2017 test drive CX-5 vs CR-V

:
2013 CX5-GS, AWD
I just had the opportunity this morning at a Mazda test drive event at a local airport to test drive a CX-5 and a CRV.

The test drive was only a minute long for each one and due to torrential downpour, I really didn't get a chance to explore each vehicle. But we were instructed to try a skid pad, full throttle acceleration followed by hard braking and then a short slalom.

My impression compared to my 2013. Way more power, way quieter and a much better refined interior. I wasn't enamoured by the centre console. But it definitely feels more polished than the 2013.

The CRV is equivalent in fit and finish (both were 2017) and I'd say about the same noise wise. The CRV seemed like it had more elbow room but I wouldn't classify it as being more comfortable than the CX-5. Both are nice cars. I'd guess that the cargo room is slightly bigger in the CRV but couldn't look due to time constraints.

Driving wise, the CX5 wins hands down. It's a true drivers car. I had no hesitation putting into the hard corners and it had responsive and quick acceleration. The CRV felt like it was floating and it fishtailed in the skid pad and I could feel the front end sliding into the slalom. The suspension was definitely softer and set up for comfort more than performance. The Mazda didn't slip once and even body lean was noticeably less. Now I didn't get to see what kinds of tires were on either vehicle, but the Mazda with the new vectoring technology didn't slip or feel out of control once, the CRV didn't inspire as much confidence and I definitely drove it slower through the slalom portion.

I'd say with 2017 Mazda definitely achieved its motto of zoom zoom. I just wish I could convince my wife to upgrade as acceleration and interior noise are my two biggest pet peeves with my 2013. Mazda has definitely addressed those concerns.

Next step, visit a dealer to get a closer look!

I also got to do three laps with the MX-5 manual, soft-top. Impressive but I need a four seater at this point in my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had the opportunity this morning at a Mazda test drive event at a local airport to test drive a CX-5 and a CRV....

Driving wise, the CX5 wins hands down. It's a true drivers car. I had no hesitation putting into the hard corners and it had responsive and quick acceleration. ...

Thanks for the feedback re responsiveness and quick acceleration :)

More power ay?

Hope your 2013 is a 2.0...

For 2.5L, extra 3hp for new 2017 model (187 vs 184) and new model has been tweaked for more instant throttle response.

More power ay?

Hope your 2013 is a 2.0...

Pretty certain 2013 must be the 2.0 (not 100% bc he's north of the border)...which I drove and quickly passed on due to lack of power.
+3hp is more than canceled out by weight gain..not that it felt notably slower but i certainly didn't think quicker.

Last edited:
Pretty certain 2013 must be the 2.0 (not 100% bc he's north of the border)...which I drove and quickly passed on due to lack of power.

Early 2012/2013 models here had 2.0L. They then released 2.5L after people complained about lack of power.

So maybe they are referring to 2.0L

Since we are talking about power this happened yesterday.

Was on TX 121 doing 80, a gap opened up and I floored it - the needle wouldnt budge one bit, slowly crept to 85, meanwhile a Lexus 300h overtook me easily.

Was me wife and a toddler, AC minimum, relatively flat road. This is a big pet peeve of mine - this car is just doesnt really have any juice above 75.. It really didnt need 8.5 clearance - mostly a city CUV about 8 was really sufficient. Dont know how Rav4, Forester et all behave. I guess the problem will be similar. This is Texas, its windy and aero dynamics play a big role and if you ever are in a single lane hwvy with 75 mph as speed limit (low traffic highway) and a small window to overtake someone, cant chance it with 16.5. Yesterday, it felt the CX-5 was just begging me to move over to slower lane.

Hopefully 17 has ironed this out. With the engine changes and shorter profile.

Since we are talking about power this happened yesterday.

Was on TX 121 doing 80, a gap opened up and I floored it - the needle wouldnt budge one bit, slowly crept to 85, meanwhile a Lexus 300h overtook me easily.

