Touch Up Paint for Soul Red Crystal

I didn't my first hand waxing today on my 16 GT Sonic Silver and I do think the paint for all the Mazda's are a bit brittle.. Mine is only 8 months old with 5K miles on it and I has so many rock chips on the front end and hood.. now compared to my 20 yr. old BMW THAT HAS ONLY half the amount of chips this CX5 has...

Glad the touch up paint worked and you did a good job looks clean... I order the Sonic Silver from the dealer 3.5 weeks ago and I've called every week and they keep telling me it will be there soon... I'll be looking at the same place you got yours from.. I feel I now know why the dealer at the time of purchase was pushing the clear bra protection package so hard...

Last edited:
Mazda paint is thinner than other car manufacturers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

How far up the hood? If close to the front I would try some of the stated fixes and get a clear bra on there.

IMO: You won't regret it.
Is it too late now? With existing chips, there's going to be pits in the paint. Might end up as air pockets?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Got a chance to try out the kit from chipfixx last night. Really happy to report back with the results. Took a few trials to get it to fill the edge properly, and heat gun definitely helps.

Overall quality seems great. Hope this is not something I'll be doing often with this car. =p

d075fad17c74c69815f4f036c840eeb3.jpg
197240d7204c5bf5b56d2453f3b7b396.jpg
0d9775dd9838cf15db7991f83fd9620a.jpg
ce5312b97a424d1046a6462b784883e9.jpg

Looks fabulous! Where can I get those chipfixx?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Chipfixx photos. Made me order a kit for my 3 and it's just gotten it's first 2 chips on my drivers door - stupid gravel truck. If that goes well will do the same for the CX.

One more thing please. Can you tell me what I should order? "Mazda" "2017" does not have any option from the menu. Thanks again!
I guess they haven't updated the inventory online. You can email them and tell them you have a 2017 with a paint code 46V. They should be able to take it from there.

According to the Chipfixx website:

"Please note we do NOT ship to addresses outside of Canada."

Anyone know of a good supplier that is in or ships to the US?

I like that these kits come with the clearcoat, but I guess I could just go with the Mazda touch-up paint (for my Machine Gray) and find some clearcoat elsewhere.

Last edited:
According to the Chipfixx website:

"Please note we do NOT ship to addresses outside of Canada."

Anyone know of a good supplier that is in or ships to the US?

I like that these kits come with the clearcoat, but I guess I could just go with the Mazda touch-up paint (for my Machine Gray) and find some clearcoat elsewhere.
This will be a problem for me as most of my friends and relatives live in the US .

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Got my 2017 CX-5 last week and already have two small chips on the drivers side door. Mazda does not have anything in stock in terms of touch up paint, what do you guys recommend I do in the mean time?

The new Soul Red paint is terrible. My 2017 CX-5 has 7k miles and about a dozen chips now. Mazda won't do anything and the dealer won't do anything. I ordered touchup back in August and was told it was on back order. I checked again yesterday, 12/23. Still on back order. I love the car but would never opt for the Soul Red again.

The new Soul Red paint is terrible. My 2017 CX-5 has 7k miles and about a dozen chips now. Mazda won't do anything and the dealer won't do anything. I ordered touchup back in August and was told it was on back order. I checked again yesterday, 12/23. Still on back order. I love the car but would never opt for the Soul Red again.
It's not that colour, it's Mazda's paints in general and their process/standards applying it

Back