2017 test drive CX-5 vs CR-V

I just had the opportunity this morning at a Mazda test drive event at a local airport to test drive a CX-5 and a CRV.

The test drive was only a minute long for each one and due to torrential downpour, I really didn't get a chance to explore each vehicle. But we were instructed to try a skid pad, full throttle acceleration followed by hard braking and then a short slalom.

My impression compared to my 2013. Way more power, way quieter and a much better refined interior. I wasn't enamoured by the centre console. But it definitely feels more polished than the 2013.

The CRV is equivalent in fit and finish (both were 2017) and I'd say about the same noise wise. The CRV seemed like it had more elbow room but I wouldn't classify it as being more comfortable than the CX-5. Both are nice cars. I'd guess that the cargo room is slightly bigger in the CRV but couldn't look due to time constraints.

Driving wise, the CX5 wins hands down. It's a true drivers car. I had no hesitation putting into the hard corners and it had responsive and quick acceleration. The CRV felt like it was floating and it fishtailed in the skid pad and I could feel the front end sliding into the slalom. The suspension was definitely softer and set up for comfort more than performance. The Mazda didn't slip once and even body lean was noticeably less. Now I didn't get to see what kinds of tires were on either vehicle, but the Mazda with the new vectoring technology didn't slip or feel out of control once, the CRV didn't inspire as much confidence and I definitely drove it slower through the slalom portion.

I'd say with 2017 Mazda definitely achieved its motto of zoom zoom. I just wish I could convince my wife to upgrade as acceleration and interior noise are my two biggest pet peeves with my 2013. Mazda has definitely addressed those concerns.

Next step, visit a dealer to get a closer look!

I also got to do three laps with the MX-5 manual, soft-top. Impressive but I need a four seater at this point in my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think g vector control will let Mazda soften the suspension somewhat, while retaining similar or better cornering ability than before. Should help in the 'refinement' area and avoid complaints of harshness by non-enthusiasts.

A few acceleration and top speed videos for comparison:

2.5L gas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM93UqGHpKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z0BYiMYU6c&vl=en-GB

2.2L diesel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwNUAu6kUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVDEGDEAHhw

In the videos of the 2.5L, acceleration seems to drop off when shifting into 3rd, judging by the rate of the speedo needle, and tapers off more towards the top of 3rd. The top speed hits 121-122 mph according to the speedo. The 2.2 diesel seems to continue pulling strong until midway through 4th. The diesel with auto trans tops out at 210kmh/130mph according to the speedo, while the one with the manual trans hits 215 and seems to accelerate a little harder in all gears. I'm not surprised the diesel accelerates better due to the wider torque curve, but I'm surprised with the higher top speed given the 2.5 supposedly has a 10 HP advantage. It looks to me like the 2.5L could benefit from more gears.

Torque of 2.5L is 251NM (185ft/lb) vs 2.2L which is 420NM (309ft/lb). Hence pulling harder for much longer in the diesel.

Also the 2.5L before this engine revision actually has 22HP more than the diesel. From 2017 onwards, it's now 24HP more.

Orange Virus Tuning has graphs displaying stock skyactiv ecu's programmed with dead spots so the power delivery is not linear.

This graph as example reference: http://renkucorp.com/cars/135i/thottle_map.JPG

Blue bar = Stock. Notice deadspots. The CX-5's was more pronounced than this if I recall.
Red = Theoretical Linear.
Green = Pretty aggressive.

A Pedal Commander type of product (there's another legit manufacturer too) provides many adjustments as to offset the CX-5's deadspots. A mild to moderate adjustment would help get us closer to the linear.....not to mention closer to old school manual throttle cables. These products do not add HP but merely allow us to tap them more linearly and without dead spots.

So with all the changes Mazda has made with the 2017 model, is it supposed to fix some of the issues with regards to performance and response?

Ive been reading this thread with great interest. At the risk of getting flamed....Im pretty happy with the 2.5 L engine and the throttle response. Im coming off of a 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo which makes 290 HP, though its a much heavier car. There is no doubt the SF is quicker (7.1 sec 0-60 vs 7.8 seconds for the CX-5 on paper), but I find the 2017 CX-5, as a total package, to be light years beyond the SF. The CX-5 drives and handles much better...and in my opinion...does not seem like it has 100 fewer ponies than the SF. I personally prefer the more linear response of a naturally aspirated engine and my (totally subjective) opinion is that the 2.5 L will give longer service than the 2.0 turbo, which is personally important to me since I bought the CX-5...the SF was a lease. Maybe Im just getting old...but I find the 2.5 L perfectly adequate to the task...providing that the task is not breaking the land speed record...

Thanks for the feedback PVQ. Good to hear 2017's performance doesn't seem to be affected by extra kgs/lbs.

At the risk of getting flamed....I’m pretty happy with the 2.5 L engine and the throttle response.

I've had two turbo AWD cars. One had substantial mods, and could spin all 4 tires all the way thru 1st gear.

I think the CX-5 has a great engine, and more than enough power for any non-mountain real-world driving.

It's sad that the world has devolved to a biggest-number-is-best point.

I've had two turbo AWD cars. One had substantial mods, and could spin all 4 tires all the way thru 1st gear.

I think the CX-5 has a great engine, and more than enough power for any non-mountain real-world driving.