Was me wife and a toddler, AC minimum, relatively flat road. This is a big pet peeve of mine - this car is just doesnt really have any juice above 75.. It really didnt need 8.5 clearance - mostly a city CUV about 8 was really sufficient. Dont know how Rav4, Forester et all behave. I guess the problem will be similar. This is Texas, its windy and aero dynamics play a big role and if you ever are in a single lane hwvy with 75 mph as speed limit (low traffic highway) and a small window to overtake someone, cant chance it with 16.5. Yesterday, it felt the CX-5 was just begging me to move over to slower lane.

Hopefully 17 has ironed this out. With the engine changes and shorter profile.

Something wrong with that. Should have down shifted a couple of gears. Is yours 2.0 or 2.5L?

From what I have seen on youtube, in gear acceleration for 2017 model with 2.5L is good (its already in its peak revs)

Something wrong with that. Should have down shifted a couple of gears. Is yours 2.0 or 2.5L?

From what I have seen on youtube, in gear acceleration for 2017 model with 2.5L is good (its already in its peak revs)

He is talking 80mph (130km/hr) i dont think flooring it at that speed is likely to drop a couple of gears?

Still, 130kph is not that fast, a 2.5 should still have some get up and go at that speed.

Not that we would EVER do such speeds here in Aus, where max highway speed limits are 110km/hr....... with fixed and mobile speed cameras everywhere just waiting to take your photo and send you a big fine in the mail.

He is talking 80mph (130km/hr) i dont think flooring it at that speed is likely to drop a couple of gears?

Still, 130kph is not that fast, a 2.5 should still have some get up and go at that speed.

Not that we would EVER do such speeds here in Aus, where max highway speed limits are 110km/hr....... with fixed and mobile speed cameras everywhere just waiting to take your photo and send you a big fine in the mail.

My bad, I read it wrong. If at 130kmh, would have atleast dropped into 5th simply by the extra immediate pressure on the accelerator.

Agreed that 2.5L should have a bit more oomph. There's also the sport mode which keeps revs in the right band for longer.

I currently drive a 2010 CRV, and during past 4 days, I test drove the 2017CX5 twice, and 2017CRV once, I ended up buying one of them today.

1. during first CX5 drive, the sales person throw me the key, didn't even take my driver's license, and let me drive myself, and as expected, i was driving harsh (while being safe to other cars), sport mode, floored the gas pedal as much as possible, hard breaking, fast cornering. between the harsh driving and new car smell that made me dizzy, i was disappointed after test drive.

2. I went to test drive a 2017 CRV, man, is that thing big now from outside, comparing to my 2010CRV, it doesn't even feel like they are in the same category. The salesman was with me this time, so I was well behaved.
The car felt more smooth, familiar driving, with more power, i like the leather seat material a lot more, it's glossy gray color, it doesn't feel lack of power anymore, once you get going that is.
From stop and go, in sport mode, there's lag (turbo?)!!! 1 freaking second lag (didn't measure), that's one primary reason I want to replace my current CRV, that 1 freaking second could have had me killed in emergency maneuver; I don't care if it's CVT/6 speed, and don't mind the sound of engine, but that 1 freaking second I would not tolerate.
The new CRV also felt bigger inside, maybe it's a matter of getting used to, but I felt that the car was less maneuverable due to increased size.

so after test driving CRV, I went back to do more research on CRV, trying to convince myself to like it more. I looked at reviews, youtube videos, the more I look at, the more I dislike the look of it. It's still UGLY, maybe a little bit better than previous version, but it's still UGLY, I don't mind my 2010 CRV style much, but the new one is distractingly UGLY to me. And the more I look at CX 5 videos/pix, the more I like it, I guess you can say that CX5 design won my heart.

