Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing you're not a reviewer, otherwise you'd just say 'The CX-5 is better because it doesn't have a CVT' and call it a day. Fortunately these auto reviewers look at the entire package instead of cherrypicking certain features about cars to make an argument for them. And again I'll ask, what does it say about the CX-5 when a car with a CVT transmission beats a vehicle with a 6 speed auto? Like I said, good thing these reviewers look at more than just a few things when making these comparisons.

LOL - They also said the following:

Horsepower is listed at 187, just a few shy of the CR-V’s rating, and torque is a tad better at 185 lb-ft. Although Mazda has begun to dabble in turbocharging, the CX-5’s four-cylinder is naturally aspirated and paired with a conventional six-speed automatic, delivering a quick jump thanks to an eager throttle. Power builds smoothly, but it’s a bit loud if you really push it, though it’s nowhere near as unpleasant as the CR-V.

Reading comprehension is so lacking these days.

And you think there aren't people who see the CVT and immediately say no? Take off your blinders. As I said, different people value different things. Some might actually be different from yours....how about that? By your criteria, everyone should just drive a CR-V.

Like I said, safety ratings weren't taken into either comparison. If they were, I don't think it would be as close. And who said anything that's not a sports car is an appliance? Can you quote where I said this? I said most CUVs in this sector/category are appliances. I'm sorry if you feel offended that I call these CUVs appliances but thats' what I consider them. I personally don't buy sub-200HP SUVs to have fun, I buy them for practicality. If I want something fun I'll buy a car or bike not an underpowered SUV.

Like you said...your views only. Don't speak for the rest of driving society.

We can't all drop money on a Porsche or a WRX. I'm a one car house. I can have fun with my CX-5. Sorry you can't with your CR-V.

So...a CX-5 win? (thumb)

Last edited:
Every one of the head to head comparisons of these two that I recall reading, (and I've done nothing but research cars, dealerships and leases in the last week and a half) have said it's very close and essentially comes down to what you're looking for. I completely agree with the sentiment - and the head to head comparisons! Overall, the CR-V is a better car for many that are looking for a new vehicle in this range. But, if you want a fun experience driving, want a classier interior and better looks and can forego the lack of AA/AP currently, the CX-5 is a better choice.

The CR-V is soul-less. I don't see how anyone could deny that claim. The lag on acceleration is annoying to me after comparing the two. It's louder than the CX-5. It's got more cargo space, handles more like a minivan, has basic if not boring or altogether unattractive styling, has more room and has most of the same safety features, along with the AA/AP. And, it wins in safety ratings. Nearly all of your major wins are soccer mom wins BTW. Those not "missing" the HUD over at Honda forums probably haven't experienced the HUD. Because after each of my test drives, I found I missed the HUD when I got back into my car.

The CX-5 feels more premium inside, has far better styling, much more responsive, sportier handling, and it's got the HUD. I could care less about the Apple/Android thing.

I got a call today from my Acura dealer on my way to the Mazda dealer to sign my paperwork. Acura offered me a top of the line RDX, fully loaded, HUGE discount on sales price vs MSRP, and with my miniscule tradein value, I would be paying the same monthly as the Mazda. (without trade) I took the Mazda. It's much more fun to drive even with it's 4 cylinder vs the 6 of the RDX, and even though I would have been getting a far better deal on the Acura, and there's no HUD on the Acura.

Yes, well said. I also passed on the better equipped, and cheaper Jeep Cherokee with a pano roof too. The CX-5 was just much better. That's nice that you have one car you enjoy driving Mango. I enjoy driving both of mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

335is to WRX? Sorry for your loss. Seems that pimped out CRV really did cost you some fun there Mango..don't forget to pay for the CVT option on the WRX(butt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back