What P225/65/17 tires are best for CX-5 AWD?? (3 seasons)

:
ss
I'm about to need new tires for my AWD CX-5. (ie P225/65/17)

I only care about 3 seasons because I use dedicated winter tires. (ie Nokian Hakkapaleta R2 SUV which are fantastic)

What are 2-3 of the best tires for a CX-5 based on 3 season performance, good handling, low noise and PNW rain? I'm just curious if there's anything better then the stock Yokohama Geolanders.

TIA

I am riding on Cooper Discoverer SRX. They are great in rain. I split time between West Sonoma County and Humboldt County. Lots of rain. They are fantastic for that. We were pelted this winter, I was driving back and forth on roads with water pouring across from the mountains, not once was there any hint of a problem.

I have a great luck with Cooper tires in the past and you can usually save a bit going that route.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Changed to 225/65/17 General Altimax RT43 H series tires on our CX-5 AWD 31K+ miles ago.
Estimate almost 20K of the miles are on the RT43's. We switch to (16") Altimax Arctic's for winter.
For us, 3 season handling has been Zoom-Zoom Great, noise wise could be a bit quieter, just measured thread depth at 9/32", wear @38psi is even.
I suggest looking at Tire Rack for a variety of reasons, best is see a tires overall diameter in Specs list.

So far I have seen people who switched to General AltiMAX RT43 tires here all seem like them a lot. And the customer reviews from Tire Rack seem to support that too.

If you didn't have similar problems before the tire replacement, I believe you have a defected Firestone Destination LE2 tire. But if you'd like to change to other tires, here are partial lists of 225/65R17 tires in different categories for your comparison. Personally I believe T-rated Continental CrossContact LX20 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire is fine and should be much better than O.E. Yokohama Geolandar G91A Light Truck Highway All-Season tire. But since the top speed for our CX-5 is 120 mph, I'd stay with at least H-rated tires as T-rated tires are designed for the top speed of 118 mph.

Light Truck Highway All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Yokohama Geolandar G91AP225/65R17
100H
280 B A44 psi10/32"26 lbs.OEM - None$200.55
- TR
Michelin Defender LTX M/S225/65R17
102H
720 A A44 psi10.5/32"29 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$154.97
- TR
Firestone Destination LE2225/65R17
102H
520 A B44 psi12/32"28 lbs.60,000 Miles
5 Years
$125.45
- TR

Grand/Standard Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Continental TrueContact225/65R17
102T
800 A B44 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.90,000 Miles
6 Years
$113.56
- TR
General AltiMAX RT43225/65R17
102H
700 A A51 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$100.25
- TR

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
All Season Plus
225/65R17
102H
740 A A44 psi11/32"28 lbs.65,000 Miles$131.50
- TR
Continental CrossContact
LX20
225/65R17
102T
740 A B57 psi12/32"27.7 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$122.45
- TR

XL = Extra Load
TR = TireRack.com

Performance Category Rank from TireRack.com:

Highway All-Season Tires:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - #1 out of 32
Firestone Destination LE2 - #3 out of 32
Yokohama Geolandar G91A - #24 out of 32

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:
General AltiMAX RT43 - #5 out of 41

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:
Continental TrueContact - #1 out of 20

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus - #2 out of 21
Continental CrossContact LX20 - #5 out of 21

I just had the junk stock Toyos changed out on mine at almost exactly 20k. Went with the continentals. So far I've been happy but it's only been 3500 miles. Rides better, quieter, better handling and WAY better fuel mileage. Computer average went from 23.9 to 24.3 in that 3500. Seems to be pretty dramatic change in that short of a time. I need to start tracking with fuelly again though.

Choosing a tire is somewhat subjective.
Some want quietness, others want handling.
I would just spend time on tirerack.com and do research.
You can ask local tireshops to match their prices. Some of them do.

for Mazda's you will get the best overall performance and handling with Yokohama tires. (not the geolander crap)

I would recommend looking at only this brand for the best performance with a Mazda. I recommend the avid envigors, advan sport, advan a83a, s drives etc.

for Mazda's you will get the best overall performance and handling with Yokohama tires. (not the geolander crap)

I would recommend looking at only this brand for the best performance with a Mazda. I recommend the avid envigors, advan sport, advan a83a, s drives etc.

Comments like these really bother me. Unless you can provide evidence that shows Yokohamas being better than all the others, I would recommend the OP skip over your post.

And to be honest, I took a quick look at the official test reports on some of those tires you mentioned over on Tirerack and from what I saw, there are better options from other manufacturers.

Comments like these really bother me. Unless you can provide evidence that shows Yokohamas being better than all the others, I would recommend the OP skip over your post.

And to be honest, I took a quick look at the official test reports on some of those tires you mentioned over on Tirerack and from what I saw, there are better options from other manufacturers.