3. I lost half night of sleep last night, so today I brought my wife and my 5 year old for a CX5 test drive. I don't drive to work, so my wife is the primary driver during weekdays, got to get her approval.
The salesman gave us the key, and said 'take your time', so there we went.
Wife drove it for first 15 minutes, smooth, predictable, didn't find anything she didn't like, except for the new car smell. I drove it for 15 minutes, smooth, quick, quiet. My son in the back center enjoyed the rear AC, the only complaint was his usual car seat wasn't there (we used an inflatable booster).
Went back to dealer, red being my son's favorite color this month, would take at least 6 weeks for us to get, so we ended up with white, 2-3 weeks wait, still on the ship.

anyways, more impressions:
I like CX5 steering wheel a lot more, at low speed, very light, higher speed, heavier; it makes parking lot, and slow traffic one hand turning a lot easier, while feeling more stable on the highway. Didn't test drive enough to tell if it was more precise.

CRV sales guy kept telling there's live traffic, and map data are auto updated, all without connected to phone, I don't know how that's possible. With CX5, someone mentioned in another thread no live traffic, 3 year map update. I guess I'll continue to use my always up to date, always reliable, true voice activated Google Navigation. From what I've seen, android auto locks out your phone to do anything else except those few apps, sorry, I won't give up my phone for AA, yet.

CRV infotainment user interface is awful, I barely touched it, but it's distractingly unpleasant to look at (all over blue theme and rectangular buttons). I got to use the CX5 center console controls today, loved it, simple, intuitive, and affirmative. User interface style aside, using the knobs and touch screen is like using a computer keyboard v.s. using a mouse; when you use mouse, you got to find your mouse, find your pointer on screen, move pointer, and carefully clicking the button while hold your hand still; with keyboard, you press a key, guaranteed to execute. apple to orange comparison, but that's how I felt.

CX5 Highway Wind Noise is definitely not a problem, I was at ~80mph, not a single hiss of wind noise, road noise was on par with CRV, if not worse. I didn't drive CRV at 80, I didn't hear wind noise, but I could feel wind noise coming.

Arm rest, got to say, CRV's got it right, I have only right hand on wheel 90% of the time, and with right hand on the wheel, I like my right arm rested on the armrest. not gonna happen in CX5, too far. CRV has armrest sliding out providing support. love it. hopefully I'll get used to it.

CX5 interior is more padded, more soft areas, feels more premium. CRV has that wood trim I could not tolerate, even if I bought the car, I would find someone to cover it. I thought mostly people 50+ prefer having that style of wood trims, hard to believe they put that in all CRV trims. CX5 has wood trims too, but it's much modern looking, don't like it, don't dislike it either.

The HUD! if you haven't seen it, you need to see it in person. It's projected on the windshield, but it looks like a hologram floating in the air in front of your car. Love it, got to have it.

The rims, if you think CX5 GT rims are ugly (looks a bit better in person), the CRV rims are even worse, and interestingly, CRV has a rims upgrade option that looks a bit like CX5 GT rims.

CRV homelink garage opener is at the ceiling, CX5 has on on mirror, I like CRV implementation better, mirror might move if I touch it hard.

CRV has more trunk space, I'd rather rent a truck a few times over lifetime of CX5 than sacrificing driving experience over trunk space.

One thing I noticed with CX5 pedal full down from stop/slow to go is also lag, if I press gas pedal 50%, I felt that I got 50% right away. But if I press 100%, I could hear engine responding immediately, but then there's a small lag before car reaches 50%, no where near as bad as CRV. Maybe it's just my expectation, but this part didn't feel 'predictable' to me.

Thanks for the first hand review. Learned a few things :)

The small delay is a by product of electronic throttle control I believe. I have the same issue in my 6, but I am used to it and know how much to pressure the accelerator to minimise it

Last edited:
I just had the opportunity this morning at a Mazda test drive event at a local airport to test drive a CX-5 and a CRV.

The test drive was only a minute long for each one and due to torrential downpour, I really didn't get a chance to explore each vehicle. But we were instructed to try a skid pad, full throttle acceleration followed by hard braking and then a short slalom.

My impression compared to my 2013. Way more power, way quieter and a much better refined interior. I wasn't enamoured by the centre console. But it definitely feels more polished than the 2013.

