Trunk mounted bike rack?

billyphatu

:
2015 CX-5 GS AWD Grey
Has anyone used a trunk-mounted bike rack on their CX-5? I understand there to be some concern with the straps applying pressure to the spoiler and can see why. Is there a way round this, or do we know if there're any racks out there that are proven to work well on the CX-5?

I've been looking at used racks but they all tend to be the cheap ones you get from Canadian Tire/Home Depot. For new, right now I am looking at the Saris Bones line of racks. https://www.etrailer.com/Trunk-Bike-Racks/Mazda/CX-5/2015/SA801BL.html?vehicleid=20151610904 - Thinking if you position it high enough the pressure would be less?

Load will vary from one to three bikes, range will be mostly short trips to the park with a few long road trips. Interior cargo space is not an option due to child seat. Budget is low, otherwise I would just go for hitch and hitch-mount rack. Roof rack is just a pain.

Any advice or tips appreciated.

I do not think there is any other way to avoid putting the weight of the rack and bikes on the spoiler, as this style rack is designed this way.

You would be much better off with a tow hitch and a tow hitch rack. It is way more stable and secure. In my mind, well worth the money.

The trunk rack you linked is $175USD new

The curt hitch is about $121USD
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C13127.html

Then you can find a used or new hitch mounted bike rack ranging from $100-$200.

So $121 + $100 = $221, which is only about $50 more than your original budget, but a much better solution.

20140626_170207_zpsc41a8c4a.jpg

20140626_170154_zps9ceed004.jpg

Last edited:
you wouldn't be able to mount the saris bones higher as the lower legs are supposed to sit on the bumper to support the bikes. I have a 2 bike Saris but I haven't tried it on my CX-5 yet. I'll try to set it up this weekend and see how it fits.

according the Saris website, the lower legs go in the license plate area for the CX-5, despite instructions saying otherwise. Here's a pic from Saris
IMG_3705_Pop.JPG

according the Saris website, the lower legs go in the license plate area for the CX-5, despite instructions saying otherwise. Here's a pic from Saris
IMG_3705_Pop.JPG

mingm, did you ever use this with actual bikes? I'm looking to get a trunk rack as well and this is one of the few that seems to be compatible with a CX5's rear spoiler.

You are going to be MUCH happier if you install a hitch and use a rack that mounts to it, no question. Spend the extra dough and go with a hitch from etrailer.

You are going to be MUCH happier if you install a hitch and use a rack that mounts to it, no question. Spend the extra dough and go with a hitch from etrailer.

Did you look at the bottom of his picture? First thing that hit me was "Why would anyone use one of those tailgate contraptions when he already had a receiver installed on the car?

Did you look at the bottom of his picture? First thing that hit me was "Why would anyone use one of those tailgate contraptions when he already had a receiver installed on the car?

Didn't notice that. You're right but the pic is from the rack manufacturer.

Thanks for the reply, but why? I'm trying to understand why the trunk mount isn't good? As far as the "extra dough" my twins' mom receives that and much more, so it's really not an option right now.

Trunk mount is much more trouble to attach to the car. It's much more likely to damage the paint on your hatch. It makes it much harder to get into the hatch.
Hitch mount requires a hitch, so if you don't have one it's a lot more expensive.

Thanks for the reply, but why? I'm trying to understand why the trunk mount isn't good? As far as the "extra dough" my twins' mom receives that and much more, so it's really not an option right now.

'your twins' mom' gets your extra dough? Well of course she does, it's for the twins isn't it? That's your responsibility as their father, right?

The design looks bad. No one can know for sure without evaluating in person, but:

1. Straps are down and around the spoiler. Weight of bikes will put pressure on the outer edge of spoiler.
2. Weight is pressing in around license plate
3. The only thing i see to prevent weight from pulling down and pushing in, is what looks like small legs on bumper cover. If they are transferring weight to the bumper cover, plan on marks there
4. Does the wiper clear the rack?
5. Forget opening the back with bikes on the back.
6. Cost of damage will likely be greater then the $130 for a receiver hitch.
7. likely the manufacturer is not responsible for any damage

I will never, ever ever ever use any bicycle rack that touches a car's paint. Ever. A hitch rack is the only viable option, and preferably a rack that doesn't touch the bike frames, either. The types that secure both tires are best for both car and bike.

Back