Hail Storm Test II - Involuntary Of Course

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Lightning never strikes twice but THE HAIL STORM DOES! Our CX-5 got hit once by hail last year, and got hit again by a localized hail storm which struck our area without warning last night at about 11:00PM. A cold front was coming and the heavy rain was started without hail. Usually this's a good sign and the weather channel didn't put our area in hail warning at all but all warnings were at north of us. Suddenly a batch of golf-ball to tennis-ball-sized hail was popping up and falling in our area and unfortunately our 2016 CX-5 was parked on the road side at front! The same thing happened on March 23rd last year and the windshield got smashed on our CX-5. Strangely our CX-5 was the only car suffered windshield damage, none other vehicles including ours parked nearby had the windshield smashed!

Hail Storm Test - Involuntary Of Course

This time the hail might be a little smaller but much more intense. The result of course is not pretty. Sonic Silver again hides many dents from pictures. Our CX-5 has a lot more dents this time, and the PDR people in our area are going to be very busy for another year! Strangely, the windshield, replaced with OEM glass and was the only option last year for GT with Tech, suffered cracks at upper right corner! Again none other vehicles including ours parked nearby has suffered the windshield damage from last night's hail storm!

Although hail falling can be tricky and random, but it's going to be a very hard sell for me to believe CX-5's windshield is not weak, as ours has been proven twice! (boom07)

Worse, we just put a new roof on our house 3 weeks ago from last-year's hail damage - the 2nd roof in 4 years all due to hail damage! I have trouble already finding a good homeowner insurance during the renewal in this month, and the new insurance policy has just started on April 19th. Now the 3rd roof is in order in 5 years!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hail_Damage_20170421_001.jpg Hail_Damage_20170421_002.jpg Hail_Damage_20170421_003.jpg

Last edited:
That sucks. Sorry to hear it happened twice. Windshield worries me. Thinking of 3m wrap for heat. Maybe it will save mine someday.
Are you thinking of doing a windshield tint?

Screw th wx channel.. look at aviation weather
http://www.aviationweather.gov/airep. Check the radar (loop) for directions trend and grab soe moving blanket from HF lol under forecasts you can click TAFS, put in KAQO (llano airport) click decode and it will give you th actual wx at that airport

Nvm you are in plano not llano lol but same concept honestly the adds wx radar is a good reference

That sucks. Sorry to hear it happened twice. Windshield worries me. Thinking of 3m wrap for heat. Maybe it will save mine someday.
Are you thinking of doing a windshield tint?
Not much we can do when we have too many cars and too much junk in the garage. But I've almost got used to those hail damages as we've seen too many in North Texas in recent years! Our goal is still moving to California someday but I fully understand the cost of housing has skyrocketed in California simply because too many people from all over the world want to move there enjoying nice weather and good opportunity!

I haven't consider any windshield tint as I feel the AC, not like new CX-9, is very capable in CX-5. Besides I don't like anything darker than factory windows although I've seen those transparent windshield tint. And I really doubt how much more those windshield tint can protect from the hail damage.

Damn that sucks. One positive is it looks like your headlights came through unscathed. I've always wondered how strong those casings are.

Nvm you are in plano not llano lol but same concept honestly the adds wx radar is a good reference
Aviation weather radar? That should be more accurate and up to date! I'll look into that next time! But our house doesn't have wheels and can't run away from hail storm unfortunately ⋯

The old lady of my next door doesn't want to call insurance because she's afraid of needing another new roof due to last night's hail. The insurance company will first increase your premium drastically, then kick you out of their policy if you're filing more claims even though it's from natural disaster! I'd received a warning letter from my homeowner insurance after my second roof damage, in addition to 50% premium increase!

Damn. Sorry to hear. That's some giant hail. 40 years in Ohio and Ive never seen anything larger then marbles. Can't imagine ping pong to ... Freaking tennis balls?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Damn that sucks. One positive is it looks like your headlights came through unscathed. I've always wondered how strong those casings are.
Those "polycarbonate" headlight lens is very strong, and definitely stronger than our windshield. The only thing worrying me is the yellowing in the long run on our plastic headlight lens!

