OEM Motor Mounts

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hi all,

I've skimmed through SEVERAL threads about motor mounts for the P5, and I'm left wondering what site some of you have used to find OEM motor mounts? It seems that the general consensus is to buy OEM if you want to maintain OEM feel, which is exactly what I want to do!

So far, I've found that these 2 sites are fairly reasonable, cheaper than most I've seen and within a dollar or so of each other:
http://www.mazda-parts.com
https://www.realmazdaparts.com

The other question I have for y'all is, should I replace ALL 4 motor mounts now? I know FOR SURE that my transmission mount is busted, and I'm almost positive the passenger side is busted. I'm getting a LOT of vibration, wheel hop and clanging/rattling sounds. I'm thinking this is due to bad mounts and bad struts...I have a 2003 P5 with 110k and the motor is STRONG, so I don't mind getting these issues fixed, because I believe I'll be driving this car for at least 5 years to come...but, is it worth it/cost effective to change ALL 4 mounts now? Might as well? I'm looking at about $400 for all 4 mounts shipped from http://www.mazda-parts.com and I have a mechanic friend (who happens to work at Mazda) quoting me $250 for the labor for ALL 4. Of course, I'd love to tackle this myself and save the labor cost, I'm just a bit weary about getting the engine to seat correctly once I change the mounts. I can't tell if this repair is over my head, or worth the PITA? For reference, I've successfully done these repairs: both cv axles (front), both LCAs (front), both wheel bearing (front), both tie rod ends (front), and I've changed countless brake pads, oil filters, changed both brake calipers/pads/rotors in the rear, swapped out my rear passenger door actuator. So, I'm no noob, but I know my limits. Just not sure if I can accomplish this repair without help?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Most aftermarket motor mounts are OEM equivalent... It's the sporty stuff that is stiffer (AWR with a durometer rating)

Changing them out is really quite easy to do except the rear one.... You have to break a pin off then use a bunch of extensions to reach the bolts.

You can get the whole set of mounts for less than $100 but sometimes they don't fit quite right and need to be worked on (holes that don't line up)

Some mounts don't come with the big pin that goes though it and you are expected to install your old ones into the new mount.

There is a difference between the automatic and manual transmission and make sure you get the right ones.

If they come with the arm/pin attached then they seem to work on either type of transmission.
One guy saved $100 by getting the auto mount instead.

Last edited:
the front mount and 2 side mounts you can definitely do easily. But the rear mount requires removal of the intake manifold.

If the come with the arm/pin attached then the seem to work on either type of transmission.
One guy saved $100 by getting the auto mount instead.

I ordered a OEM auto mount for my manual when the parts guy (and a couple of the techs) said they did not know of any difference between the mounts. It took a bit of some force to install, and then threw everything off just enough that it did not shift smoothly at all. Bought a no name mount for a manual, and now it shifts smooth as butter again.

Thanks for the replies!

Can y'all tell me a decent aftermarket brand that will retain OEM feel? I definitely don't want the stiffness, just want that smooth ride!

It doesn't really matter a whole lot, the $100 shipped ebay specials will fit, but may not last as long as OEM. I would imagine you would still get at least 4-5 years out of them depending on how you drive the car.

I tried 2-3 aftermarket motor mounts when I was changing out my front and passenger ones and they didn't feel as smooth as the OEM. I could tell at idle and when shifting. I eventually went with OEM and paid a little more. Wish I would've just done that from the beginning to save time and hassle.

2 or 3? What name brands? I only know of awr. And I like them, yes they do vibrate more on idle. But while driving I really don't notice it.
It's all about preference. Buying aftermarket oem mounts. Aren't worth it. I did and they broke less than a year later, as in the cushion fails. I just bought awr after that.

You should be able to see if the front and passenger side mount are busted. Just look. If a mount is intact, maybe don't replace it. Also, experiencing wheel hop when you're going straight vs. turning left vs. turning right points the finger at different mounts. I can't remember, but that topic has been discussed here before.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 or 3? What name brands? I only know of awr. And I like them, yes they do vibrate more on idle. But while driving I really don't notice it.
It's all about preference. Buying aftermarket oem mounts. Aren't worth it. I did and they broke less than a year later, as in the cushion fails. I just bought awr after that.

I should've been more clear with my response. I tried aftermarket ones that were OEM replacements - not stiffer aftermarket ones. I believe one brand was Beck Arnley. Can't remember the other.

I tried 2-3 aftermarket motor mounts when I was changing out my front and passenger ones and they didn't feel as smooth as the OEM. I could tell at idle and when shifting. I eventually went with OEM and paid a little more. Wish I would've just done that from the beginning to save time and hassle.

When you say you eventually went with OEM and paid a little more, do you mean that you purchased parts from the dealer or Mazda parts from a discount site..?

When you say you eventually went with OEM and paid a little more, do you mean that you purchased parts from the dealer or Mazda parts from a discount site..?
I got the OEM ones new at a discount by looking for the cheapest deal on eBay.

All this knowledge!! :D

So now does all this apply to the msp as well?

i just got the cheapest ones i could find off Amazon. Anchor and Eagle are the brands. They fit fine the first time with no issues, i had 2 broken ones, the front and the top passenger side. they were both replaced in about 15 minutes without issue, and they work great.

I don't know about OEM feel because they were broken when i bought the car, but everything is tight and no unwanted vibrations. and let's face it, as much as i do like the car, it's got well over 200k on it so i'm not trying to go all out OEM, i'll put as little money into it as possible to keep it running and everything working like it should because i don't know if it will go another 100k miles or die tomorrow.

i just got the cheapest ones i could find off Amazon. Anchor and Eagle are the brands. They fit fine the first time with no issues, i had 2 broken ones, the front and the top passenger side. they were both replaced in about 15 minutes without issue, and they work great.

I don't know about OEM feel because they were broken when i bought the car, but everything is tight and no unwanted vibrations. and let's face it, as much as i do like the car, it's got well over 200k on it so i'm not trying to go all out OEM, i'll put as little money into it as possible to keep it running and everything working like it should because i don't know if it will go another 100k miles or die tomorrow.

Good point here...I've got about 110k, and hoping to put on another 100k haha if I'm lucky! I just know additional vibration will drive me up the wall!

I'll look into the brands you listed there...and will definitely research the forum for replacing all mounts except for the rear one, need to save money where I can!

.... except for the rear one, need to save money where I can!

There was a guy here that had no rear mount at all... He broke a bolt off and couldn't get the stud out. (he tried everything)

He just drove it that way... He said it was fine... It was turbocharged too.

You could crawl under your car, clean the mount as best as you can and fill it with Window Weld... and give it a day to harden... you don't need to remove anything and it will help.

Good point here...I've got about 110k, and hoping to put on another 100k haha if I'm lucky! I just know additional vibration will drive me up the wall!

I'll look into the brands you listed there...and will definitely research the forum for replacing all mounts except for the rear one, need to save money where I can!

if you're only at 110k i'm sure you've got plenty of time left as long as you keep up with basic maintenance. IT's really a good reliable little car. Just seem very prone to rust if you live in one of those snowy areas, and i'm definitely glad that's not me!

Inserts are nice addition to OEMs for alternate to full on solid mounts, kinda of a middle ground for vibes.

Back