Gas Mileage 2017 Mazda CX-5 AWD (GT)

Waitwut

:
2017 CX-5 AWD GT
Hi Everyone!

Started lurking these forums in November, waiting for the 2017 CX-5 to come out, and immediately purchased one once rolled out in late march :) (GT, AWD, Meteor Gray)
So far, ive been really happy with the car (jumping from a 2006 Mazda3) as its a joy to drive and has a lot of features.

One thing i cannot wrap my head around is the gas mileage. On average, i get about 21.5 mpg, which to me seems on the low side, even for driving mostly city.

My question here is what are your experiences with gas mileage so far. I've only put on about 600 miles so far (short commute to work) and am doing a road trip to Utah from the San Diego area, so i may be able to get a better idea of mileage after that.

Cheers,

Waitwut

Is this your TANK mpg, or your Instant MPG?

What is your tire PSI?

Is this data from your hand calculation or onboard computer?

Remember to RESET the average MPG and average speed data at next fill up.

Out of curiosity and for comparison what MPG avg did you get in your Mazda3?

San Diego is not the best place for MPG's...stoplights, stop and go freeway traffic, hills...

Hi Everyone!

Started lurking these forums in November, waiting for the 2017 CX-5 to come out, and immediately purchased one once rolled out in late march :) (GT, AWD, Meteor Gray)
So far, ive been really happy with the car (jumping from a 2006 Mazda3) as its a joy to drive and has a lot of features.

One thing i cannot wrap my head around is the gas mileage. On average, i get about 21.5 mpg, which to me seems on the low side, even for driving mostly city.

My question here is what are your experiences with gas mileage so far. I've only put on about 600 miles so far (short commute to work) and am doing a road trip to Utah from the San Diego area, so i may be able to get a better idea of mileage after that.

Cheers,

Waitwut

I've been driving my new FWD 2017 GT CX-5 for the past two weeks and seem to get 22-24 MPG per fill up of the tank. One think I have found that really helps me get better mileage is using the radar cruise control on the freeway, even in stop and go traffic. It works really well, and the car seems to drive itself more efficiently than I do.

2016.5 Touring FWD> I am getting average of just about 23 mpg. Bay area. 65/35 city/hwy. Normal driving style. Almost 3500 miles so far. I would be happy to see it go up to 25 or higher. From what i can see city driving is the one causing the dip.

I've been driving my new FWD 2017 GT CX-5 for the past two weeks and seem to get 22-24 MPG per fill up of the tank. One think I have found that really helps me get better mileage is using the radar cruise control on the freeway, even in stop and go traffic. It works really well, and the car seems to drive itself more efficiently than I do.

lol.. you must be a really inefficient driver for that to be the case.

Radar cruise can't look further ahead than the car directly in front. It can't look a 1/4 mile ahead and start letting off the gas like you can.

2016.5 Touring FWD> I am getting average of just about 23 mpg. Bay area. 65/35 city/hwy. Normal driving style. Almost 3500 miles so far. I would be happy to see it go up to 25 or higher. From what i can see city driving is the one causing the dip.

Those numbers seem low given that your car has a city number of 24 MPG. Course, depending on the part of the Bay Area, the highway can be worse than the city.

My 2015 barely budges from around 28 MPG. I've gotten it to 30 a couple of times and hit 25 on occasion but 28 MPG it is. Of course, YMMV, as I knew a guy who claimed he got 35 MPG. He had a 100 mile commute, one-way, and the only way I could figure is that it was wind-aided both ways, or one-way and neutral, which might have been possible given his commute.

Hope the VW guys didn't find new jobs.

Reading all these post about gas millage, it seems to be an obsession with some people. Try driving a pickup truck for the last 13 yrs like I did. I get twice the millage and smile every time I pull into a gas station.

To the OP - the 6 speed auto has these two high efficient speeds 30 mph ( goes to 5th) and 50 goes to 6th gear. Try driving at these if possible - on an empty road I would drive 50 on 45 rated roads. If you have a choice of 40 and 30 - 30 would be better. IF your torque requirements are low it will stay in 6th even if you drop below 50mph to 48. Coasting in CX-5 drops the gear down - for better control and forces engine braking even when you dont want it to. Throw it in fake manual if it does that and you have a long downhill coast holding a higher gear.
Above 65 on highway CX-5 does poorly. Keep AC full blown and add more passengers it suffers even more. I have averaged 32 mpg in Dallas commute (we have highways which are generally flowing at same speed as city roads) - if I get a good stretch of 50 mph driving - I can easily beat 32 but still i get a combined 28 - 32 based on idle times / errands etc. Your mileage will suck if you do short trips. This week my Avg is 25.8 doing a lot of zoom zoom.
17 should be slightly better in highway and should hit its stated EPA - 16s are taller and less aero dynamic.

