2017 test drive CX-5 vs CR-V

Nevermind...118 took a full minute to get there but i must say she pulled pretty strongly up to about 110 when the 4-5 shift happened:) Ill stick to youtube if i want to see the cx5s limiter thx
What was the revs?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nevermind...118 took a full minute to get there but i must say she pulled pretty strongly up to about 110 when the 4-5 shift happened:) Ill stick to youtube if i want to see the cx5s limiter thx

It WILL cruise at 120. It's no autobahn stormer, but it will buzz along.

I have never felt any lack of power with the 175ps diesel, but it could easily use a higher extra gear.

I have noticed that the 2.5L appears to need high revs to gain max torque and power, a 2L petrol turbo would easily out perform it IMO.

I just had the opportunity this morning at a Mazda test drive event at a local airport to test drive a CX-5 and a CRV.

The test drive was only a minute long for each one and due to torrential downpour, I really didn't get a chance to explore each vehicle. But we were instructed to try a skid pad, full throttle acceleration followed by hard braking and then a short slalom.

My impression compared to my 2013. Way more power, way quieter and a much better refined interior. I wasn't enamoured by the centre console. But it definitely feels more polished than the 2013.

The CRV is equivalent in fit and finish (both were 2017) and I'd say about the same noise wise. The CRV seemed like it had more elbow room but I wouldn't classify it as being more comfortable than the CX-5. Both are nice cars. I'd guess that the cargo room is slightly bigger in the CRV but couldn't look due to time constraints.

Driving wise, the CX5 wins hands down. It's a true drivers car. I had no hesitation putting into the hard corners and it had responsive and quick acceleration. The CRV felt like it was floating and it fishtailed in the skid pad and I could feel the front end sliding into the slalom. The suspension was definitely softer and set up for comfort more than performance. The Mazda didn't slip once and even body lean was noticeably less. Now I didn't get to see what kinds of tires were on either vehicle, but the Mazda with the new vectoring technology didn't slip or feel out of control once, the CRV didn't inspire as much confidence and I definitely drove it slower through the slalom portion.

I'd say with 2017 Mazda definitely achieved its motto of zoom zoom. I just wish I could convince my wife to upgrade as acceleration and interior noise are my two biggest pet peeves with my 2013. Mazda has definitely addressed those concerns.

Next step, visit a dealer to get a closer look!

I also got to do three laps with the MX-5 manual, soft-top. Impressive but I need a four seater at this point in my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at the same event, and really found the 2017 CX-5 to be a bigger upgrade than I expected. (I drive a 2014.5 GT w/ Tech).

The GS 2017 handled the skid pad really well, and had great control through the speed bumps and potholes. The CRV was pretty brutal through all of that, but mostly fine in the slalom. I was pretty surprised by how the 2016 GT did on the same course. It wasn't as bad as the CRV, but I definitely noticed the refinement with the 2017.

The quieter ride cabin was noticeable, as was the design, fit and finish inside. I spent some time in the 2017 GT later, and it really felt like a step up from my 2014.

The two laps in the Miata were also a blast. I wouldn't call myself a car enthusiast, but this event was lots of fun, and enlightening.

I have never felt any lack of power with the 175ps diesel, but it could easily use a higher extra gear.

I have noticed that the 2.5L appears to need high revs to gain max torque and power, a 2L petrol turbo would easily out perform it IMO.

Because peak torque is 4000rpm and max revs is reached at 6000rpm.

