New Wheels for the CX-5!

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
My CX-5 has those absolutely terrible looking 17" wheels that came standard on my GS(Touring) CX-5. I've always hated them. I waited it out and finally the damn rubber has worn out, so this winter I took the old all seasons off and bought new winters to fit on the 17's. Now that it's spring time, I wanted those 19" wheels from 2013-2015 CX-5's. Wasn't a big fan of the black painted rims on the 2016+ models. Anyways, I found 2014 Mazda6 wheels for a very good, $400 with no scuffs, curb rashes or bends...or anything. I shopped online and found 4 225/55/19 Yokohama Geolander G055 tires for $150 a tire. All in all, with tax and everything, my whole wheel and tire kit with balancing and install costed me $1,300. I'd say that's a steal considering the same kit from a Mazda dealer would've been over $1,000 for just rims! And they wanted $50 more per tire! I'm just thrilled. Especially with how good the damn thing looks now! Everybody should do the buying-rims-and-tires-separately thing. Saved me so much money!
5dx3spNl.jpg
SwhL2HXl.jpg

My CX-5 has those absolutely terrible looking 17" wheels that came standard on my GS(Touring) CX-5. I've always hated them. I waited it out and finally the damn rubber has worn out, so this winter I took the old all seasons off and bought new winters to fit on the 17's. Now that it's spring time, I wanted those 19" wheels from 2013-2015 CX-5's. Wasn't a big fan of the black painted rims on the 2016+ models. Anyways, I found 2014 Mazda6 wheels for a very good, $400 with no scuffs, curb rashes or bends...or anything. I shopped online and found 4 225/55/19 Yokohama Geolander G055 tires for $150 a tire. All in all, with tax and everything, my whole wheel and tire kit with balancing and install costed me $1,300. I'd say that's a steal considering the same kit from a Mazda dealer would've been over $1,000 for just rims! And they wanted $50 more per tire! I'm just thrilled. Especially with how good the damn thing looks now! Everybody should do the buying-rims-and-tires-separately thing. Saved me so much money!
5dx3spNl.jpg
SwhL2HXl.jpg

Tempted to get some of those as winter wheels for snow tires....even if the 17's are a more sensible choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice. Always wanted these gunmetal grey Mazda6 wheels as an alternative. They are hard to source second hand as most won't want to part with them evident by its gorgeous design and finish. You got a steal. These OEM wheels would cost a fair bit from Mazda dealers.

Beautiful wheels, looks great on the white CX-5.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

very nice...the gun metal compliments the white well and in fact, gun metal should be the standard wheel colors of the CX-5, if not an option or part of a package.

So, do CX-5s not look good with 18s? Sure, the optional wheel is the 19, but I would figure that an 18 would be a nice balance between the two and the tires might be a bit cheaper.

Is it the overall circumference that makes the 18s not a good or popular choice? $400 for the 4 Mazda6 wheels seems like a real steal, considering that those wheels are easily $300 ea (or more) if bought through the parts counter.

Looks great.. the night I bought my 5 I was standing in the show room looking at a 6 with those wheels and thinking those would look great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great choice. Those wheels just look great.

What is with new car wheels? CX5 and CRV wheels are just awful. As I shop these great cars, on my mind is how to deal with these ugly over-designed things.

Hopefully this thread brings some other choices forward.

I like those much better than the stock 2013-2015 CX5 GT rims.

I probably would have gone with General Altimax tires though.... I hated the Geolanders that were on my 3.

Great choice. Those wheels just look great.

What is with new car wheels? CX5 and CRV wheels are just awful. As I shop these great cars, on my mind is how to deal with these ugly over-designed things.

Hopefully this thread brings some other choices forward.

I agree. How hard is it to design a damn wheel? And the awful Honda ones with their angular design... where one side twists forward, and the other side twists backwards drives me nuts. If you're going to have "rotational" designed rims, have them dedicated for each side.

Are those the 7" wide or did you get the 7 1/2" version? I've been eyeing the cx9 version of that wheel that is a 20x8 aswell but I'm not sure I want 10" wheels.

Are those the 7" wide or did you get the 7 1/2" version? I've been eyeing the cx9 version of that wheel that is a 20x8 aswell but I'm not sure I want 10" wheels.

19x7.5

Once my Potenza's wear out I'm going to be selling my stock 19 Mazda6 wheels cheap locally. Looking to replace them with 18/19x 8.5's.

I like those much better than the stock 2013-2015 CX5 GT rims.

I probably would have gone with General Altimax tires though.... I hated the Geolanders that were on my 3.

Ugh yes. The Geolanders are god awful.

Last edited:
Seriously? I had them on my old Tiguan and they did awesome. They were quiet, good on snow, and they took forever to wear. I think I drove 50,000 miles before they were 4/32. I just thought since they were good on my Tiguan with 18" tires, they'd be good on the CX-5. What's so bad about them?

Seriously? I had them on my old Tiguan and they did awesome. They were quiet, good on snow, and they took forever to wear. I think I drove 50,000 miles before they were 4/32. I just thought since they were good on my Tiguan with 18" tires, they'd be good on the CX-5. What's so bad about them?
Yokohama Geolandar G055 is ranked #11 among 24 crossover/SUV touring all-season tires by Tire Rack. There're plenty of 225/55R19 tires are better:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

I have 18" on my CX-5 are they are a great compromise in my opinion. Fill out the wheel wells better than the stock 17" ugly touring wheels but didn't want the grand touring. So I had them swap out my Mazda 6 aftermarket wheels I had on the 6. They look great IMHO.

very nice...the gun metal compliments the white well and in fact, gun metal should be the standard wheel colors of the CX-5, if not an option or part of a package.

So, do CX-5s not look good with 18s? Sure, the optional wheel is the 19, but I would figure that an 18 would be a nice balance between the two and the tires might be a bit cheaper.

Is it the overall circumference that makes the 18s not a good or popular choice? $400 for the 4 Mazda6 wheels seems like a real steal, considering that those wheels are easily $300 ea (or more) if bought through the parts counter.

So 11/24 is still better than half of the other tires. Don't need nothing fancy, like Pilot Super Sports, or even Pilot Sports. I just wanted a quiet tire that wore very slowly. On my Tiguan they did just that so I thought I'd buy them again.

Back