2017 CX-5 owners with LED fogs .... how bright and effective are they ?

Also my PRC drls have been going strong... at least 2.5 years. 75k miles

I have the 2017 CX-5 Sport AWD ... so I don't have the fancy DRL or LED fogs ...
IMO the LED fogs while functional are more for looks IMO for the CX-5.

I live in San Francisco (Fog city ) and when FOG gets so bad that
I can't see 20 feet down the road then LED fogs won't do you much good...

Just slow down...
( this coming from a guy who traded a 2015 WRX for the CX-5 )

Slow and steady through the fog 😀

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

if you don't mind can you post some night picture or nighttime driving video with and without foglights ...

just curious to see how the 2017 lights are at night..... thanks very much.....

One thing to keep in mind is that most videos of illumination really suck for actually conveying the amount of illumination present. Here is an example. I was using a 500 lumen light that lit up the world, including those 75-100m targets you can't even begin to see in the video. Here, it looks like you probably think a mini mag-light looks like, lol!

Unrelated video showcasing illumination sucking in videos:

I have the 2017 CX-5 Sport AWD ... so I don't have the fancy DRL or LED fogs ...

Just slow down...

My friend has a WRX, the headlights were absolutely worthless. He had to upgrade for safety reasons, in his words. He rode in my CX5 with just the stock halogen? lights and felt it was MUCH brighter.

Just slow down...
Just add auxiliary lights if possible in your state.
One thing to keep in mind is that most videos of illumination really suck for actually conveying the amount of illumination present. Here is an example. I was using a 500 lumen light that lit up the world, including those 75-100m targets you can't even begin to see in the video. Here, it looks like you probably think a mini mag-light looks like, lol!

Unrelated video showcasing illumination sucking in videos:
Not to mention the algorithms involve in the camera processing.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

My friend has a WRX, the headlights were absolutely worthless. He had to upgrade for safety reasons, in his words. He rode in my CX5 with just the stock halogen? lights and felt it was MUCH brighter.

I was running H9 bulbs are low beam on my 2015 WRX
so basically high beam output on LOW beam cut off plus fogs
when I drive home from work...
total light output from my 2015 is like a day late and a dollar short compare to
the standard LED Low beam on the 2017 CX-5...

I will never go back to Halogen low beams for safety reasons.

On my 2014 Mazda 3 I swapped the oem HID bulb to the osram cbi which I thought was a great improvement over stock. Now with the LED headlights on this car, the output is much brighter, and whiter. I do like the pure white look too. Output is bright and goes pretty far down the road.

These LEDs are more than likely an evolution on the previous models :)

To be honest I am not impressed with my Fog or low beam lights. Looking for a way to install powerful LED fog lights to run 100% of the time.

Actual fog lights are supposed to light up the fog line and the center line. A lot of lights were called fog lights but were not mounted nor used properly.

Mazda’s led fogs are okay, maybe a bit on the dim side. They do work in actual fog but it’s subtle. They do provide extra visibility for oncoming drivers. I use them in heavy rain and on rainy freeways for that purpose.

Took mine out last night (2018 GT) after dark to see how well they worked. Best headlights I've ever had. Consistent across the the width of the road. Could see and read signs much further up the road than I'm used to.

The headlights were a big reason I went GT. I think they're incredible. No issue with the fogs either. They do what they're supposed to.

I'm unimpressed with both the Xeons on my last cx-5, and the led headlights on my present car, cut off is too low IMO, restricting night driving on low beam to 45mph, no problem with the main beams. My Xeons in the 2009 Xtrail were very impressive.

I'm unsure about the led spots I have, they don't impress to be honest on the odd times I've used them.

I agree, thats is why I am looking for effective fog lights to add to cover that dead cut off point.

Unfortunately for me, I have a light cataract on my left eye so I'll be adding focused beam LED lights. I intend to plug it to the lighter socket to avoid warranty issues.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

just an fyi, i was born with a congenital cataract in my right eye. i had it removed a couple years ago (I was 29 at the time) and insurance paid for the whole thing. tbh it didn't do much--my vision is still not good in that eye and i'm still sensitive to the sunlight, but i'm able to wear glasses and my vision gets much better in that eye. thankfully my left eye is 20/20 so i don't need to wear glasses, but it helps a lot when I'm reading because they put a static distance lens in my eye.

The fogs aren't bright Per Se, but when I've been you know...in fog, they work awesome!

Back