Yakima SkyBox on Fixed Point Landing Pad Setup

AMGTX22

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
I've got a Yakima rack set up on the Fixed Point factory anchor points of my 2015 GT AWD. According to the Yakima website, the SkyBox is not compatible with this setup. I assume this is due to the fact that the rear bar is not level with the front bar, because the Yakima site says that the SkyBox is compatible with a Q-Tower setup (clamped to the rear door frame) which has level bars.

Does anyone have experience with a SkyBox in this setup?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if this setup is physically unstable/dangerous, or simply on the wrong side of a threshold for Yakima's lawyers, just looks bad with the nose of the SkyBox sticking up in the air, is noisy, etc.... if the latter issues I'm not really concerned about them.

I am also curious if I could mount the SkyBox as far back as possible to fix any of the above issues. In other words, place the bar hooks as far forward as they go in the SkyBox, with the back end sticking out over the hatch somewhat. This would require adjusting the box forward to open the hatch but, again, not an issue for me personally.

TIA...

IMG_5961.JPG
IMG_5962.JPG

The SkyBox 16 doesn't fit. The barspread is too long when using the LP11 Fixed point.
The Skybox Lo, 12, 18 and 21 do fit however you can't open the hatch completely and you can't shift the box since the hardware is maxed out for barspread.

the LP11 fit is great for Kayaks, canoes and some bike fits. Q tower/Baseline tower fit is has more versatility with less limitations.

Edit:

Thanks! I got the setup for my kayaks, and it's been great, but I'm trying to increase storage for an upcoming road trip...

Do you know if the front end incline (due to the lower rear crossbar) would be an issue with the 18? (None of the SkyBoxes are listed as compatible on the Yakima site). My main worry is increased wind drag affecting steering.

It may be better (and about the same price) to just install a trailer hitch and use a Hitch-Haul...

Last edited:
Back