Who plans to own their CX-5 at least 10 years or more?

Most likely the last vehicle I'll ever buy. Had it a year and a half and totally perfect. No rattles, gaps, nothing. I'm turning 65 this year. I'm retiring within the next year. I am totally In love with this vehicle. Quality much better than the BMW.
Well my 2011 328 has 137,000 miles on it and runs as quiet as the day I bought it with absolutely no issues. How many miles do you have on your CX5?

Funny - i threw my toaster out today. All dial markings were gone except 4 mins which was fading fast as well. I guess translating it to cars it would be 130K miles. Buying a new one soon.

My toaster is still doing well. I don't think the notches on the dials equate to anything, I set it by "feel". Lost 2-3 slices that way, but now, all is well.

As to my toaster of a vehicle, just got the oil changed, tires rotated, and a new air filter. She's averaging her 20mpg around town and in general underwhelming me in every possible way except not breaking. I'll keep her until she underwhelms me there, as well. Boring. Slow. Not as economical as I'd hoped. Bleh.

Well my 2011 328 has 137,000 miles on it and runs as quiet as the day I bought it with absolutely no issues. How many miles do you have on your CX5?

Well, I had 14000 miles on my 228 and I have 15000 on my CX-5 now. No rattles in my CX-5, a number of rattles and interior quality issues in the BMW. Sure was fun to drive though really miss that six speed manual

My toaster is still doing well. I don't think the notches on the dials equate to anything, I set it by "feel". Lost 2-3 slices that way, but now, all is well.

As to my toaster of a vehicle, just got the oil changed, tires rotated, and a new air filter. She's averaging her 20mpg around town and in general underwhelming me in every possible way except not breaking. I'll keep her until she underwhelms me there, as well. Boring. Slow. Not as economical as I'd hoped. Bleh.

In my style of driving the best I hit is 34 with morning city traffic or lack of. In evening back home the city traffic is brutal and I hit 24 ish. The avg is 28 which is great.
Cant complain in City my 16.5 CX-5 >>> 15 Camry, period.
Noticed that its more efficient for smaller runs as well. 22 mpg.

Now if my commute was 60 mph average - I would be a little pissed as well reading 33 on EPA sticker but getting 27.
I try to steer anyone who does a ton of commute on Interstates away from CX-5. Wasnt there a guy who had 300K on a Volvo - guess he didnt buy a CX-5. Smart chap.

I'd give up 5 more mpg and still wouldn't buy that diesel.

Is that a dig against diesels in general or the cx5 diesel? I just know diesels are especially beneficial for highway driving and with the improved quietness of the cx5, seems like a nice recipe. I don't know too much about diesels otherwise so maybe I am unaware of something.

Is that a dig against diesels in general or the cx5 diesel? I just know diesels are especially beneficial for highway driving and with the improved quietness of the cx5, seems like a nice recipe. I don't know too much about diesels otherwise so maybe I am unaware of something.

It's a dog at diesels in general. Unless I need one for towing a massive amount of weight in a large truck, I steer clear, but as the saying goes, to each his own. I do think it's cool to see diesels make a lot of power, though. I'm probably wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the diesel not catch on here in the CX-5.

It's a dog at diesels in general. Unless I need one for towing a massive amount of weight in a large truck, I steer clear, but as the saying goes, to each his own. I do think it's cool to see diesels make a lot of power, though. I'm probably wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the diesel not catch on here in the CX-5.

Gotcha. I think the 2.5T would be much more popular and would of been the better direction for mazda.

Gotcha. I think the 2.5T would be much more popular and would of been the better direction for mazda.

Just think of it - Ford alone on its focus has more drive train options than whole of Mazda NA combined.
2.5T

Assuming 2.2D will be added.
A 6.5 sec 0-60 should satisfy a lot of zoom zoom :D

Ever have any transmission issues? IIRC.... a higher than normal failure rate with those early 2000's Honda ATs.

Yes, I got the transmission replaced just shy of 100K miles with a rebuild from Acura dealer. It was under the mileage on the extended recall warranty but past the time. They gave me 50% goodwill so net was $2K I had to pay. I don't get service done at the dealership or they might have given more goodwill (but I would have probably spent more than $2K more than necessary in ridiculous rates and prices).

