WiFi in CX-5 2017

YODACAR

:
CX-5 Grand Touring, 2017
Hi

Anyone know if the 2017 CX-5s come with the WiFi Module? i read that the 216 had them (not sure...)

wi-fi in 2017

No. Or at least no option for it in the settings at this time.

Ours has wi-fi and connects to our home network from the driveway. It's in the menu. Don't know about USB or Bluetooth tethering though. It gets an IP address but will not accept an SSH connection (PuTTY) out of the box. The host name is "cmu". Will need a week to look further as it is my wife's drive not mine.

That would be great, but is probably not coming, right? I got shuffling of feet from my dealer when I asked about it.

Yeah who knows. Buy now knowing it won't come. I think it will eventually but who knows when.

Just curious, what would it be used for?

Also, the connection to your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot for the live traffic information which you don't appear to have in the U.S. On a side note, in my experience, the live traffic only uses about 50MB of data per month and that is using it every day

That would be great, but is probably not coming, right? I got shuffling of feet from my dealer when I asked about it.

Mazda PR guy says it's coming, but that's it so far. I believe it will... but who knows how long it will take!

In my country, and I believe in most European countries, WiFi is standard.

As Jonno21 mentioned this is used for live traffic info, but also for live weather, actual fuel prices in your vicinity or whilst navigating.
Thus, on several trips abroad I was able to get weather info, fuel prices etc. along 900 km of navigating from Brussels (Belgium) to Toulouse (France); worked flawlessly.
Another feature is that, once your live traffic info knows of obstacles (works, accidents and so on) ahead, it offers you the possibility of taking an alternate route (you can choose between 5, 10 etc. minutes gain with regards to the original (obstacled) route; the MZD lets you accept the alternate route or not).

These services are, to my knowledge, not offered (or not anymore) in the US.

I understand that all CMU's have WiFi aboard (technically speaking) but that this feature has been disabled on the US versions.

Who knows if it is. Since Mazda hasn't said anything about it, just assume that it isn't. I have a Wifi module in my CRV, I'm guessing it's for a potential wireless CarPlay/AA implementation down the road.

In my country, and I believe in most European countries, WiFi is standard.

As Jonno21 mentioned this is used for live traffic info, but also for live weather, actual fuel prices in your vicinity or whilst navigating.
Thus, on several trips abroad I was able to get weather info, fuel prices etc. along 900 km of navigating from Brussels (Belgium) to Toulouse (France); worked flawlessly.
Another feature is that, once your live traffic info knows of obstacles (works, accidents and so on) ahead, it offers you the possibility of taking an alternate route (you can choose between 5, 10 etc. minutes gain with regards to the original (obstacled) route; the MZD lets you accept the alternate route or not).

These services are, to my knowledge, not offered (or not anymore) in the US.

I understand that all CMU's have WiFi aboard (technically speaking) but that this feature has been disabled on the US versions.

You explained it better than I did(2thumbs)

Hi

Anyone know if the 2017 CX-5s come with the WiFi Module? i read that the 216 had them (not sure...)

I'd say it's almost certain that they left the WiFi module in but disabled in NA models. It's used in non-NA models for traffic and fuel info as Jonno and p38cyq mentioned. The whole thing is explained here.

You should be able to enable your WiFi module using AIO.

Or you can try to access it directly via SSH:

How can I enable Hotspot on MZD system:

Try the following: (*Before v58 only)
Open diagnostics menu (buttons Music + Favorites + Pwr / Mute and hold until menu appears)
Hold down DEL until JCI Test Mode Active appear at right black box (15-20 sec.).
Press 11 and then press Enter.
Select script WiFi AP Toggle

All FW Can Activate Via SSH run the commands:
/jci/scripts/start_wifi.sh
/jci/scripts/jci-fw.sh stop
/jci/scripts/jci-wifiap.sh start
Then the access point of the car is running, you should see a WLAN cmu . Simply log in and then access via IP 192.168.53.1 on the system.

Last edited:
Back