Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official 2017 CX-5 and CR-V EPA fuel economy ratings from FuelEconomy.gov website:

Yeah, Kaps caught that too. I posted the 2016 ratings, not 2017. My bad.

I was surprised at the difference between 2016 and 2017.

Official 2017 CX-5 and CR-V EPA fuel economy ratings from FuelEconomy.gov website:

attachment.php

View attachment 216067

Official 2017 2nd-Gen CX-5 EPA Fuel Economy Ratings Are Out
Are these economy figures real world or laboratory based? Because if they are laboratory based, then they should be taken as a guide only. Real world experience is quite different.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Honda reliability has dramatically been worse on their newer car. If you plan to keep this car awhile I suggest the CX-5. Naturally aspirated and a standard automatic transmission are bound to last longer than a turbo and CVT.

I've had my 2017 CX-5 AWD for a week and have average 26.5 MPG

I found my Audi A4 1.8T (petrol)quattro Avant a boring car to drive personally.

I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 (AWD GT with Premium Package) so I am completely biased in that I can easily say its the best car I’ve ever owned...and I’ve had more than my share. My children are grown and I am single so it was all about driving pleasure for me. I researched the CX-5 for the better part of a year and purposefully waited for the 2017 model. I was an early adopter since I needed a car by this weekend when my daughter returned from school. During my year long research, prior to the introduction of the 2017 model, I read a lot of comparisons between the CR-V and the CX-5, even though I never considered the CR-V (I think Hondas are awesome cars, but as others have said are rather soul-less and I was seeking an engaging car that was fun to drive). The consensus of all that I read was that the CX-5 is a better vehicle for the DRIVER, while the CR-V is a better car for everyone else (more room, more cargo space etc.) Again, my totally subjective opinion is that if I were buying a car that I plan to keep 10 years, I would want to avoid CVT (which is increasingly difficult) and turbo. Honestly you’re not going to get hurt either way...but the CX-5, IMHO feel and drives like a VW or and Audi which is what I was after. I hope it keeps brining on the smiles for a good long time! I’d also add if at all possible you should serious consider going for the GT with Premium. I don’t think I will ever be able to have a car w/o HUD ever again...its awesome!!!

Lane Departure... glad you folks are more trusting. My brother tried demonstrating that in his XC90 but it didn't seem to always correct the vehicle when he took his hands off the wheel.

Further, up here in Maine, line paint is awful. Not entirely sure what has changed, but I'd hazard a guess of a combination of Environmental Regulations and cost-cutting. But considering the heavy winters and all the plowing we get, the line paint is probably just decent 4-5 months per year. Often times they don't get around to re-striping until mid summer, and the newer stuff just isn't nearly as reflective as the older paint.

So, if the lines are s***, how good can the system be?

Lane Departure... glad you folks are more trusting. My brother tried demonstrating that in his XC90 but it didn't seem to always correct the vehicle when he took his hands off the wheel.

Further, up here in Maine, line paint is awful. Not entirely sure what has changed, but I'd hazard a guess of a combination of Environmental Regulations and cost-cutting. But considering the heavy winters and all the plowing we get, the line paint is probably just decent 4-5 months per year. Often times they don't get around to re-striping until mid summer, and the newer stuff just isn't nearly as reflective as the older paint.

So, if the lines are s***, how good can the system be?

I was backing up in a school parking lot - RCTA went ballistic - beyond me was a road with cross traffic, so yeah all these features have fail points, two left lane turns will blow BSM - if you are on righter of two lanes.

Well, it's lane assist... it's not intended to keep you in the lane if you take hands off the wheel. It's also not intended to work 100% of the time because of the road line issue you mentioned. What it was built to do is keep watch and alert you (or slightly nudge you) when it can infer that you're going outside the lines.

I just bought a 2017 CX-5 GT last night (Soul Red of course). I have been driving a 2003 CR-V since I bought it new back then. We test drove the CX-5 first and then the CR-V because I totally thought we were going to go with the Honda. It has served me well with little repairs over the years and I just figured we'd like it better. I was wrong. After driving the Mazda, the Honda seemed to be a let down. It was a perfectly fine vehicle, but it just seemed boring compared to the CX-5. We liked the ride in the Mazda better too. Prior to test driving, I researched every model in the class, compared until I was blue in the face. That helped me narrow down to the two. I say do the test drive and you may be able to make a quick decision.

