Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I took a couple of rides today: CX5 and CRV. It was closer than I thought between the two vehicles, and I have a mystery that maybe someone can answer later.

The Mazda dealership pulled out a Sport model, not touring like I'd hoped. It caused problems because I never got comfortable in the seat and was constantly hitting my head on the roof handle. I figured it out near the end but it may have soured me a bit. On the other end, I was in EX-L AWD, which is more car than I would want.

The first thing I'll mention is that apparently I'm old school in my 2015. I've never used lane assist or any of the things you kids use in your fancy cars. The Honda quite effectively made turns for me on the freeway. I did not know they could do this. I didn't like the lane warning because it seemed to trigger too easily, and it was annoying, but maybe it would be good if it forced me to turn on the signal when I changed lanes? I really don't know what I think of it.

In regards to handling, the Mazda wins going away. It's a better ride, it's quieter (more on this later), turns cleaner, overall, it's just a better ride. But, the Honda isn't a terrible ride. It's perfectly functional, it's just not as tight as the Mazda, a bit more roll and so forth.

The CRV was faster. The Turbo kicked in and it merged on the freeway, well, better than the Mazda did when I had to punch it. It also wanted to drive at 75 much more easily than the Mazda did, which I'm not certain is a benefit. These aren't perfect tests, I don't know the 0-60 times but the Honda was the faster vehicle for what I did and I think it was quieter at speed than the Mazda.

In regards to the interiors, I was biased by the damn Sport edition and hitting my head on the roof. The Honda seemed more spacious, and probably is, but that was probably the reason why. When I test drove a Touring last week I had no problem with the fit. I don't like the Mazda spin the dial radio control. Maybe I would eventually but not yet. On the other hand, I couldn't really figure out the CRV radio during a 20 minute drive. I didn't notice anything one way or the other regarding the interior quality that would favor one car, but if I had to pick, maybe the Mazda. I thought the Mazda had more visual range. The Honda, especially the rear view mirror, seemed very narrow, I'm not sure how easy it would be to see out of. I didn't back up so I don't know about the rear view cameras.

The CVT seemed absolutely fine to me. In fact, I liked it. I liked it better than the Mazda 6-speed.

Mazda has a $500 loyalty and 1.99%/60 months. Honda is .99%/60 months and from what I'm reading is a bit more willing to shave a bit off the price. The Honda dealer network is a lot stronger in these parts too, mostly because of a single dealer that if I make a move that I might need to make, is more accessible. The Honda, with leather, is more expensive than a Touring edition which includes leather.

Overall, I would have no problem owning either one of them, and to be honest, I kind of liked the Honda better. Of course, base vs. near top end Honda, so not entirely a fair comparison.

Finally, the noise level. Both of these cars are quieter than my 2015. The DB meter however behaved strangely. If you were to ask me which car was quieter I'd say the Mazda. I think it was clearly quieter, although a bit whinier when trying to push it, even against the turbo. But, the DB app on my phone awarded the contest to the Honda, by 2 to 3 DB. Possibly, I wasn't holding it the same, possibly I didn't check at precisely the same time but the Mazda ran 81/82 and the Honda was at 79. I think it had something to do with the type of noise. I need that Mazda graph from the Ars Technica article because I think that's part of the mystery. The other part is probably engine noise at speed which the Mazda may have had more of. Any ideas?

Last edited:
The CVT seemed absolutely fine to me. In fact, I liked it. I liked it better than the Mazda 6-speed.

I was trying to read and actually comprehend your review but then this happened..Look, the honda is a good cuv with some clear advantages and if you think its faster and actually really honestly seriously how in the world could anyone prefer that abortion, sorry transmission then you should buy it without delay.

So, I took a couple of rides today: CX5 and CRV. It was closer than I thought between the two vehicles, and I have a mystery that maybe someone can answer later.

The Mazda dealership pulled out a Sport model, not touring like I'd hoped. It caused problems because I never got comfortable in the seat and was constantly hitting my head on the roof handle. I figured it out near the end but it may have soured me a bit. On the other end, I was in EX-L AWD, which is more car than I would want.

