh?

Ever seen a diesel pump? Check out the ever-present oil spot. The fuel is oily, does not evaporate, and stinks. Gets on your shoes, then in your car, you WILL carry gloves because the smell is ALWAYS on the pump handle. I've owned a diesel passenger car. Never, ever again. Be careful what you wish for. Carry on.

Can we start a technical discussion on this motor? What tranny will it be offered with? How about EGR? DPF? UREA?. I assume it will be an EGR and DPF motor but do we have an exploded view of the motor so that we can see is it an integrated DPF or are the EGR and DPF something we can remove 100,000 miles down the road when they fail. I've ran TDIs for 1.2M miles, I've been through this. Without proper execution this will either be a motor to run to or avoid.

I need a 6 speed manual with all the options of the touring with a diesel. And I'll pay for it. My current 2014 CX-5 Sport manual has 110K on it. This fall it will have 125K and I'll be ready to take ownership of a new diesel CX-5 as long as I can see that the reliability will be better than a gas. The current Generation 1 common Rail motors are not what I would call reliable nor cheap to run.

It will be a tweaked version of the SH 2.2 SKYACTIV-D that has been sold elsewhere since 2012, not a new engine. There's lots of information on it around the web. From what I've read, the US version will have urea injection, and maybe a few other tuning tweaks to meet US emissions standards. It does have EGR, and a DPF with active regeneration, and common rail injection. I don't know if it will be offered with a manual trans.

I haven't been able to find a lot of info about the longevity of the DPF, probably because the engine has only been in service for 5 years. In the early years (2012, 2013) there were issues with diesel accumulation in the oil sump and Mazda was recommending frequent oil level checks and a reduced oil change interval. I haven't heard much about that recently, so hopefully those problems have been resolved.

I do not expect the modern small displacement turbo diesel engines used in passenger cars to be more reliable than modern gasoline engines. If anything, I would expect the opposite.

310 lb torque - 40 mpg on highway (Way way wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than fatty mcnatty i.e. 2016.5) and same quiet interior that 17 gets.
For a $ 2800 ish premium. I hope they sell a few. I think this could be a signature edition starting 37 - maxing out at 40.

310 lb torque - 40 mpg on highway (Way way wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than fatty mcnatty i.e. 2016.5) and same quiet interior that 17 gets.
For a $ 2800 ish premium. I hope they sell a few. I think this could be a signature edition starting 37 - maxing out at 40.

To think I paid $25.5k for mine. Man these things are creeping up lol!

In Japan, top-of-line 25S L Package 2WD with SkyActiv-G 2.5L is 2,986,200 JPY ($26,793.69 USD) and 4WD is 3,213,000 JPY ($28,809.48 USD). However on the States side, 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring base MSRP is $29,395 on FWD; $30,695 on AWD. Destination charge is $940. We need to add another $1,830 for Grand Touring Premium Package as Japanese top-of-line 25S L Package has everything we have and more! So for top-of-line 2017 US CX-5 GT with Premium FWD is $32,165 and AWD is $33,465.

Now the top-of-line SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel CX-5, XD L Package 2WD is 3,299,400 JPY ($29,581.33 USD) and 4WD is 3,526,200 JPY ($31,606.14 USD) in Japan. So in theory, we'll see about $2,800 increase for a diesel CX-5 when it becomes available in the US. How many of you are willing to pay $36,262 to get a top-of-line diesel AWD CX-5?

Fuel economy rating in Japan for diesel XD L Package 2WD is 18.0 km/L (42.3 MPG) and for 4WD is 17.2 km/L (40.5 MPG). For 2.5L gasoline 25S L Package 2WD is 14.8 km/L (34.8 MPG) and for 4WD is 14.6 km/L (34.3 MPG). Based on big difference on SA-G 2.5L fuel economy ratings between Japan and US EPA, we can predict the SA-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 would have much lower EPA ratings in the US than Japanese ratings.

That's why I don't feel diesel CX-5 is attractive to me. It's going to be a hard sell in the US market IMHO.

cx-5-japan_1.jpg

cx-5-japan_2.jpg

One thing I notice in the spec sheet is that while both the gas and diesel use SKYACTIVE 6EC-AT transmission, the 2.2D has slightly different gear ratios.

weighs 70-90kg more, and WOW the TORQUE!!