Fully agree. The stock Yokohamas were so terrible in my opinion, I replaced them fairly early.

GJ, gonna need some data for that assertion, more than "they come with Yokohamas". This isn't the first time you've made this claim.

Last edited:

Fully agree. The stock Yokohamas were so terrible in my opinion, I replaced them fairly early.

GJ, gonna need some data for that assertion, more than "they come with Yokohamas". This isn't the first time you've made this claim.

Yokohama advan a83a tires came factory for my Mazda. I switched to pilot sport a/s3 tires and simply did not get the same steering precision and response in the rain like I did with the Yokohamas.

Its not about which tire is best (although yokos are very good) but which brand of tire is best suited to your car and tuned to your chassis.

Yokohamas are made in Japan along with mazdas, and they are well tuned together. Try it yourself, because you will not get optimal performance with any other tire.

Yokohama advan a83a tires came factory for my Mazda. I switched to pilot sport a/s3 tires and simply did not get the same steering precision and response in the rain like I did with the Yokohamas.

Its not about which tire is best (although yokos are very good) but which brand of tire is best suited to your car and tuned to your chassis.

Yokohamas are made in Japan along with mazdas, and they are well tuned together. Try it yourself, because you will not get optimal performance with any other tire.

Wait...so you tried 2 different tires and that was enough to make a complete blanket statement about entire tire brands?

And to your second point, just because they are both made in Japan, that's enough to say they are "tuned better to each other"?

Sorry but this is conjecture, not proof. At best you have proof that one tire model performed better than another for you. Nothing more.

Yokohama advan a83a tires came factory for my Mazda. I switched to pilot sport a/s3 tires and simply did not get the same steering precision and response in the rain like I did with the Yokohama’s.

It’s not about which tire is best (although yokos are very good) but which brand of tire is best suited to your car and tuned to your chassis.

Yokohama’s are made in Japan along with mazdas, and they are well tuned together. Try it yourself, because you will not get optimal performance with any other tire.

Yeah, tire manufacturers don't tune their tires to specific cars. Economically, their tires need to work with a multitude of different vehicles with different setups and varying conditions.

Wait...so you tried 2 different tires and that was enough to make a complete blanket statement about entire tire brands?

And to your second point, just because they are both made in Japan, that's enough to say they are "tuned better to each other"?

Sorry but this is conjecture, not proof. At best you have proof that one tire model performed better than another for you. Nothing more.

Yeah, tire manufacturers don't tune their tires to specific cars. Economically, their tires need to work with a multitude of different vehicles with different setups and varying conditions.

until you try Yokohama's performance tires on your car, not that Geolander garbage, you will have no idea what a tire that is perfectly tuned to your chassis is supposed to feel like.

until you try Yokohama's performance tires on your car, not that Geolander garbage, you will have no idea what a tire that is perfectly tuned to your chassis is supposed to feel like.

What does that even mean. You think they took a Yokohama tire and tuned it to your Mazda 6? Come on now. (uhm)

You found a good performance tire you are happy with. That may very well be the best performance tire you can get for your Mazda. Now don't make blanket statements about the rest of the brands including non-performance tires. Based on your post, people should only use Yokohamas for every single need. That's just bad advice. Recommend the model you like because you've had a good experience with them. Don't make blanket statements rooted in conjecture. A quick google search does not support your blanket assertion. And once again you have provided no actual data.

It's like me stating that my Michelins beat the crap out of the stock Geolandars I had (and hated), therefore they must be tuned to my Mazda. Yeah....sure.

Last edited:
Wait...so you tried 2 different tires and that was enough to make a complete blanket statement about entire tire brands?.

This is not enough information to determine which tire is best, but is certainly is enough information (through personal testing, trial/error) to note which tire is best suited to the particular vehicle in question. I got better traction, steering precision and grip in the rain with a Yokohama tire that was identical in performance to the Michelins. These Michelins feel far better on my friends Acura then they did on the Mazda, even though performance between the two is the same. Yokohamas are better in the rain. (Honda tunes their cars with Michelin tires)

Seriously, until you try one of their good tires, as a spirited driver you will be nothing short of dissapointed when you realize on what sort of grip and steering precision youve been missing out on.

This is not enough information to determine which tire is best, but is certainly is enough information (through personal testing, trial/error) to note which tire is best suited to the particular vehicle in question. I got better traction, steering precision and grip in the rain with a Yokohama tire that was identical in performance to the Michelin’s. These Michelin’s feel far better on my friends Acura then they did on the Mazda, even though performance between the two is the same. Yokohama’s are better in the rain. (Honda tunes their cars with Michelin tires)

Seriously, until you try one of their good tires, as a spirited driver you will be nothing short of dissapointed when you realize on what sort of grip and steering precision you’ve been missing out on.

So again, seems to be based on one Yokohama tire model in one usage scenario.

Hardly enough to make the blanket statement you continue to make.

Back