The first thing I'll mention is that apparently I'm old school in my 2015. I've never used lane assist or any of the things you kids use in your fancy cars. The Honda quite effectively made turns for me on the freeway. I did not know they could do this. I didn't like the lane warning because it seemed to trigger too easily, and it was annoying, but maybe it would be good if it forced me to turn on the signal when I changed lanes? I really don't know what I think of it.

In regards to handling, the Mazda wins going away. It's a better ride, it's quieter (more on this later), turns cleaner, overall, it's just a better ride. But, the Honda isn't a terrible ride. It's perfectly functional, it's just not as tight as the Mazda, a bit more roll and so forth.

The CRV was faster. The Turbo kicked in and it merged on the freeway, well, better than the Mazda did when I had to punch it. It also wanted to drive at 75 much more easily than the Mazda did, which I'm not certain is a benefit. These aren't perfect tests, I don't know the 0-60 times but the Honda was the faster vehicle for what I did and I think it was quieter at speed than the Mazda.

In regards to the interiors, I was biased by the damn Sport edition and hitting my head on the roof. The Honda seemed more spacious, and probably is, but that was probably the reason why. When I test drove a Touring last week I had no problem with the fit. I don't like the Mazda spin the dial radio control. Maybe I would eventually but not yet. On the other hand, I couldn't really figure out the CRV radio during a 20 minute drive. I didn't notice anything one way or the other regarding the interior quality that would favor one car, but if I had to pick, maybe the Mazda. I thought the Mazda had more visual range. The Honda, especially the rear view mirror, seemed very narrow, I'm not sure how easy it would be to see out of. I didn't back up so I don't know about the rear view cameras.

Mazda has a $500 loyalty and 1.99%/60 months. Honda is .99%/60 months and from what I'm reading is a bit more willing to shave a bit off the price. The Honda dealer network is a lot stronger in these parts too, mostly because of a single dealer that if I make a move that I might need to make, is more accessible. The Honda, with leather, is more expensive than a Touring edition which includes leather.

Overall, I would have no problem owning either one of them, and to be honest, I kind of liked the Honda better. Of course, base vs. near top end Honda, so not entirely a fair comparison.

Finally, the noise level. Both of these cars are quieter than my 2015. The DB meter however behaved strangely. If you were to ask me which car was quieter I'd say the Mazda. I think it was clearly quieter, although a bit whinier when trying to push it, even against the turbo. But, the DB app on my phone awarded the contest to the Honda, by 2 to 3 DB. Possibly, I wasn't holding it the same, possibly I didn't check at precisely the same time but the Mazda ran 81/82 and the Honda was at 79. I think it had something to do with the type of noise. I need that Mazda graph from the Ars Technica article because I think that's part of the mystery. The other part is probably engine noise at speed which the Mazda may have had more of. Any ideas?

Thank you for your input. Also keep in mind the CRV has better fuel economy, more cargo space, low priced extended warranties, and will have better resale value as well, not to mention Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. My neighbor just got a new X3(to replace his 98 CRV) last week and he has already gotten 2 offers for it despite not evening putting up for sale yet. I own the new CRV and have taken it on several road trips, I love how quiet and smooth the ride is. It also won AutoGuide SUV of the year.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...de-com-utility-vehicle-of-the-year-award.html

Here's mine...

Click the photo below to see it in full size

Last edited:
I was trying to read and actually comprehend your review but then this happened..Look, the honda is a good cuv with some clear advantages and if you think its faster and actually really honestly seriously how in the world could anyone prefer that abortion, sorry transmission then you should buy it without delay.

I debated adding the part about the CVT in, because, well, I was pretty sure something like this would happen.

I almost feel compelled to say that I thought Hillary was a great presidential candidate just to watch the world burn.

Back in 2013 my final two cars on my shopping list were the CRV and CX-5, both cars were manual and diesel.

I only went for the Mazda because the diesel engine was more powerful, from what I've just read in the US its the Honda with more power, so that would have probably been my choice. (mj)

Honda reliability has dramatically been worse on their newer car. If you plan to keep this car awhile I suggest the CX-5. Naturally aspirated and a standard automatic transmission are bound to last longer than a turbo and CVT.

I've had my 2017 CX-5 AWD for a week and have average 26.5 MPG

I don't know. The SkyActiv platform is still too new to tell, in my opinion. It's been out a whopping 4 years. Does anyone have 300K on one yet?