Does anyone remember the difference in braking feel between the CRV & CX-5 for those have test driven the 2017 models? My test drive on the CRV was back in February and I don't recall the same impression on the brakes as I did with the CX-5 last week. With the CX-5 I felt like I had to press down on the brake pedal further than I felt was reasonable. Granted this could just be how non-hybrid sports car brakes function and my perception is just warped. But I don't remember the pedal distance being so far on the CRV. Anyhow, the CRV was an adequate soulless appliance that underwhelmed me and the $516/mo lease quote on a top of the line Touring was an F No in my book. I felt more at home in the CX-5 (which has a tangible soul to it) and I loved the HUD on the GT trim. Driving the CX-5 was no where near as distracting as the CRV and it didn't have the annoying throttle delay that the CRV had. The CX-5 was quieter than my Infiniti. Other than the braking, the only other things I noted on the CX-5 that I was bummed about was the lack of a quick toggle to disable the infotainment screen for night driving and that you couldn't twist the commander knob to zoom in and out of the navigation map. I really appreciate being able to disable the infotainment screens in my Infiniti by holding down the home button for a few seconds and then the screens turn off. Being able to use the knob to move about the navigation map and zoom is also more functionally intuitive in my opinion. For comparison, my local Mazda dealer quoted me $369/mo for a loaded 2017 CX-5 GT and they told me that will get better by the time I want to switch vehicles come June/July. Hopefully by the CX-5's mid-cycle refresh in say 2020, Mazda will add the features it needs to truly breaking into the premium/luxury car market. For the money I want to spend on my next car, the CX-5 is the only option in my book. Nothing else really comes close.

Hopefully by the CX-5's mid-cycle refresh in say 2020, Mazda will add the features it needs to truly breaking into the premium/luxury car market

Respectfully, I can’t imagine how much more Mazda could add to be truly considered premium and still remain at this price point, but admittedly I never owned what is considered a “premium” vehicle so I guess I know not of what I speak. I arrived at the CX-5 after an exhaustive amount of research to identify an AWD CUV type vehicle that was as engaging to drive as the first car I bought all on my own...a 1989 Volkswagen Jetta GL (and only 105HP). As I type this, I can honestly say of the nearly dozen and a half or so cars that I have owned or leased since then...none was a much fun for me. I’ve been leasing for the last few years, and quite honestly I’m sick of it. I don’t feel any pride of ownership in a leased car, and I don’t like being told I HAVE to keep a car for three years, nor do I like having to give up a car I may want to keep in three years. I realize my feelings here are subjective...but I really just don’t like leasing and when you factor in all the fees...its just not for me. Every car I’ve ever purchased I have intended to keep in excess of 10 years. The only one I came close with was that 1989 Jetta. I still consider myself a VW fan. IMHO there are few vehicles that can match their road feel.....”fahrvergnugen” was the slogan they used to describe it back in the day! I would have liked to buy a VW, but honestly VW’s lines don’t grab me these days, and their below average reliability and high maintenance/repair costs have made me afraid to own one AFTER the warranty expires. That’s how I ended up with a Mazda...”Japanese Fahrvergnugen”! Thus far I’m not disappointed (though its early) but based on my extensive reading I don’t expect to be.

Brakes..that's where the crv really has it all over the cx5..they're possibly a bit hyperactive but they really bite harder..i do recall being impressed by that aspect of the vehicle..mazda could do better here.

Ive been reading this thread with great interest. At the risk of getting flamed....Im pretty happy with the 2.5 L engine and the throttle response. ...

185? At the risk of foolios trying to say I have buyers's remorse or whatnot, our 155hp FWD 2.0 powered auto CX-5 is down there on the totem pole of CX-5 0-60 times. We're going to enjoy driving this thing until gen3's come out!!

I don't always do 0-60 runs in under 5 seconds....and when I don't I prefer to drive Mazdas. Enjoy the drive my friends.

Torque of 2.5L is 251NM (185ft/lb) vs 2.2L which is 420NM (309ft/lb). Hence pulling harder for much longer in the diesel.

Also the 2.5L before this engine revision actually has 22HP more than the diesel. From 2017 onwards, it's now 24HP more.

There are two 2.2L diesels, one that makes 420NM and 173HP and another that makes 380NM and 148HP. I assumed the CX-5 in the videos had the more powerful of the two.

In the 34 years I have been driving....I don't think Ive ever gone 100MPH...thats not a valid concern where I live...and drive... and for what its worth...the CX-5 engine is in line with nearly all other vehicles in its class....so I don't really get what its detractors are comparing it to...

