Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love how C&D uses carry-on luggages and ping-pong balls as measurement units, very practical:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pace-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7
Seems like the real world application is closer than the scientific measurements. With seats folded up both the CRV and CX-5 fit an identical 10 luggage cases. The CX-5 had more front seat storage which is kind of weird.
But in that Car and Driver article it features 2016 CX-5 which has larger cargo volume than 2017 CX-5:

2017 Mazda CX-52016 Mazda CX-52017 Honda CR-V
Cargo Volume
(cu ft)
30.9 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
59.6 - 2nd-row Seatback Down
34.1 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
65.4 - 2nd-row Seatback Down
39.2 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
75.8 - 2nd-row Seatback Down

But in that Car and Driver article it features 2016 CX-5 which has larger cargo volume than 2017 CX-5:

2017 Mazda CX-52016 Mazda CX-52017 Honda CR-V
Cargo Volume
(cu ft)
30.9 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
59.6 - 2nd-row Seatback Down
34.1 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
65.4 - 2nd-row Seatback Down
39.2 - 2nd-row Seatback Up
75.8 - 2nd-row Seatback Down

Yeah but despite the cargo volume going up or down a bit its not like you can add 1 more luggage case. The CRV has 5 cu ft more than the 2016.5 CX-5 yet they still can only load the same amount of luggage cases. So again in real world usage they're actually closer than what the Volume measurements indicate.

Now for the 2017....It likely still stores the same 10 luggage cases as the CRV. If not then what, 9 or 9.5 luggage cases? Still a good amount of space imho.

Yeah but despite the cargo volume going up or down a bit its not like you can add 1 more luggage case. The CRV has 5 cu ft more than the 2016.5 CX-5 yet they still can only load the same amount of luggage cases. So again in real world usage they're actually closer than what the Volume measurements indicate.

Now for the 2017....It likely still stores the same 10 luggage cases as the CRV. If not then what, 9 or 9.5 luggage cases? Still a good amount of space imho.

So similar a vehicle, I'm betting it's the quirks that sell one cargo space over the other. Such as a seat that folds a little flatter, or you like to carry a gallon of something around and it fits in the CX-5's little cubby spots so well, or something dumb and quirky like that. It's not like you're comparing a RAV4 to a Sequoia.

So similar a vehicle, I'm betting it's the quirks that sell one cargo space over the other. Such as a seat that folds a little flatter, or you like to carry a gallon of something around and it fits in the CX-5's little cubby spots so well, or something dumb and quirky like that. It's not like you're comparing a RAV4 to a Sequoia.

My thoughts precisely.

Just to add to/correct one of my earlier points, Honda does not have .99% financing on the 2017, or at least it doesn't any more. I thought it did but it clearly doesn't today. That basically makes the financing a draw between the cars for me: 1.99 Mazda and 2.09 through my credit union. It also looks like they may have marginally raised their prices as the current prices aren't matching 100% to some of the sites.

I ran a spreadsheet comparing the CX5 Touring vs the EX and EX-L models and you see significant savings with the CX5, especially if you are eligible for the loyalty bonus. I used TrueCar pricing and my local tax rate. Essentially, it's a $1,000 vs the EX and around $4,000 for the EX-L. I included the i-sense package on the Mazda's for my calculations.

It's not a clean comparison because of the features but it's close. Also, if you follow the Honda forums you see a lot of reports of bigger discounts than TrueCar is reporting. There's probably some bias due to, "hey, I got screwed, sure I'll post that" and TrueCar being an average would lag behind the current market but it does point to the fact that Mazda's are a pretty good value vs the CRV.

Mazda's are a pretty good value vs the CRV.

The price i got my touring with bose - is what many were paying for LX CRV - the one with those hub caps
(laugh)

But I am seeing Honda become desperate and go the Nissan / Hyundai route offering large discounts. It will keep the bean counters happy but will hurt their margins like it has done for the other manufacturers.
The features I got for my car - were in Rav4 spec'd for 29K USD - in short my CX-5 blew the pants of all but Kia / Hyundai / Nissan in terms of value and I wont touch those brands with a 100 ft pole.

Mine was an exception case as the dealer was going to get incentives based on my sale. Last day of the month.

I ran a spreadsheet comparing the CX5 Touring vs the EX and EX-L models and you see significant savings with the CX5, especially if you are eligible for the loyalty bonus. I used TrueCar pricing and my local tax rate. Essentially, it's a $1,000 vs the EX and around $4,000 for the EX-L. I included the i-sense package on the Mazda's for my calculations..

How are you getting this information?

When I go to TrueCar, they don't even list the 2017 CX-5. Only the 2016 and 2016.5.

bluegrass,

You have to click the view 2017 model link underneath the model name then reconfigure everything. FWIW, I ran the numbers last night, reran them just now and they've changed, everything went up. I wish I could trust TrueCar but I don't feel like I can anymore.

