Car Buying War Story

You saved net $600 but didn't get the car you ordered. Who got screwed? Trust me, dealers rarely do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bingo. I don't care what s*** story they put down on paper, they win. Hell, they could have done this on purpose for all you know. A car is a huge purchase, either get what you ordered, or walk...

No. Walk. This was not some random mistake, it's the way they do business.
If I understand correctly, they already have the cars. So they can't walk now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If I understand correctly, they already have the cars. So they can't walk now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sounds to me like they have the 16.5 and not the 17, but are thinking of foregoing a 17 entirely now because of this one stealership. Lame. There's plenty of VW stealerships that will do the exact same thing. Live and learn I guess...

... You waited to do paperwork after the car was delivered? Isn't it normal to have the paperwork done before the dealer agrees to spend money getting a car moved? You saved net $600 but didn't get the car you ordered. Who got screwed?

I was a banker in a former life and did a lot of car deals, and I'm a business/corporate attorney now. At 58 years old, I've been around this gig many, many times. I've never seen a dealer do closing documents on a car that was not present at the time of closing. I would never sign off on title work, loan documents, etc on a car that was not on the dealer's lot at the time of closing.

What this dealer did was give me a one page "Purchase Agreement and Invoice" showing the vehicle ID number and financial terms of the deal. I didn't sign it, but I made a deposit. He ordered the car from another dealership that's about 100 miles away. I didn't care about the 100 miles on the car to transport for delivery, and I didn't care that the car didn't come with wheel locks, a cargo cover and a bumper protector - all of which I could get as dealer installed options if I actually cared about those options, which I didn't. The car we got was exactly what we wanted: 2016.5 CX-5 FWD White Parchment Tech Pkg. The other stuff was fluff we didn't care about. So when we inspected the car and realized this car was slightly different from the one we thought we were getting, we didn't give a s*** because it still had the stuff we really wanted.

The point is not that I ****** up, it's that the dealer ****** up and is either careless and incompetent or deceitful and sketchy. But at the end of the day, the only harm I've suffered is disappointment and frustration. The dealer screwed himself on deal 1 and lost out on deal 2.

Sounds to me like they have the 16.5 and not the 17, but are thinking of foregoing a 17 entirely now because of this one stealership. Lame. There's plenty of VW stealerships that will do the exact same thing. Live and learn I guess...

It's up to them if they want to walk but I would escalate the matter to Mazda USA HQ (if the dealer owner doesn't do anything) and see what happens. So long as the contract they have has everything they wanted listed and signed, HQ should be able to resolve the matter

Oh.. only a few accessories? Yea, no big deal. I was thinking you didn't get a package you wanted.

It's the 16. It sounds to me like the car they got that wasn't exactly what they wanted was only missing some accessories?

It's the 16. It sounds to me like the car they got that wasn't exactly what they wanted was only missing some accessories?

Could be. If the car is worth less then yes they should be refunded the difference.

First he says car was worth less. So I assumed a package was Missing.
Then says dealer installed accessories were missing which makes no sense. Two dealers not having 3 accessories? Between them is highly unlikely. Besides they could have ordered those and still be cheaper than 600 + customer would be happy too. Something doesn't add up.

They should get all the documentation they have and go to dealer principal/owner or Mazda USA HQ and get it sorted.

First he says car was worth less. So I assumed a package was Missing.
Then says dealer installed accessories were missing which makes no sense. Two dealers not having 3 accessories? Between them is highly unlikely. Besides they could have ordered those and still be cheaper than 600 + customer would be happy too. Something doesn't add up.
Wait...Kaps makes some sense here. Why would you get a car from another dealer because of accessories? Wouldn't you just take one off the lot and just wait for the accessories to come in if your dealer was out? Now, I'm confused...

Possible both dealers don't have the accessories at the same time.

If it were me, would not have collected any vehicles unless I got them to write on the contract the relevant accessory not installed but to come back and get fitted at later date when available (and get the dealer to sign this). I've done this previously with no issues.

I wouldnt worry about what a sales person is saying about me while hes having a beer with his buddies.

What do you do when a car delivered to you by a dealer is not the same car that you ordered? Dont accept it, dont sign anything, dont pay anything, ask for an immediate refund of your deposit, and dont go back to that dealership. Thats what I would do.

Before you walk out of a dealership after ordering a new car, you should have a written copy of the car order. The order should specify the year, make, model, drive train, exterior color, interior color, option packages, and accessories. You can write in stipulations on the sales contract provided the sales manager approves and signs it. Im not a car buying expert and this is what I did: I wrote in an anti-bush sentence. To bush comes from the phrase to beat around the bush meaning to delay or stall the completion of something. I wrote it in for my last new car order, a Nissan. It went like this: If the car model year, model, color, options, and accessories as listed above at the price agreed upon listed above, is not delivered to me by such-and-such date, this sales order will be null and void and the deposit immediately refunded to me. The sales manager approved it. The dealer said it would take 4 months to get the car. I gave them 5 months. It arrived in 4 months. Everything went smoothly. This anti-bush sentence gives you an out just in case the wrong model is delivered to you or if it takes too long to arrive. It worked for me.

I wouldn’t worry about what a sales person is saying about me while he’s having a beer with his buddies.

What do you do when a car delivered to you by a dealer is not the same car that you ordered? Don’t accept it, don’t sign anything, don’t pay anything, ask for an immediate refund of your deposit, and don’t go back to that dealership. That’s what I would do.

Before you walk out of a dealership after ordering a new car, you should have a written copy of the car order. The order should specify the year, make, model, drive train, exterior color, interior color, option packages, and accessories. You can write in stipulations on the sales contract provided the sales manager approves and signs it. I’m not a car buying expert and this is what I did: I wrote in an “anti-bush” sentence. To “bush” comes from the phrase “to beat around the bush” meaning to delay or stall the completion of something. I wrote it in for my last new car order, a Nissan. It went like this: “If the car model year, model, color, options, and accessories as listed above at the price agreed upon listed above, is not delivered to me by such-and-such date, this sales order will be null and void and the deposit immediately refunded to me.” The sales manager approved it. The dealer said it would take 4 months to get the car. I gave them 5 months. It arrived in 4 months. Everything went smoothly. This anti-bush sentence gives you an out just in case the wrong model is delivered to you or if it takes too long to arrive. It worked for me.

(bow)
Filing this one away for future use...

Back