Touch Up Paint for Soul Red Crystal

For those of you who may be wondering, I just got off the phone with Mazda Customer Support. After they took my question about touch paint with respect to paint codes (41V for Soul Red/46V for Soul Red Crystal), it appears as though they are maintaining the same part number for both touch up paints.

I'm new to Mazda family as well (and new car ownership) and also managed to ding my car just 2 days after owning it. I scraped the edge of my garage with the front right bumper when backing out, and although most of it was simple paint transfer, there are a couple small paint chips down to the metal (plastic? I don't know what the bumper is made out of). So I, too, am in need of some 2017 Soul Red touch up paint. I am distraught. I am also why I can't have nice things.

For those of you who may be wondering, I just got off the phone with Mazda Customer Support. After they took my question about touch paint with respect to paint codes (41V for Soul Red/46V for Soul Red Crystal), it appears as though they are maintaining the same part number for both touch up paints.
Which means one needs to specify the year and model details so they don't muck up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I ordered a Dr. Colorchip kit using the previous Soul Red paint code (41V). Holding the bottle of paint up to the car is looks nearly identical. I will post pics once I fill in the chips!

I ordered a Dr. Colorchip kit using the previous Soul Red paint code (41V). Holding the bottle of paint up to the car is looks nearly identical. I will post pics once I fill in the chips!
Interested in how this turns out, as I got a chip on my 2017 as well.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

I finally got around to touching up my paint chips using the Dr. Colorchip standard kit with Soul Red (41V). This is the result I got using 41V, be aware that Soul Red Crystal is actually 46V.

All in all I think it turned out great, but if you have the impression that the kit will completely make chips invisible then nothing will probably impress you! From almost all angles it takes much longer to identify the chips and my wife could barely find them.

Chip Before
Chip_before.jpg

Soul Red Crystal vs 41V
Color_Match.jpg

Application of Dr. Colorchip
Paint_Smear.jpg

1st Coat
1st_coat.jpg

3rd Coat
3rd_coat.jpg

This is probably the 10th coat I did. I tried a few by just dabbing the paint in the chip itself, but when I used the blending solution is actually made it look worse on those attempts. The dab and smear method seems to work pretty good. After a few coats though I wasn't seeing much of a difference so I called it quits. From about 2ft away they are nearly invisible unless you know exactly where they are.
After_2.jpg

After_1.jpg

Very impressed with your write-up and pics, thanks for taking the time and effort to do that. YOU ROCK!!!(band2)

You could probably create a thread in the HOW TO section from this...

Oh and your results look great, I could not see repaired area after your 10th application.

Wow - good job on applying the touch up. I really can't see the chip in the last pic.

In the interest of being unbiased towards a product, in direct sunlight when you get up close you can still see the chip. I was walking out to my car yesterday and the sun was to my back, and the chips did stand out a little. In indirect light, or a cloudy day they are nearly invisible. Soul Red is a tough paint to color match perfectly. Overall I am still very happy with it.

In the interest of being unbiased towards a product, in direct sunlight when you get up close you can still see the chip. I was walking out to my car yesterday and the sun was to my back, and the chips did stand out a little. In indirect light, or a cloudy day they are nearly invisible. Soul Red is a tough paint to color match perfectly. Overall I am still very happy with it.
Looks great from the pictures though. I too, contacted the dealer for the 46V touch up pen, and they are not sure when they'll actually get it. I contacted a local shop that specializes in paint chip repair kit, and they were nice enough to customized a sample for me to try. Once I get a hold of the kit, I'll report back with the results, and share their contact if you guys are interested.

I called Mazda directly and they said they are keeping 41V as the touch up pen for soul red crystal.

I called Mazda directly and they said they are keeping 41V as the touch up pen for soul red crystal.
Doesn't make sense. I think they meant they're "close enough" and they won't bother making it. =/

Just got my custom mixed paint. I'm going to do the repair trm., but the colour looks like a good match! Keep you folks posted.

d6cf515a526637e0279645d28c07edd3.jpg

Lol, was reading over your thread the other day saving it for future reference. Well, yesterday, my wife got a HEALTHY chip on driver's side rear door. I will post before and afters when I fix it up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Got a chance to try out the kit from chipfixx last night. Really happy to report back with the results. Took a few trials to get it to fill the edge properly, and heat gun definitely helps.

Overall quality seems great. Hope this is not something I'll be doing often with this car. =p

d075fad17c74c69815f4f036c840eeb3.jpg
197240d7204c5bf5b56d2453f3b7b396.jpg
0d9775dd9838cf15db7991f83fd9620a.jpg
ce5312b97a424d1046a6462b784883e9.jpg

Hi guys. I'm from the Philippine Islands and this is my first post. My Soul Red Crystal will be arriving next month so I'm doing some research specifically maintenance etc. You guys are great. I would most probably order the touch up paint in advance.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

I finally got around to touching up my paint chips using the Dr. Colorchip standard kit with Soul Red (41V). This is the result I got using 41V, be aware that Soul Red Crystal is actually 46V.

All in all I think it turned out great, but if you have the impression that the kit will completely make chips invisible then nothing will probably impress you! From almost all angles it takes much longer to identify the chips and my wife could barely find them.

Chip Before
Chip_before.jpg

Soul Red Crystal vs 41V
Color_Match.jpg

Application of Dr. Colorchip
Paint_Smear.jpg

1st Coat
1st_coat.jpg

3rd Coat
3rd_coat.jpg

This is probably the 10th coat I did. I tried a few by just dabbing the paint in the chip itself, but when I used the blending solution is actually made it look worse on those attempts. The dab and smear method seems to work pretty good. After a few coats though I wasn't seeing much of a difference so I called it quits. From about 2ft away they are nearly invisible unless you know exactly where they are.
After_2.jpg

After_1.jpg

Hey, looks great! I got the same kit as well, didn't do my reserach before finding out the 2016 red is different than 2017 red. But I agree, they are pretty close.

Quick Q, I only did like 2 coats and it didn't fill in very well.. I eventually put it away for another day. Going to give it another try.. did you use the squeege or your finger to smear it? My issue was the squeege would pull the paint away from the chip.

Back