Another two tips to see if it helps FE:
Pulse and glide even during accelerating - it doesnt hold gears longer and upshifts sooner if you lift foot off throttle, ofcourse only when its safe.
Try engine braking when coasting to a stop by
1. Either gently braking
2. Putting shifter in manual and engine braking - this is debatable if it will save fuel if any, instant mpg maxes out at 99.9 which is a limitation of display but I would assume fuel saved by engine braking would be very small.

Run 36 psi if that suits your style. Might be a bit choppy. I see my tires are probably at 33 now - need to top up.
See my advice to OP on city driving speeds.

OP, you've got to redline the damn car a few times to really break it in. Change the oil before 5k miles to rid of all the break in metals. Then afterwards you'll experience better mpgs. Trust me. I'm a doctor.

Disclaimer: I'm not a "Licensed" Doctor.

Seems about right for city driving on a brand new engine w/ AWD

Need to give it some time. My car was low for the first thousand miles or so (look at fuelly logs). Also, don't baby the throttle to get up to speed but rather use it to get up to speed fast and than treat the throttle like it's an egg. Also get off the gas and brakes when coming to a red light. Drive by your instant milage. All these things can help.

Sounds about right. I have the same miles on my car, and during city driving it's around 21-22. highway is much better, like 35

I'm getting 28 in short-trip 'city' driving, and 30ish at proper highway speeds.

90 mph is not proper. Neither is 80.

Thanks everyone for the advise. As it is my first new car, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Either way, I'm very happy to have joined the CX-5 club :)

I am pretty consistent 28MPG +/- .5mpg as well.

Those numbers seem low given that your car has a city number of 24 MPG. Course, depending on the part of the Bay Area, the highway can be worse than the city.

My 2015 barely budges from around 28 MPG. I've gotten it to 30 a couple of times and hit 25 on occasion but 28 MPG it is. Of course, YMMV, as I knew a guy who claimed he got 35 MPG. He had a 100 mile commute, one-way, and the only way I could figure is that it was wind-aided both ways, or one-way and neutral, which might have been possible given his commute.

Hope the VW guys didn't find new jobs.

Need to give it some time. My car was low for the first thousand miles or so (look at fuelly logs). Also, don't baby the throttle to get up to speed but rather use it to get up to speed fast and than treat the throttle like it's an egg. Also get off the gas and brakes when coming to a red light. Drive by your instant milage. All these things can help.

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but this one made me feel better about what I was seeing on my new-to-me 2014. Seeing ~21.5 city and thought to myself "Hey, I thought this was supposed to get 24 city." However, looking at instantaneous mileage, I can see hwy mileage is really very good.

It's still early times for me, but I found your (bolded by me) statement to really be a big factor. I was looking at the instantaneous readout and trying to baby the throttle to get up to speed and found that all I did was get poor mileage for a longer time because I was getting up to speed so slowly. If you ignore it and speed up normally, you can quickly get to your cruising mode where all your mileage gains are.

But even if city isn't as advertised for me, it's still better than the best mixed mileage I got on my old BMW. And I don't have to buy premium fuel anymore.

I practically do all city all the time in Atlanta and I'm averaging about 22ish mpg. I took a trip to the airport at night and I was posting almost 28 ish.

I'm getting about 9.7L/100km - 10.3L/100km city in my new 2017 (that's about 23- 24 MPG for you imperial folks). Just about to pass the break in of 2000 km, and my fuel mileage is getting marginally better for sure. If you baby the throttle at cruise speeds, and properly break in the motor, you should be able to hit the 24 - 25 MPG mark I'd say in the city.

On the highway it was around 30 MPG, but I seen the readout as good as 36 MPG on flatter/downhill terrain (lots of hills here). Highway mileage is definitely best between 90 - 97 km/h (55 - 60 MPH) from what I can tell, once you break into the 105+ km/h club it starts to sip fuel a little faster. Not used to that yet, as my last car was an 8 speed, and I actually got better mileage at 110 - 115 than at 100 or below because the car would shift into 8th at that point and stay there more reliably. Hahaha.

This is all going by the dash computer readout I should add.

Last edited:
Back