But can you really trust anything to do with pricing anyway? The CX5 claims a difference between MSRP and invoice of $800 in some configurations, yeah, right. Those may be the correct numbers but it just means they've moved the profit into some other place where we can't see it so easily.

I'm a new CX-5 owner (2016.5), and the only other vehicle I test drove and liked was the CRV. I initially liked the CRV better, but Mazda was much more willing to work with me on price, and so that's what I went with. I was looking for something smaller than my F-250, that was more nimble and easier to park, but with a place for me to carry my bowling balls (two 2-ball rollers) and the occasional sack of horse feed. So I started looking at the CUV's. I didn't need three rows of seats since most of the time it's just me and occasionally my husband in it, so didn't bother with the bigger SUV's (see? this size is not so silly after all). I did want one that would let me merge onto freeway traffic easily, and both the Honda and the Mazda did that without a problem. So for me it came down to what could I get for the money, and Mazda won hands down. Mine is the GT model, with the iActive sense and Technology packages, and I just love it! It has so many cool features, the adaptive cruise control rocks, the auto-dimming brights, rain-sensing wipers, the headlights moving when going around a corner (I forget what that is called), the sport mode for the transmission - just so many cool things about this car!

I do have a list of things I wish it had, though - memory seats, a remote hatch release (either inside or on the key fob), digital speedometer (the CRV had that and I really liked it), and an adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat. Not having any of those was not a deal-breaker for me, though, and this thing is a blast to drive. I was prepared to be neutral about it (I love love love my F250), but I am liking it more and more every time I drive it. One thing I don't pay attention to is my gas mileage - but that's not why I bought it. It goes further on less than my truck does, and that's all that matters!

eta: I see the 2017 models have memory seats....... but I would not have gotten the same sweet deal had I waited on them to be available! They weren't in the showrooms yet when I was shopping.

Last edited:
2horses- you do have adjustable lumbar on the driver's seat, but not the passenger.

I must have missed that, then - it took me for-freaking-ever to get the seat adjusted juuuuuust right (so hubby can't drive it 'cause he'd have to change it), that I probably passed right over it. Thanks! If you find a remote release for the hatch, be sure and let me know about that too!

2horses all the features you asked were in 17 CX-5. All of them.

So they read and implemented my suggestions in their survey???? LOL!!! I won't be keeping this one for long (3 yr lease), so who knows what will be available when I look again?

I do have a list of things I wish it had, though - memory seats, a remote hatch release (either inside or on the key fob), digital speedometer (the CRV had that and I really liked it), and an adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat. Not having any of those was not a deal-breaker for me, though, and this thing is a blast to drive. I was prepared to be neutral about it (I love love love my F250), but I am liking it more and more every time I drive it. One thing I don't pay attention to is my gas mileage - but that's not why I bought it. It goes further on less than my truck does, and that's all that matters!

eta: I see the 2017 models have memory seats....... but I would not have gotten the same sweet deal had I waited on them to be available! They weren't in the showrooms yet when I was shopping.

2017 model:

• 2 Memory function seats for driver. If it's similar to Mazda 6, then you can program individual key fob to remember seat settings.
  • Lumbar support should be power operated
  • Remote boot release on key fob & just under drivers air con vent
  • Digital speedometer is part of HUD

I'm a new CX-5 owner (2016.5), and the only other vehicle I test drove and liked was the CRV.

I do have a list of things I wish it had, though - memory seats, a remote hatch release (either inside or on the key fob), digital speedometer (the CRV had that and I really liked it), and ,an adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat. Not having any of those was not a deal-breaker for me, though, and this thing is a blast to drive. I was prepared to be neutral about it (I love love love my F250), but I am liking it more and more every time I drive it. One thing I don't pay attention to is my gas mileage - but that's not why I bought it. It goes further on less than my truck does, and that's all that matters!

For a while I thought you're talking about 4-way power lumbar support adjustment on CR-V which is very nice!

Yeah power seat should always come with memory function! It's a lot more convenient if you have two drivers for the car. Once you hit your remote key fob to unlock the door, your seat will be adjusted to your saved position! Unfortunately you're not in Canada otherwise you'll have 8-way power driver's seat with memory and 6-way power passenger seat standard in your 2016.5 GT!

I'm in the same boat, I'm considering the same two cars (although it's the CX-5 GT with premium package). I've taken an extended test drive in both 2017 model cars recently. For what it's worth here's what I thought.

= How come so little is mentioned about the CX-5 head's up display? I can see my speed, the speed limit, if there's anyone in my blindspot(s), etc all without taking my eyes off the road and the car in front of me. It's in color, it adjusts itself to my seat height (if you wear dark glasses, don't use polarizing lenses or you won't be able to see it). During my drive this was probably my most used "active safety device" and Mazda has executed it well. I really liked this feature.

= The CRV is slightly faster in a straight line than the CX-5 (the difference is barely noticable), however there is a bit of turbo lag on the Honda. The CX-5 engine, while not quite as quick, revs very eagerly and has no lag.

= The CX-5 handles better, we already knew that... noticeably better.