Last edited:
One thing I notice in the spec sheet is that while both the gas and diesel use SKYACTIVE 6EC-AT transmission, the 2.2D has slightly different gear ratios.
And diesels have taller final ratios for bigger torque.

That makes sense considering the different torque curve and redline. And no, there won't be a manual option.

I'm going to take a hard look at the diesel at the end of the year. That kind of highway mileage would be incredible (especially with the radar cruise - will be so easy to get to LA now,) and the torque would be nice too, but I'm going to need to see emission numbers and watch a lot of Dave Coleman videos before committing.

It all depends on the price premium, as to whether it's going to be cost-justifiable.

There are those who have this notion that owning/driving a diesel passenger car is cool.

Maybe so, but be aware there's much more than mpg involved. The true cost of ownership of a diesel vehicle involves a whole lot more than fuel consumption.

Cost of parts and consumables is much greater. Check out the cost of a fuel pump, or an oil change. Availability of parts will be a total crap shoot for at least a year. And what about service? Is there a single Mazda tech, manager, tech writer, parts dept. that knows squat about diesel? Nope. So that has to ramp up, eh?

Ever seen a diesel pump? Check out the ever-present oil spot. The fuel is oily, does not evaporate, and stinks. Gets on your shoes, then in your car, you WILL carry gloves because the smell is ALWAYS on the pump handle. I've owned a diesel passenger car. Never, ever again. Be careful what you wish for. Carry on.
Well said!

How many of you are willing to pay $36,262 to get a top-of-line diesel AWD CX-5?

Possibly this guy right here. It depends on the projected maintenance costs and where fuel prices are then. Right now, diesel is a good amount cheaper than gas in my region. That's not normal though, I've been driving a diesel for nearly a decade and until the oil market meltdown a few years back it almost always cost at least as much as premium. These days it's cheaper than regular but I don't expect that to last once the oil markets tighten backup, who knows when that will be though. I would love to have a CX5 that can go 600+ miles per tank on the cheapest fuel available. Even if it costs a bit more to purchase and maintain, with the miles I drive the fuel savings can really add up over the life of the vehicle. Even if it's more expensive overall than a gas CX5, the utility of 600+ miles per tank may be worth that additional cost.

All that said, there is no way I am buying the first-gen diesels. At least not new. I really love diesels and strongly considered waiting for the diesel CX5 to come out before buying but there are additional risks involved that I am unwilling to take, and I find the 2017 to be much less appealing than the 2016.5. Once they've been out awhile I will definitely be re-assessing and give serious consideration to picking one up.

Fatty Mcnatty? Really, that bad? I think 40 on the diesel is going to be optimistic- maaaybe in fwd. If awds can break 35 real world highway driving (ie not just @60 pancake flat with 0 wind) I'm interested.

If you're pricing numbers are their numbers that's how many will likely sell here- a few.

If they let me buy a touring or non-pkg'd awd gt for 31/34 respectively on the sticker I'm intrigued- north of a 35 handle.. no thanks

⋯ That kind of highway mileage would be incredible (especially with the radar cruise - will be so easy to get wto LA now,)
EPA fuel economy ratings on 2017 CX-5 SA-G 2.5L are 27/24/31 on FWD and 26/23/29 mpg combined/city/highway on AWD, and Japanese JC08 ratings are 34.8 mpg and 34.3 mpg on FWD and AWD. Now if Japanese JC08 ratings on 2017 CX-5 SA-D 2.2L diesel are 42.3 mpg on FWD and 40.5 mpg on AWD, should we safely estimate the EPA highway rating on CX-5 diesel be 38.5 and 35.2 mpg? This is not that impressive as the newer hybrid CUVs coming out could easily beat that.

EPA fuel economy ratings on 2017 CX-5 SA-G 2.5L are 27/24/31 on FWD and 26/23/29 mpg combined/city/highway on AWD, and Japanese JC08 ratings are 34.8 mpg and 34.3 mpg on FWD and AWD. Now if Japanese JC08 ratings on 2017 CX-5 SA-D 2.2L diesel are 42.3 mpg on FWD and 40.5 mpg on AWD, should we safely estimate the EPA highway rating on CX-5 diesel be 38.5 and 35.2 mpg? This is not that impressive as the newer hybrid CUVs coming out could easily beat that.

Not highway. Hybrids do city well. Highway is meh.
CX-5 with Diesel giving 36 mpg would give a 400+ mile range. Sweet.

Latest posts

Back