Damn. Sorry to hear. That's some giant hail. 40 years in Ohio and Ive never seen anything larger then marbles. Can't imagine ping pong to ... Freaking tennis balls?
Actually the Dallas Morning News now says it's baseball-sized hail falling in our area last night! You can see some videos from the link:

Late-night storms bring baseball-size hail to Collin County

C9-0RrvU0AAd8Cq.jpg

Yeah when we're living in Iowa City many years ago pea-sized hail was the biggest we'd experienced!

wow that sucks, sorry to hear man.... the silver color definitely helps in covering the dents, were you planning to repair the hood or just leave it as is ?

I guess go with an aftermarket windshield this time around ?

Oh MY! Last few years we have been getting hail and small tornadoes here in northern CAL. But the hail here is usually fluffy and pea-marble sized, and covers the ground like snow quickly.

I can not even imagine how helpless I would feel watching frozen baseballs land on everything... (bang)

Stop buying oem glass from mazda. It's s***. I went through 2, and now I'm on safelite house brand and it's held up for a year. Mine lasted a few months the first time, and 3 days the next, with oem. F that noise.

wow that sucks, sorry to hear man.... the silver color definitely helps in covering the dents, were you planning to repair the hood or just leave it as is ?

I guess go with an aftermarket windshield this time around ?

From the experience of fixing the hail dents last year, I feel the insurance will want to replace the hood and roof and repaint these areas instead of PDR them like I did last time as there're so many dents from this hail storm than last year's. I actually hope the CX-5 can be totaled so that we can get a new CX-5 with minimum additional cost to us like a friend of us did last year. I'll wait and see how the adjuster would say next week.

Oh MY! Last few years we have been getting hail and small tornadoes here in northern CAL. But the hail here is usually fluffy and pea-marble sized, and covers the ground like snow quickly.

I can not even imagine how helpless I would feel watching frozen baseballs land on everything... (bang)
Yeah the experience of helpless when we heard the hail pounding to the roof is hard to describe, especially our roof is only 3 weeks old! :(

Yeah the experience of helpless when we heard the hail pounding to the roof is hard to describe, especially our roof is only 3 weeks old! :(

Back in '95, we had been in our new home for about two weeks, still unpacking (car outside, moving boxes in garage). The sound of thousands of baseball-sized hailstones hitting the garage door as we sheltered in the basement was deafening. We ended up with a new roof, garage door, ridge vent gutters, and lots of vehicle damage. I think the total was over $35K. I kept a few of the hailstones in the freezer for a few years to show friends. One was a cluster of three or four golfball-sized spheres fused together into a grapefruit-sized cannonball.

It is a helpless feeling hearing everything getting destroyed.

seems like your area is very susceptible to hail storms, maybe consider hail covers ?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&biw=1286&bih=725&tbm=isch&sa=1&btnG=Search&q=hail+cover+for+cars
For 36 years living in the Dallas area we did experience several large hail storms and a couple of small tornados passing by. But we haven't experienced these many large hail storms in such a short period of time. Many friends living in the same city suffered only smaller hail without damaging to the cars and roof, but our neighborhood seemed getting the worst part of last night's hail storm in the city! 4 years ago we put more expensive life-time roof thinking it would last for a long time like the last roof. It lasted 2+ years and needed a new roof. I waited for almost a year to put a new roof thinking we won't get another large hail storm that fast like last time. But it lasted only 3 weeks this time for these life-time shingles. What a waste!

These hail protectors are effective only if we deploy it everytime there's slight chance of rain. That would be very annoying and silly. Like I mentioned earlier, there's no warnings from any weather channels, and the hail was started after 10 minutes of heavy rain which is very unusual to my experience.

Stop buying oem glass from mazda. It's s***. I went through 2, and now I'm on safelite house brand and it's held up for a year. Mine lasted a few months the first time, and 3 days the next, with oem. F that noise.
Ha I'd definitely try aftermarket windshield this time if I could! The problem is there's none available for 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech. $666.25 OEM glass from Japan is the only option!

Latest posts

Back