Well...the CRV IS faster...

Thank you for your input. Also keep in mind the CRV has better fuel economy, more cargo space, low priced extended warranties, and will have better resale value as well, not to mention Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. My neighbor just got a new X3(to replace his 98 CRV) last week and he has already gotten 2 offers for it despite not evening putting up for sale yet. I own the new CRV and have taken it on several road trips, I love how quiet and smooth the ride is. It also won AutoGuide SUV of the year.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...de-com-utility-vehicle-of-the-year-award.html

Here's mine...

DSC00287.jpg

That looks good mango. my cousin just bought one, in Singapore.

What engine do you have? the UK models are all 1.5ltr and I worry about low power/torque (i only have the 148bhp diesel CX-5, so I don't need a Veyron)

Get AWD, it's really nice in wet weather and when pulling briskly off of a side-street where gravel is standing in the gutter space between the main road and the side. I have only owned 1 FWD car, it but was unsafe in situations like that until I installed a new trans-axle with LSD, and then it was marginally better.

The first thing I'll mention is that apparently I'm old school in my 2015. I've never used lane assist or any of the things you kids use in your fancy cars. The Honda quite effectively made turns for me on the freeway. I did not know they could do this. I didn't like the lane warning because it seemed to trigger too easily, and it was annoying, but maybe it would be good if it forced me to turn on the signal when I changed lanes? I really don't know what I think of it. I find the lane-deal annoying as well. I have it on my 2015 CX5. I think it breeds bad driving, as some people no-longer visually confirm lane changes because they think it sees all...

Wow! if the 2017 is quieter, then Mazda really did do a smart! NICE!

The CRV was faster. The Turbo kicked in and it merged on the freeway, well, better than the Mazda did when I had to punch it. It also wanted to drive at 75 much more easily than the Mazda did, which I'm not certain is a benefit. These aren't perfect tests, I don't know the 0-60 times but the Honda was the faster vehicle for what I did and I think it was quieter at speed than the Mazda. Turbo spooling makes a slow car like these seem faster than they are. They are pretty much the same, but the Honda is a touch faster in instrumented tests I've seen, and has a MUCH better top-end, based on 1/4 mile trap speeds. Significantly.

The CVT seemed absolutely fine to me. In fact, I liked it. I liked it better than the Mazda 6-speed. Don't say that here. These people are luddites, lol. They talk a bout how RAW! their CX5 is, but then "OMGZ! IT HAS A BIT OF DRONE!" when you bring up the CVT, lol

How old are you?

It depends on how good your dB meter is, but as you age, you are losing your ability to hear higher frequency sounds, typically. Your dB meter likely doesn't weight things, and only picks up on peak-impulse levels, so if there was a peak impulse in the CX5 of 5.5kHz, you may not have heard it, but it spiked the meter.

Over-all, based on your review, I kindof like the Mazda, although the Honda has far and away the better engine I think, I'd probably buy the CX5 if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to trade out of my 2015 CX5 and into a 2017 of one of those two.

One thing I will bring up...accessories...

The 1.5L CRV is a small motor, getting its power from boost. This may mean that the AC and other accessories are being under-driven to help it cope with traffic speeds in the city and not bog the motor too bad. A friend of mine had a Chevy Cruze (small motor, turbo, just like the CX5), and the AC didn't work for s*** unless he was on the freeway turning some decent rpm.

Just something to consider that no magazine review will ever cover, and you won't learn about maybe for another few months in your AO.

One thing I will bring up...accessories...

The 1.5L CRV is a small motor, getting its power from boost. This may mean that the AC and other accessories are being under-driven to help it cope with traffic speeds in the city and not bog the motor too bad. A friend of mine had a Chevy Cruze (small motor, turbo, just like the CX5), and the AC didn't work for s*** unless he was on the freeway turning some decent rpm.

Just something to consider that no magazine review will ever cover, and you won't learn about maybe for another few months in your AO.

Correct.

Most vehicles with smaller capacity motors will divert from accessories in order to get more power. Could be an issue with CRV etc

"Get AWD, it's really nice in wet weather and when pulling briskly off of a side-street where gravel is standing in the gutter space between the main road and the side. I have only owned 1 FWD car, it but was unsafe in situations like that until I installed a new trans-axle with LSD, and then it was marginally better."