It's sad that the world has devolved to a biggest-number-is-best point.

Indeed a great engine. If it wasn't, wouldn't be used in their 3 or 6!

Remind me not to buy the one you beat the s**** out of on your test drive!

Ive been reading this thread with great interest. At the risk of getting flamed....I’m pretty happy with the 2.5 L engine and the throttle response. I’m coming off of a 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo which makes 290 HP, though its a much heavier car. There is no doubt the SF is quicker (7.1 sec 0-60 vs 7.8 seconds for the CX-5 on paper), but I find the 2017 CX-5, as a total package, to be light years beyond the SF. The CX-5 drives and handles much better...and in my opinion...does not seem like it has 100 fewer ponies than the SF. I personally prefer the more linear response of a naturally aspirated engine and my (totally subjective) opinion is that the 2.5 L will give longer service than the 2.0 turbo, which is personally important to me since I bought the CX-5...the SF was a lease. Maybe I’m just getting old...but I find the 2.5 L perfectly adequate to the task...providing that the task is not breaking the land speed record...

Not to discredit your findings which I generally agree with but 264 was the rating on your SF sport turbo with that being said I'm skeptical of Hyundai/Kia numbers and BMWs but in the opposite direction...The CX5 and its existing 2.5l na gas engine and transmission are both adequate and impressive if not so much on paper but in real world applications. Flooring it at 80.. well it sure ain't gonna pin you back in the seat that's what my underrated 240hp rwd x1 is for;)

Not to discredit your findings which I generally agree with but 264 was the rating on your SF sport turbo with that being said I'm skeptical of Hyundai/Kia numbers and BMWs but in the opposite direction...The CX5 and its existing 2.5l na gas engine and transmission are both adequate and impressive if not so much on paper but in real world applications. Flooring it at 80.. well it ain't gonna pin you back in the seat that's what my underrated 240hp x1 is for;)
You wouldn't expect it to pin you back. That's what foreced induction or six/eight cylinders are for [emoji3]

So long as it goes, that's all that matters

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Ive been reading this thread with great interest. At the risk of getting flamed....Im pretty happy with the 2.5 L engine and the throttle response. Im coming off of a 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo which makes 290 HP, though its a much heavier car. There is no doubt the SF is quicker (7.1 sec 0-60 vs 7.8 seconds for the CX-5 on paper), but I find the 2017 CX-5, as a total package, to be light years beyond the SF. The CX-5 drives and handles much better...and in my opinion...does not seem like it has 100 fewer ponies than the SF. I personally prefer the more linear response of a naturally aspirated engine and my (totally subjective) opinion is that the 2.5 L will give longer service than the 2.0 turbo, which is personally important to me since I bought the CX-5...the SF was a lease. Maybe Im just getting old...but I find the 2.5 L perfectly adequate to the task...providing that the task is not breaking the land speed record...

You will adjust your opinion - as you have more experience with it.
As for the land speed record, keep that aside. Reaching 100 mph (US) will be hard if some of the combination of factors come in play.

1. High winds
2. Alternator on load - AC/Lights/Music etc.
3. More than one 175 lb adult in car + gear
4. Slight uphill.

The 2.5L is perfect fit for 6 / 6 Wagon. But with CX-5 being so tall and having to push so much air out of the way. No land speed record - I think some of the other CUVs will beat it in top speed.

Yes they would but since the speed limit is much lower, doesn't really matter

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaching 100 mph (US) will be hard if some of the combination of factors come in play.

In the 34 years I have been driving....I don't think Ive ever gone 100MPH...thats not a valid concern where I live...and drive... and for what its worth...the CX-5 engine is in line with nearly all other vehicles in its class....so I don't really get what its detractors are comparing it to...

You're correct...apologies for the mistake. None the less we agree on the CX-5. I'm very happy with her....

No need to apologize, i still love mine as a dd after 3.5 yrs and 67k. Does it satisfy my occasional need for speed-not really but so long as we don't have 80 or 85mph posted limits around here in ny it does the job i need it to and more with zero fuss or pretense. If I traveled on roads i could do 85 or 90 on I'd want something lower and or more substantial with more power though I must admit. I generally don't break 75 in the mazdarati.

If it has some get up and go when overtaking plus can move from a stand still reasonably well and can also do both of these with 2-3 people on board (when this happens) then that is enough for me

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

In the 34 years I have been driving....I don't think Ive ever gone 100MPH...thats not a valid concern where I live...and drive... and for what its worth...the CX-5 engine is in line with nearly all other vehicles in its class....so I don't really get what its detractors are comparing it to...

You really should try it sometime, it's a blast. I've taken my car right up to the limiter, it's some of the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel. Obviously be safe about it, the margin for error is extremely slim at high speeds.

Where is the limiter on these things? I love the mazda and going fast but its not something id feel comfortable breaking 100 in and i have but not in a 68in tall pretty light and short cuv with brakes that are well they're ok but..100+ in the cx5 let's just say that's outside my comfort zone.

I think it's the gearing plus trying to push all that mass and wind resistance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nevermind...118 took a full minute to get there but i must say she pulled pretty strongly up to about 110 when the 4-5 shift happened:) Ill stick to youtube if i want to see the cx5s limiter thx

Back