Who plans to own their CX-5 at least 10 years or more?

I just bought a 65,000 mile one. My plan is to keep it at least 10 years. My dream is to join the 200,000 club with it! I'll do everything possible to increase my chances by doing proper maintenance plus a little extra maintenance not specified by Mazda, using oem fluids, annual rust inspections and treatment if need but even with that, it's all up to the car God's unfortunately.

My parents gave me a PT Cruiser with 100,000 miles and I did all of the above but I only get the piece of s*** to 122,000 with multiple repairs before it had to be towed twice and just got so unreliable that it wasn't practical to keep as it's my only car so I bought my beautiful CX-5!

Its the transmission that has me being cautious about long term ownership (ignoring all the stupid rattles).

I'd feel much better if I had a lifetime powertrain warranty, that some owners on here have said they've received.

Yeah, I've been starting to get that impression as well. I've noticed lately that if I am doing a nice cruising speed, anywhere between 40mph up to 70mph(just the speeds I have noticed it), if I stomp on the gas to get ahead, pass ,etc. I feel the transmission like buck/jump/jerk/etc. Its kinda disturbing and very noticeable. First time it did it I was really worried. Wasn't an average downshift imo. Has anyone noticed such a thing on their CX5? Other than that it's a great transmission.

Yeah, I've been starting to get that impression as well. I've noticed lately that if I am doing a nice cruising speed, anywhere between 40mph up to 70mph(just the speeds I have noticed it), if I stomp on the gas to get ahead, pass ,etc. I feel the transmission like buck/jump/jerk/etc. Its kinda disturbing and very noticeable. First time it did it I was really worried. Wasn't an average downshift imo. Has anyone noticed such a thing on their CX5? Other than that it's a great transmission.

I don't think I've noticed that. But often times I still have to fight to get it out of park because of the resistance. Sometimes I need to do 3 deep presses on the brake pedal to get it to slide smoothly out of Park (this even happens sometimes when I use the parking brake). And now that I'm leery of its performance, I think I notice a slight hesitation when shifting between R and D. It could be my imagination.... who knows.

I don't think I've noticed that. But often times I still have to fight to get it out of park because of the resistance. Sometimes I need to do 3 deep presses on the brake pedal to get it to slide smoothly out of Park (this even happens sometimes when I use the parking brake). And now that I'm leery of its performance, I think I notice a slight hesitation when shifting between R and D. It could be my imagination.... who knows.

Yeah I haven't had any of those issues you just described.

My parents gave me a PT Cruiser with 100,000 miles and I did all of the above but I only get the piece of s*** to 122,000 with multiple repairs before it had to be towed twice and just got so unreliable that it wasn't practical to keep as it's my only car so I bought my beautiful CX-5!

Faux wood panel model?

c182b047126624b5a3becfd868fa1762.jpg

Uno have you tried doing this?:

Example, merging unto an empty freeway or open road. You're now up to 65 and likely in 5th-6th gear. You're cruising with the gas pedal about 10-15% pressed. You're getting about 19mpg on your readings.

Lay off the gas for a second. (Think of it as resetting your inputs).

Now go back to your 10-15% gas pedal state. When I do this the current mpg figures changes from like 19 to 30. Try practicing this even when doing lower speeds as well.

I average per tank. On my highway mileage, I get in the car, and drive until it's near empty, fuel up, and drive some more. I re-set after every trip, or every tank, whichever. I've been doing this since 2015, and the best I've gotten for a "daily commute" has been 23.5mpg per tank. The best I've gotten for a trip was 28.7, I believe.

It just is what it is.

You pull your feet of the pedal it goes to 6th from 5th. Thats it. If its in 6th you are not getting any better FE. but ofcourse torque etc. is lower in 6th. This is a technique I use often to go from 0 - 45 in city. Otherwise CX5 holds gears a little longer.
I dont think it will help him much - 26 on highway is about right if he is doing 70-75. 20 City is a bit low imo. I think since his is a Rental - there could be problems with it. After all this is no Rav4 etc. that is built solid.

To Banjos:
Tranny is my biggest concern as well. It shifts so frequently even on highways when a bump comes along. I dont like that idea. I have almost stopped engine braking - for me this car needs to last 80k miles and give more service to its 2nd owner. Or atleast sell fast.
I won't even own a Toyota for 10 years. Its just not worth it with all the quick upgrades pouring in. A quieter / safer car will only be a little more. Plus folks who only shop used will get a good well kept / loved car with ok to good quality parts and a little more fun than Honda / Toyota.

Car is fine. "because it's a rental" just means I paid less. The 20 around town is because of the hellacious warm-up cycle this thing has. That really drags the daily commute numbers down.

As to shifting, my transmission is amazing. It shifts when it needs to, and doesn't when it doesn't. It will almost lug the vehicle up a mountain before downshifting...but not quite. It's about how I drive a manual for economy, and when I get on it, it holds RPMs after I get off it for a few seconds, it engine brakes "on its own", etc. Again, just how I'd drive a manual.

I had bought a new 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS MT (my first NEW car ever) and decided, after two years, that is wasn't the car for me. I ended up biting a bit of a bullet on the trade to get a used 2014 Mzda CX5 GS (2.5 L) and never have looked back. I enjoy my new car, especially seeing that we experience quite the drastic changes in weather in southern Ontario. So, I'll keep my ride for as long as it'll support my needs and bank account.

I try to keep my cars for as long as possible

Yes I plan on keeping my CX-5 and 3 for at least 10 years - maybe.
We like driving our 2014 Mazda 3 I Touring a lot, bought it new and it has been a very reliable car. It now has 52,000 miles on the OD and I plan on giving it to my daughter to drive in 4 years when she goes to college.
When it came time to replace our 2008 Outback with another AWD vehicle that my other daughter can drive we took several others out for a test drive and liked the 2016 CX-5 the best. Better than the 2017 KIA Sportage and better than the 2016 CRV.
I am now leasing my black CX-5 Touring, got it back in November and it hasn't let me down yet, my only complaint is that the windshield wipers don't work as good as my old Subaru but maybe i just need to get better wiper blades.
If it continues to be trouble free for 30,00 more miles I might keep it after the lease is over. It handles the deep snow pretty good with the stock tires but if i keep it I'll put snow tires on it for winter months.

Back