I can't remember the last time this happened to me and I thought, "wow, that would have been solved with AWD". It's called driving to the conditions.

"Get AWD, it's really nice in wet weather and when pulling briskly off of a side-street where gravel is standing in the gutter space between the main road and the side. I have only owned 1 FWD car, it but was unsafe in situations like that until I installed a new trans-axle with LSD, and then it was marginally better."

I can't remember the last time this happened to me and I thought, "wow, that would have been solved with AWD". It's called driving to the conditions.

No, it's called rush-hour, and you need to make it into that tiny gap, and spinning the tires for 3 seconds isn't productive.

How old are you?

It depends on how good your dB meter is, but as you age, you are losing your ability to hear higher frequency sounds, typically. Your dB meter likely doesn't weight things, and only picks up on peak-impulse levels, so if there was a peak impulse in the CX5 of 5.5kHz, you may not have heard it, but it spiked the meter.

Over-all, based on your review, I kindof like the Mazda, although the Honda has far and away the better engine I think, I'd probably buy the CX5 if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to trade out of my 2015 CX5 and into a 2017 of one of those two.

My db meter is an app, so probably not very good.

The Honda apparently has some kind of Active Noise Cancellation system. It could be playing with the sounds in some fashion causing weird readings. Or it could be as simple as that I was checking at a point where the Mazda's design made it louder and I didn't know it. I think it was engine noise at the moment I tested.

Regarding the AWD. I've spun the front wheels of my Mazda a couple of times but never in the rain and only in one scenario, really only in one place that I can remember. It's a shopping center where the exit is sloped downhill and sometimes I punch it slightly while turning right onto the road. The front wheels slip, just for a second, then grab, and everything's fine. It's a little disorientating but nothing else. I'm not sure I see the need for it but the drive at least made me consider it.

The Honda apparently has some kind of Active Noise Cancellation system. It could be playing with the sounds in some fashion causing weird readings. Or it could be as simple as that I was checking at a point where the Mazda's design made it louder and I didn't know it. I think it was engine noise at the moment I tested.

Regarding the AWD. I've spun the front wheels of my Mazda a couple of times but never in the rain and only in one scenario, really only in one place that I can remember. It's a shopping center where the exit is sloped downhill and sometimes I punch it slightly while turning right onto the road. The front wheels slip, just for a second, then grab, and everything's fine. It's a little disorientating but nothing else. I'm not sure I see the need for it but the drive at least made me consider it.

Yes, the db app does not work well on a phone. It is much better on an iPad type device.

Here's mine...

Nice pic. Looks good

Well, I'd say definitely check out a Touring or GT trim for a fairer comparison.

That said sounds like you should go with the Honda.

Uno will say its being a luddite, but I've never driven a CVT that didn't sound like it was falling apart or contained a dying cat when I've gunned it from a stop light. Not saying the Honda CVT in the 2017 is doing that, but still something I just don't want.

But if you prefer a CVT, then just get the Honda.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My 2013 car did that, but so far its not happened on my 2016 to you car, apparantly the AWD got some extra sensors to atticipate slip before it happens.

Something my Xtrail had back in 2009.

Those numbers are pretty high. What weighting and response time were you using? Use A-weighting and slow response time for steady state noise measurement. If you're measuring with C-weighting or no weighting, then your measured SPL will be dominated by low frequencies, which our ears are less sensitive to. Wind buffeting and turbulence produce high SPL at very low frequencies. Tire/road rumble can as well. So, for example, if the airflow over the CX-5's body shape is more turbulent than the CR-V, there will be more low frequency wind noise but your ears may not pick up on that as much as the higher frequency noise in the 500-5000 Hz range.

The accuracy of iPhone sound level meters is pretty abysmal, so I wouldn't trust the absolute numbers or try to compare your numbers with somebody else's measurements. But they can still be useful for relative comparisons.

http://www.safetyawakenings.com/safety-app-of-the-week-42/
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.hearin...urce/resmgr/imported/Nast_SLM Apps_Poster.pdf
https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2014/04/09/sound-apps/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back