= The execution of the CVT on the Honda is very good. It's not rubber bandy at all, I don't care about the dreaded "droning". CVT transmissions give both better acceleration and better gas mileage than regular automatics and that's pretty significant. CVT's allow an engine to stay in the most advantageous part of its powerband, so engines mated to CVT's can be tuned for max torque and horsepower rather than tuning for a broader torque band and torque at lower rpms (which is what you need for standard and automatic transmissions).

= The Honda seemed noisier under hard acceleration, this isn't surprising as turbos make more noise. However turbos also retain more power at higher altitudes if that's a factor.

= The CX-5 was quieter than the CRV, at least that was my subjective opinion.

= The CX-5 looks better than the Honda, and it looks better in all colors (obviously this is completely subjective). The Honda did look pretty good in "modern steel". The CX-5 looks great in red and white, and I live in the hot desert, so... white.

= The infotainment system in the Honda is better, aside from the fact that it has Apple and Andriod integration, it's more intutive to use and the touchscreen feature doesn't shut off when you're moving.

= The back-up camera in the Honda had more features: Bendy lines when you're backing up with the wheel turned, and three camera views including top-down. The CX-5 backup camera was good, but lacked these features.

= Honda's lane keeping seemed more advanced, I don't know if the CX-5 lane keeping supposed to just alert you or steer for you; but I never noticed it trying to steer me back into the lane, the Honda did steer for me.

= The Honda had more cargo room both with the back seats up and down. It did a little better in back seat passenger room too, although the CX-5 was pretty good in this category. The CX-5's rear passenger doors opened really wide which made entry and exit easier. I don't care about the hand's free rear hatch, but the Honda has it.

= Both cars have nice interior materials, really nice, like there's not much difference between them and a luxury SUV nice. I liked the design of the Honda's interior (subjective) better with its center console sloping up to the dash. The CX-5 has more of a "cliff" type dash with the radio head unit knobs down too low for me. On the CX-5, even if you get the light colored upholstery, the dash is all black... which is kind of monotonous and makes the care look smaller inside.

I haven't decided which one to get yet... good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, I'm considering the same two cars (although it's the CX-5 GT with premium package). I've taken an extended test drive in both 2017 model cars recently. For what it's worth here's what I thought.

= How come so little is mentioned about the CX-5 head's up display? I can see my speed, the speed limit, if there's anyone in my blindspot(s), etc all without taking my eyes off the road and the car in front of me. During my drive this was probably my most used "active safety device" and Mazda has executed it well. I really liked this feature.

= The CRV is slightly faster in a straight line than the CX-5 (the difference is barely noticable), however there is a bit of turbo lag on the Honda. The CX-5 engine, while not quite as quick, revs very eagerly and has no lag.

= The CX-5 handles better, we already knew that... noticeably better.

= The execution of the CVT on the Honda is very good. It's not rubber bandy at all, I don't care about the dreaded "droning". CVT transmissions give both better acceleration and better gas mileage than regular automatics and that's pretty significant. CVT's allow an engine to stay in the most advantageous part of its powerband, so engines mated to CVT's can be tuned for max torque and horsepower rather than tuning for a broader torque band and torque at lower rpms (which is what you need for standard and automatic transmissions).

= The Honda seemed noisier under hard acceleration, this isn't surprising as turbos make more noise. However turbos also retain more power at higher altitudes if that's a factor.

= The CX-5 was quieter than the CRV, at least that was my subjective opinion.

= The CX-5 looks better than the Honda, and it looks better in all colors (obviously this is completely subjective). The Honda did look pretty good in "modern steel". The CX-5 looks great in red and white, and I live in the hot desert, so... white.

= The infotainment system in the Honda is better, aside from the fact that it has Apple and Andriod integration, it's more intutive to use and the touchscreen doesn't shut off when you're moving.

= The back-up camera in the Honda had more features: Bendy lines when you're backing up with the wheel turned, and three camera views including top-down. The CX-5 backup camera was good, but lacked these features.

= Honda's lane keeping seemed more advanced, I don't know if the CX-5 lane keeping supposed to just alert you or steer for you; but I never noticed it trying to steer me back into the lane, the Honda did steer for me.

= The Honda had more cargo room both with the back seats up and down. It did a little better in back seat passenger room too, although the CX-5 was pretty good in this category. The CX-5's rear passenger doors opened really wide which made entry and exit easier. I don't care about the hand's free rear hatch, but the Honda has it.

= Both cars have nice interior materials, really nice, like there's not much difference between them and a luxury SUV nice. I liked the design of the Honda's interior (subjective) better with its center console sloping up to the dash. The CX-5 has more of a "cliff" type dash with the radio head unit knobs down too low for me. On the CX-5, even if you get the light colored upholstery, the dash is all black... which is kind of monotonous and makes the care look smaller inside.

I haven't decided which one to get yet... good luck with your decision.

Great review!

Mazda's lane keep assist is supposed to gently move you back into the lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back