The CRV is equivalent in fit and finish (both were 2017) and I'd say about the same noise wise. The CRV seemed like it had more elbow room but I wouldn't classify it as being more comfortable than the CX-5. Both are nice cars. I'd guess that the cargo room is slightly bigger in the CRV but couldn't look due to time constraints.

Driving wise, the CX5 wins hands down. It's a true drivers car. I had no hesitation putting into the hard corners and it had responsive and quick acceleration. The CRV felt like it was floating and it fishtailed in the skid pad and I could feel the front end sliding into the slalom. The suspension was definitely softer and set up for comfort more than performance. The Mazda didn't slip once and even body lean was noticeably less. Now I didn't get to see what kinds of tires were on either vehicle, but the Mazda with the new vectoring technology didn't slip or feel out of control once, the CRV didn't inspire as much confidence and I definitely drove it slower through the slalom portion.

I'd say with 2017 Mazda definitely achieved its motto of zoom zoom. I just wish I could convince my wife to upgrade as acceleration and interior noise are my two biggest pet peeves with my 2013. Mazda has definitely addressed those concerns.

Next step, visit a dealer to get a closer look!

I also got to do three laps with the MX-5 manual, soft-top. Impressive but I need a four seater at this point in my life!

Hey
I must have seen you at Pitt Meadows airport today.
Me and my wife were also test driving new Cx5 and Mx5.

We own 2016 cx5 GT in mica blue which we had for 1,5 years and 30k km .

Mazda did really good job on improving what was already good CUV.
Although it's pretty much same engine, yet it felt more lively.
Steering was nice and direct, suspension nice and firm, soundproofing definitely noticeable as soon as you close door.
I can't complain for seat in 16 model, but 17 is even better.
I was impressed by Heads up display, really neat feature.

It's nice update, but not enough to consider trade.
Can't wait to drive Diesel engine once it arrives in Canada in January 2018 (Mazda rep mentioned that there are talks about bringing cx9 engine to cx5 and Mazda 6)

Also after taking 2 laps in mx5 (manual then auto) I'm really impressed with that car.
Throwing it into corners was so much fun.
I was smiling while driving it.
Car is balanced really well, 2,0 engine is amazingly responsive, felt much more powerful.
BFAD6EC8-4E4D-4537-986D-51487E9EC4A2.JPG
Quite few people managed to spin it out on wet surface.192EB115-D8A0-4FCC-8BEA-83D3FC271935.JPG1953DCFE-20A3-4BE2-9418-DB66BB9AFA42.JPGEE474AA3-C79B-45A8-A7D3-007F79DDD6BB.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear from another person about the engine being lively!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the first hand review. Learned a few things :)

The small delay is a by product of electronic throttle control I believe. I have the same issue in my 6, but I am used to it and know how much to pressure the accelerator to minimise it

I've not noted it on my cx5. I did on my 370z though.

Hell, I'm almost to the point I'd like a 2013 2.0. Save more on fuel, and it's not like the 2.5 is fast anyways.
2.5L is better power wise across the board especially when you have a few people on board

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Electronic throttles can be hyper aggressive as well. I had a TSB performed on my G35x in the day as throttle tip in was so severe it was like 10% was almost 40-50% throttle. I'd often put in snow mode to calm it down in traffic. I've never personally had any delay issues. My first car with one was a 2002 Maxima.

Electronic throttles can be hyper aggressive as well. I had a TSB performed on my G35x in the day as throttle tip in was so severe it was like 10% was almost 40-50% throttle. I'd often put in snow mode to calm it down in traffic. I've never personally had any delay issues. My first car with one was a 2002 Maxima.
All depends on how well the manufacturer can calibrate it. Some get it right, others don't. Even within the brand there is a variances. Our Mazda 3 at very low throttle experiences a marked delay. Mazda 6 on the other hand not so much.

Since Mazda are focussing on instant response with this new CX-5, might be much better.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I agree, you should hit the click pedal and go through it and it should drop down and you should hit 100 fast. Somethings not right.

Back