I just bought a 2017 CX-5 GT last night (Soul Red of course). I have been driving a 2003 CR-V since I bought it new back then. We test drove the CX-5 first and then the CR-V because I totally thought we were going to go with the Honda. It has served me well with little repairs over the years and I just figured we'd like it better. I was wrong. After driving the Mazda, the Honda seemed to be a let down. It was a perfectly fine vehicle, but it just seemed boring compared to the CX-5. We liked the ride in the Mazda better too. Prior to test driving, I researched every model in the class, compared until I was blue in the face. That helped me narrow down to the two. I say do the test drive and you may be able to make a quick decision.

Soul Red you say?

http://wp.sixseeds.production.pathe...s/19/2016/11/man-checking-out-other-woman.jpg

Haha. This isn't the first time you've posted that LOL!

Saw a Soul Red 2017 yesterday when I was getting my oil changed. Have to admit that it is a looker (even if I don't think the 2017 styling is).

Haha couldn't resist.

Haven't seen a 17 in person yet let alone a red one.

They changed the way they test the MPG, so most cars went down for the 2017 model compared to previous years.

bluegrass disappeared. What did he buy????
Heard you can get 25% off the new Rogue. Wait for 2018 model and Nissan dealer will throw in 2017 left over Rogues in buy 1 get 1 free.

Heard you can get 25% off the new Rogue. Wait for 2018 model and Nissan dealer will throw in 2017 left over Rogues in buy 1 get 1 free.

LOL! That's because their CVT is so god awful to drive. Literally the second worst vehicle I test drove back in 2013.

Yet, see so many of them out there.

Disappear?

I didn't disappear. I just started this thread yesterday!

I'll be out of town all next week, so I probably won't have time to test drive either vehicle until I get back.

I do appreciate everyone's insights and experiences. I'm leaning towards the CX-5, I just hate that I have to spend $3000 over the Touring to get the safety features (without forgoing moonroof, Bose stereo, ect).

They changed the way they test the MPG, so most cars went down for the 2017 model compared to previous years.
EPA did change the test procedure for 2017 MY, but all the EPA ratings prior to 2017 MY are also adjusted on the website. The result for 2016 CX-5 the highway rating on AWD has downgraded from 30 to 29 mpg. The EPA fuel economy comparison between 2017 and adjusted 2016 numbers from their website are legit and fair.

Hey Folks,
New member here, and long time Nissan owner.
I too have been shopping around for a new ride, and have seriously looked at the CX5.
The CRV is off my list for several reasons: I hate CVT's, and that little turbo engine gives me the creeps. No way is it going to stand up to long term use.
I have been to a dealership and checked out the CX5, but have not driven one. It looks pretty nice.
The one thing that no-one has mentioned yet, and the one thing that is stopping me from pulling the trigger is: RUST.
Mazda has a horrible record and reputation for rust issues.
Supposedly they have rectified the problem, but just last year Mazda issued a 2.2 million vehicle recall, for premature rust. This included the CX5.
I live in a snow and road salt city, so this will be a huge issue.
If anyone has any comments about this, I'd love to here it.
Thanks.

Mazda has a horrible record and reputation for rust issues.
Supposedly they have rectified the problem, but just last year Mazda issued a 2.2 million vehicle recall, for premature rust. This included the CX5.

Is this the recall you are talking about?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/mazda-recalls-22-million-cars-over-rust-risk-45587

Sounds like it had to do with the struts that hold open the trunk lid. I have to think its and isolated issue....and its the CX-3...NOT the CX-5 that was recalled

I'm a new owner as well....this doesn't concern me

No, the rust recall on struts does include CX-5. And the parts are still not available yet in the US!

I'm part of this recall. I guess now I know why I haven't heard anything back on this. I wasn't aware that it was a rust problem. I thought it was a manufacturing issue but obviously I haven't been following it too closely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back