Hail Storm Test II - Involuntary Of Course

Back in '95, we had been in our new home for about two weeks, still unpacking (car outside, moving boxes in garage). The sound of thousands of baseball-sized hailstones hitting the garage door as we sheltered in the basement was deafening. We ended up with a new roof, garage door, ridge vent gutters, and lots of vehicle damage. I think the total was over $35K. I kept a few of the hailstones in the freezer for a few years to show friends. One was a cluster of three or four golfball-sized spheres fused together into a grapefruit-sized cannonball.

It is a helpless feeling hearing everything getting destroyed.
Same experience but the difference is yours was 22 years ago but ours is fresh and has been several in recent years although we'll never forget this kind of helpless feeling in our life!

What about one of those new metal roofs? Looks like shingles but supposed to be way tougher and gives a discount on insurance.

Same experience but the difference is yours was 22 years ago but ours is fresh and has been several in recent years although we'll never forget this kind of helpless feeling in our life!

RG Flyer: I Love the keeping of sample HAILSTONES in the freezer... That would also be me! :D

I have also always wondered about those who have SOLAR PANELS installed on the home? (shrug)

Back in 1990, I once saw a Mazda B2000 that had been thru one of these bad storms. It was the most hideous thing I ever saw, nearly EVERY square inch of horizontal surface looked like it had been struck with a medium ball peen hammer by a very angry person. Whereas every VERTICAL surface on the truck was still in mint shape.
(omg)

What about one of those new metal roofs? Looks like shingles but supposed to be way tougher and gives a discount on insurance.
We had considered newer impact resistance Class 4 shingle before last roof replacement. But for 50% more on material cost than my current GAF lifetime shingle which also have to out of our own pocket to upgrade, we decided not to use it thinking there's no way we'll get another hit that soon! Metal roof is available in our area but except those multi-million-dollar homes very few home owners use it due to much higher cost than Class 4 shingle!

I have also always wondered about those who have SOLAR PANELS installed on the home? (shrug)
Yeah that's why solar panels on the roof in our area is not popular even though we have plenty of sun in Texas. A friend of mine does have huge solar panels covering his entire roof. He told me the panel manufacture guarantees the impact resistance up to golf-ball-sized hail, and would offer free replacement if the panel ever break due to the hail!

Back in 1990, I once saw a Mazda B2000 that had been thru one of these bad storms. It was the most hideous thing I ever saw, nearly EVERY square inch of horizontal surface looked like it had been struck with a medium ball peen hammer by a very angry person. Whereas every VERTICAL surface on the truck was still in mint shape.
(omg)
Our 2016 CX-5 now looks similar to that Mazda B2000 you saw! There're too many dents on hood and roof I easily lost count when I tried to! The pictures don't show too many due to silver paint and reflection from the tree. Cracked windshield surprised me a bit as I thought the hail is not as large as last time just a lot more intense. We actually thought the windshield survived the hail at first because the cracked area was blocked by passenger-side sun visor while driving. Wife is really mad at me by not putting it in the garage that night! :(

Hmmmm, sure seems to be something to this. Searched nhtsa, 106 windshield related complaints for 2014 -2016 CX-5s, 11 for same range cr-vs

Hmmmm, sure seems to be something to this. Searched nhtsa, 106 windshield related complaints for 2014 -2016 CX-5s, 11 for same range cr-vs
I tallied some stats from NHTSA data about windshield complaints a while ago in this long thread:

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

Comparing to other competitors, there's no doubt we have overwhelming number of weak windshield complaints on CX-5 at NHTSA website, especially if you consider Honda CR-V sold at least 3 times more vehicles each year than CX-5's!

That is some frightening size hail. Sorry to hear you have to deal with that damage on car and home.

What is typical roof material used in your area?

Fortunately in my area we don't have anything like that... but we wait for the 3-500 year / 9.x richter scale Cascadia subduction zone quake to occur

Last one was in January 1700.

That is some frightening size hail. Sorry to hear you have to deal with that damage on car and home.

What is typical roof material used in your area?

Fortunately in my area we don't have anything like that... but we wait for the 3-500 year / 9.x richter scale Cascadia subduction zone quake to occur

Last one was in January 1700.
Our house started with cedar wood shingle on the roof and was mandatory roof material by HOA until it got banned around 1998 due to fire hazards. People now commonly use composite shingles in our area such as GAF Timberline Lifetime Architectural Roofing Shingles.

If those don't work maybe something like this... hopefully not crazy expensive as copper

http://www.euroshieldroofing.com/hail-proof-roofing/

My home just has composite but cabin has a new (2010) standing seam metal roof.... although massive sized hail and metal roof seems like a bad combo
Ha this Euro Shield shingle sure looks strong against hail! We'd considered newer Class 4 impact resistance shingle before last roof replacement but gave up due to 50% more cost on material alone! The good part of using more expensive hail-resistance shingles is we can get discount on insurance. But the initial installation cost is too high, and you still need to replace all other damaged vent caps, turbine vents, ridge caps, wood sidings, window screens, wood fence, and gutters, even if shingles are survived.

Back in '95, we had been in our new home for about two weeks, still unpacking (car outside, moving boxes in garage). The sound of thousands of baseball-sized hailstones hitting the garage door as we sheltered in the basement was deafening. We ended up with a new roof, garage door, ridge vent gutters, and lots of vehicle damage. I think the total was over $35K. I kept a few of the hailstones in the freezer for a few years to show friends. One was a cluster of three or four golfball-sized spheres fused together into a grapefruit-sized cannonball.

It is a helpless feeling hearing everything getting destroyed.

A few years back I was working in a metal roofed studio when a hailstorm hit - "only" golf ball sized, but it was a constant furious roar for an hour. You had to yell to be heard. Hail was piled up nearly a foot in some places - looked like snow in April. My car then was totalled, even though still perfectly driveable.

Back