There are other competing vehicles with higher output turbo engine options: Ford Escape (245hp), Kia Sportage (237hp), Subaru Forester (250hp). And the Jeep Cherokee can be had with a 3.2L V6 (271hp).

I kind of agree with Kaps. The 2.5 is good in the 3 and 6, but when you factor in AWD, the higher wind resistance of a CUV, and the extra 350-550 lbs. of weight, I would like a stronger engine in the CX-5. I can see myself loading up my family of four for a weekend ski trip with the cargo area maxed out and a ski box on the roof, going up long highway grades and lamenting the lack of passing power. I feel the same about the CR-V and RAV4.

I can see myself loading up my family of four for a weekend ski trip with the cargo area maxed out and a ski box on the roof, going up long highway grades and lamenting the lack of passing power. I feel the same about the CR-V and RAV4.

I see your point about that. My kids are grown and now I'm single...so I will very rarely if ever be driving this car "maxed out". When I had young children I always opted for a larger vehicle than the CX-5.

I see your point about that. My kids are grown and now I'm single...so I will very rarely if ever be driving this car "maxed out". When I had young children I always opted for a larger vehicle than the CX-5.

My wife just bought a Chrysler Pacifica minivan which will be the main family hauler, but we want our second vehicle to be capable of carrying the four of us as a backup, and we want an AWD vehicle with a little more ground clearance for driving in the snow. If it were just me, I would buy the Mazda3 hatchback.

There are two 2.2L diesels, one that makes 420NM and 173HP and another that makes 380NM and 148HP. I assumed the CX-5 in the videos had the more powerful of the two.

I am guessing you are correct.

There are other competing vehicles with higher output turbo engine options: Ford Escape (245hp), Kia Sportage (237hp), Subaru Forester (250hp). And the Jeep Cherokee can be had with a 3.2L V6 (271hp).

I kind of agree with Kaps. The 2.5 is good in the 3 and 6, but when you factor in AWD, the higher wind resistance of a CUV, and the extra 350-550 lbs. of weight, I would like a stronger engine in the CX-5. I can see myself loading up my family of four for a weekend ski trip with the cargo area maxed out and a ski box on the roof, going up long highway grades and lamenting the lack of passing power. I feel the same about the CR-V and RAV4.

We all would like more kw & nm. The diesel should alleviate part of that issue but not really for those who would only use it for city driving. If I am not mistaken, this type of driving would affect DPF.

Looked like ~4750

That's about all it would probably do.

Brakes..that's where the crv really has it all over the cx5..they're possibly a bit hyperactive but they really bite harder..i do recall being impressed by that aspect of the vehicle..mazda could do better here.

Has Honda stopped cheaping out on undersized rotors then?

Other than the braking, the only other things I noted on the CX-5 that I was bummed about was the lack of a quick toggle to disable the infotainment screen for night driving and that you couldn't twist the commander knob to zoom in and out of the navigation map. I really appreciate being able to disable the infotainment screens in my Infiniti by holding down the home button for a few seconds and then the screens turn off. Being able to use the knob to move about the navigation map and zoom is also more functionally intuitive in my opinion.

Are you positive you can't use the commander knob to move around the map with the new model, as the 2016.5 allows this? The only thing I can think of, is that you maybe didn't hide the menu along the bottom? Once that menu is hidden, you can rotate the dial to zoom in, or tilt it to move around the map.

Are you positive you can't use the commander knob to move around the map with the new model, as the 2016.5 allows this? The only thing I can think of, is that you maybe didn't hide the menu along the bottom? Once that menu is hidden, you can rotate the dial to zoom in, or tilt it to move around the map.

AFAIK nothing has changed on MZD be it navigation or menus from previous model to this model.

Reason why you can't zoom in and out of the nav view is due to your settings...go into your nav settings and change it from automatic zoom to manual then you can use the commander knob to zoom in and out!

Reason why you can't zoom in and out of the nav view is due to your settings...go into your nav settings and change it from automatic zoom to manual then you can use the commander knob to zoom in and out!

Even with zoom set to automatic you can still zoom with commander knob. You need to hide the icons at the bottom first, as previously stated.

Back