3.0 Heads (FREEZE PLUGS???)

:
06 mazda 6
I had a shade tree mechanic start to replace my head gaskets. He tore the engine down, then sent me a text telling where I could find my car. (With all remaining parts in the trunk) . So I got my car and had another mechanic friend help get the heads and intake on. Now I find that the driver side of both heads are missing freeze plugs. The bolt in on the back head, about an inch and a quarter. And the tap in freeze plug in the front head. About an inch and a half. Guessing sizes. Haven't had them sized by a machinist yet. Called Mazda and they referred to the plugs as non-serviceable. Said to replace the heads. Umm not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can send pictures.

Try posting on Mazda6Club and 6Crew. Only advice I can offer is that dealer will always opt for replacing parts instead of fixing. That said, there is a whole aftermarket industry that supports rebuilding engines and components. I'm certain there has to be aftermarket freeze plugs availble online somewhere. Have you checked out Summit Racing? Rock Auto?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Advancedautoparts.com

I did a generic search on a '07 Mazda 6s 3.0L and they have a few options. I've never shopped at their store but the ship.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Ok so the holes are not freeze plugs. There is a pipe that runs between the heads and the coolant temperature sensor is located in that pipe. This "pipe" is not there anymore. My guess the mechanic broke it trying to remove it. Mazda says it's "non-serviceable". They replace the whole head. Anybody ever deal this? Open to suggestions...

Post to Mazda6Club and 6Crew forums. There are a few people there still running the 1st Gen 6 with 3.0. I'm sure they can help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back