2017 CX-5 Wipers

boandlkramer

US Specs in Europe
:
'17 CX-5 GT AWD; '18 BMW X3
I see many here bemoaning the new wiper system, specifically in reference to mounting the blades.

How hard would it be to just go to the mazdaOEM webpage, order the '16 wiper arms and swap them with the '17 wiper arms? Would that work?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

What's the issue with the new ones that people are talking about? They aren't cleaning property? Seen a few YouTube clips and they seem to do the job.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

the issue appears to be with the mounting device on the wiper arm.
seems to be some new proprietary design so the usual OE replacement wipers won't work.

disclaimer: haven't seen it in person, just going off what I've read here.

the issue appears to be with the mounting device on the wiper arm.
seems to be some new proprietary design so the usual OE replacement wipers won't work.

disclaimer: haven't seen it in person, just going off what I've read here.
So less customisable then?

So this is affecting the wipe function?

Sounds like the issue is compatibility with aftermarket (cheaper or better) wiper blades...at least in the near term.

Sounds like the issue is compatibility with aftermarket (cheaper or better) wiper blades...at least in the near term.

If those wanting to change their wipers wait just a little bit, I am sure the aftermarket companies will come up with new designs :)

If those wanting to change their wipers wait just a little bit, I am sure the aftermarket companies will come up with new designs :)

agree.... eventually things will settle down and more aftermarket wipers with the new connection will appear.... the problem mainly stemmed from new CX-9 owners during their first winter and the expensive OEM were really sub-par in wiping cleanly during the winter, even after paying for new expensive OEM wipers, the performance was still bad but there were no other choices and thats where the problem lies.... eventually it solve it self out and it won;t be an issue in the future... big question is why the need for a new design if the universal J-hooks worked perfectly fine.... unless Mazda wants to force customer to use their wipers only.... same thing for the new 2017 tire pressure monitoring system, now they switched to Mazda OEM sensors on EACH wheel.... again more money to Mazda....

agree.... eventually things will settle down and more aftermarket wipers with the new connection will appear.... the problem mainly stemmed from new CX-9 owners during their first winter and the expensive OEM were really sub-par in wiping cleanly during the winter, even after paying for new expensive OEM wipers, the performance was still bad but there were no other choices and thats where the problem lies.... eventually it solve it self out and it won;t be an issue in the future... big question is why the need for a new design if the universal J-hooks worked perfectly fine.... unless Mazda wants to force customer to use their wipers only.... same thing for the new 2017 tire pressure monitoring system, now they switched to Mazda OEM sensors on EACH wheel.... again more money to Mazda....

Maybe because they are streamlining this and all future Mazda models will be similar?

They have added a de-icer for your model(s). Could be the costs with new design and de-icer is less than old design.

Just had a look at previous model (KE) wiper set up and new model (KF), seems there is more of a gap between between drivers wiper point (left one) and passenger drivers wiper point (right) on the KF. The wiper arm on the passenger is also slightly longer with the KE than it is on the KF. This for Oz by the way.

KE (2016 and earlier):

image.jpg

KF (2017):

image.jpg

Just had a look at previous model (KE) wiper set up and new model (KF), seems there is more of a gap between between drivers wiper point (left one) and passenger drivers wiper point (right) on the KF. The wiper arm on the passenger is also slightly longer with the KE than it is on the KF. This for Oz by the way.

thank you, this is very good info.... so it doesn't look interchangeable, the new CX-5 has a longer run before the wiper mounting bolt ..... no way an old CX-5 wiper can reach that deep and not interfere with the cowl vents ....

this was mentioned as one of the noise reduction improvements, that the wiper sit further down below the hoods to reduce noise.... maybe that's also the reason for the new connector ? seems more aerodynamic than a J-hook and reduce whistling noises ..... hmmmmm

Probably is related to lowering of the arms for noise reduction

You can always just change the wiper blade itself rather than the whole arm, you know. Not as quick to do, of course.

My wipers lasted 3 years before I changed them - and my car is outdoors most of the time. Meh.

You can always just change the wiper blade itself rather than the whole arm, you know. Not as quick to do, of course.

People here recommend Bosch Wiper blades. They also change the arm attached to the blade itself but not the rest of the arm back to the the connection with the motor

GT Premium Package gives you heated wiper/windshield - I suspect the cavity where the wipers are at rest is heated to avoid either getting stuck or to assist with melting some of the ice which accumulates down there. I'm sure the wipers/arms themselves aren't heated.

GT Premium Package gives you heated wiper/windshield - I suspect the cavity where the wipers are at rest is heated to avoid either getting stuck or to assist with melting some of the ice which accumulates down there. I'm sure the wipers/arms themselves aren't heated.

Brochure says windshield de-icer. So yes you are correct, the wipers/arms aren't heated.

People here recommend Bosch Wiper blades. They also change the arm attached to the blade itself but not the rest of the arm back to the the connection with the motor

Thye do, but dont have to - its not that hard to replace just the wiper rubber and nothing else.

Back