Adding After Market CD PLayer/Changer to 2017 GT - Possible?

I don't think the CX-5 USB 1.0Amp is powerful enough to power up the disc drive, i think you need at least a 2.0Amp port,

When I connect an external CD drive to a 1.0Amp USB multi-port, it doesn't power up, I had to add an additional power cable like below....

[emoji108] good enough for me. Sounds like I've seen enough to discount an option I was throwing out there.

As for me, I haven't used the a CD player in years.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Even if it could...it still won't output sound. Headphone jack is best bet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Doesn't data go over USB? Wouldn't it recognize it as a drive just like music from a USB?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
No. It would have to support audio out through USB. This is not something natively built into USB ports.

Yep, 7eregrine is correct. I just did this and WAV from USB stick sounds exactly like it's coming from a CD, you end up with a huge 37MB song file but that's because it's not compressed, I used WavePad and literally took only about a minute to rip from CD to WAV format.

use any sound editor you prefer, I used WavePad:

pop into your laptop CD drive and load into WavePad

select the CD track you want ripped

CD track loaded, here you can do whatever you want cut, paste, gradual transistion in/out, etc, I just left it as original recording....

select save as and choose WAV format

choose the highest quality setting

what you end up with is a big WAV file, svae the WAV file to a USB stick and install the USB to the CX-5, the CX-5 will recognize the WAV file and enjoy. The sound QUALITY is EXCELLENT, same as a CD, it sounded like it's playing from a virtual CD player.

Use FLAC instead... smaller files and still lossless.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

That's a great one. I use Media Monkey but I paid for it. Free version does flac, but not mp3. No better program to organize a digital library. If you rip to lossless, flac or WAV, then you will have perfect copies. I don't think flac works with iTunes, though.
If anyone is really interested, I'd be happy to help. Although there is some quality info here already.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's great advice thank you! I don't need iTunes for anything outside of an easy upload. I'll just grab an SSD and stick it in the centre console.
I do miss having the CD player though... something about owning physical media. Maybe I'm just old school (cassette player would be great as well!!!) (shady)

Latest posts

Back