I'm at 180K+ miles now and its in pretty good shape still, but I've been replacing suspension components and such myself as they age, and have annoying rear main seal and oil pump leaks that are cosmetic and not worth the expense of fixing. I mostly started thinking about a newer car because my wife doesn't appreciate my hobby of maintaining the car when it spend 5 or 6 hours on a weekend to do repairs in the garage.

Yes, a diesel plus a quiet cabin makes for a nice highway trip machine. That's why I want one. Diesels are also good for around town driving because of the low end torque.

The 2.5T in the CX-9 is very diesel-like in its power delivery, so I like it a lot too. The 2.5T would also be quicker, at least in the lower gears, probably a second quicker 0-60 than the diesel. But if you buy the diesel, the initial price premium will be offset by fuel savings, so if you keep the car long enough it might end up being a zero cost option. Whereas the 2.5T would get worse mileage than the NA 2.5 so you'd never recoup the extra cost. The diesel will also have lower CO2 emissions, if that matters to you.

I would probably take either option, but given the choice between the two I'd rather have the diesel.

to answer the OPs question, we plan on driving our CX-5 untill the wheels fall off. I get a new car every ~5 years.

In my style of driving the best I hit is 34 with morning city traffic or lack of. In evening back home the city traffic is brutal and I hit 24 ish. The avg is 28 which is great.
Cant complain in City my 16.5 CX-5 >>> 15 Camry, period.
Noticed that its more efficient for smaller runs as well. 22 mpg.

Now if my commute was 60 mph average - I would be a little pissed as well reading 33 on EPA sticker but getting 27.
I try to steer anyone who does a ton of commute on Interstates away from CX-5. Wasnt there a guy who had 300K on a Volvo - guess he didnt buy a CX-5. Smart chap.

Around town I'm getting 20mpg or so, on highway drives, 26-28. Average runs 22.5 per tank. It kindof sucks at everything compared to what sticker claims.

Its the transmission that has me being cautious about long term ownership (ignoring all the stupid rattles).

I'd feel much better if I had a lifetime powertrain warranty, that some owners on here have said they've received.

Around town I'm getting 20mpg or so, on highway drives, 26-28. Average runs 22.5 per tank. It kindof sucks at everything compared to what sticker claims.

That sounds wrong. Just plain wrong.
Bring it in b4 the 60K mile warranty runs out.

Funny thing - this morning my wiper quit cleaning. 8 months life / 10k miles for a wiper in Texas weather is crap. Only RCTA and BSM - if these two were in Sport I wouldnt upgrade to Touring for extra $$$ and pick a 21K Sport.

Uno have you tried doing this?:

Example, merging unto an empty freeway or open road. You're now up to 65 and likely in 5th-6th gear. You're cruising with the gas pedal about 10-15% pressed. You're getting about 19mpg on your readings.

Lay off the gas for a second. (Think of it as resetting your inputs).

Now go back to your 10-15% gas pedal state. When I do this the current mpg figures changes from like 19 to 30. Try practicing this even when doing lower speeds as well.

Uno have you tried doing this?:

Example, merging unto an empty freeway or open road. You're now up to 65 and likely in 5th-6th gear. You're cruising with the gas pedal about 10-15% pressed. You're getting about 19mpg on your readings.

Lay off the gas for a second. (Think of it as resetting your inputs).

Now go back to your 10-15% gas pedal state. When I do this the current mpg figures changes from like 19 to 30. Try practicing this even when doing lower speeds as well.

You pull your feet of the pedal it goes to 6th from 5th. Thats it. If its in 6th you are not getting any better FE. but ofcourse torque etc. is lower in 6th. This is a technique I use often to go from 0 - 45 in city. Otherwise CX5 holds gears a little longer.
I dont think it will help him much - 26 on highway is about right if he is doing 70-75. 20 City is a bit low imo. I think since his is a Rental - there could be problems with it. After all this is no Rav4 etc. that is built solid.

To Banjos:
Tranny is my biggest concern as well. It shifts so frequently even on highways when a bump comes along. I dont like that idea. I have almost stopped engine braking - for me this car needs to last 80k miles and give more service to its 2nd owner. Or atleast sell fast.
I won't even own a Toyota for 10 years. Its just not worth it with all the quick upgrades pouring in. A quieter / safer car will only be a little more. Plus folks who only shop used will get a good well kept / loved car with ok to good quality parts and a little more fun than Honda / Toyota.

Back