2017 CX-5 owners with LED fogs .... how bright and effective are they ?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT
if you don't mind can you post some night picture or nighttime driving video with and without foglights ...

just curious to see how the 2017 lights are at night..... thanks very much.....

I found a video on youtube, but it looks like an overseas Cx-5 since driver is on right hand side and I see a CD player above center vents.....

my gosh, look at the cutoff and super long distance illumination in the first 15 seconds of video,
do they have a different LED system overseas ? ie. ALH (Adaptive LED Headlamps)

that's one of the nicest and brightest OEM lights I've seen so far.....

Last edited:
Have a look at this post in 2017 pics thread. Shows leds on at night time without fogs:

qcNOik0.jpg

VB2ksl6.jpg

yUBA7GV.jpg

ATnDfwu.jpg

Credit to user ThePineappleNin!

Last edited:
Here's a video showing led lights, led fog lights and led turn signals on mirrors at night posted in another thread:

The turn light is plenty bright. The LED in the thing is bright as heck.

PS. I absolutely love the design.
Credit to user Kellic!

The lights have a different shape but I'm betting the internals of the headlights and the fogs are the same as the 16. Here's the thing and I have no doubt it's the same for 17: the LED headlights are a huge improvement. The LED fogs? They work as well as fogs on any car. It's going to be hard for anyone to really tell if they are much better because the headlights make such a difference.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Here's a video showing led lights, led fog lights and led turn signals on mirrors at night posted in another thread:

Credit to user Kellic!

Thx, first time I've seen the front turn signals at night,

Strange to see the turn signal in center by the grills,

Definitely unique but seems harder for adjacent lane drivers to see or even head on drivers at intersections when turning,

anyway I've see this before on other cars, so no worries, I guess mazda just wanted to do something different, I wonder if any new owner planning to add switchback LED turn signals there....

Last edited:
Thx, first time I've seen the front turn signals at night,

Strange to see the turn signal in center by the grills,

Definitely unique but seems harder for adjacent lane drivers to see or even had on drivers at intersections, anyway I've see this before on other cars, so no worries, I guess mazda just wanted to do something different, I if any new owner planning to add switchback LED turn signals there....

No worries.

New CX-9 is the same (turn signals next to grill)

I have a 16.5.

Properly aimed, the fog lights extend further out to the sides, and add a visible amount of brighter light ahead of the car.

The lights have a different shape but I'm betting the internals of the headlights and the fogs are the same as the 16. Here's the thing and I have no doubt it's the same for 17: the LED headlights are a huge improvement. The LED fogs? They work as well as fogs on any car. It's going to be hard for anyone to really tell if they are much better because the headlights make such a difference.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Actually I've read they have improved the ALH version of LED headlights. It should now have 12 seperate LEDs for highbeam on each side (I think it was 4 on the previous CX-5) plus the side LEDs widening the light for slow driving (under 40 km/h) which is also on the old CX-5 with ALH.
The fogs are likely the same.....aand if they're the same as on my CX-3, they are useless.

Actually I've read they have improved the ALH version of LED headlights. It should now have 12 seperate LEDs for highbeam on each side (I think it was 4 on the previous CX-5) plus the side LEDs widening the light for slow driving (under 40 km/h) which is also on the old CX-5 with ALH.
The fogs are likely the same.....aand if they're the same as on my CX-3, they are useless.

From Aussie brochure:

ADAPTIVE LED HEADLAMPS (ALH)
Individual control of several LEDs allows precise adjustment of the lighting pattern. The system automatically broadens visibility at low speeds, shapes the high beam to help avoid dazzling other drivers and raises beam height at highway speeds to extend vision area.

I'm unimpressed with both the Xeons on my last cx-5, and the led headlights on my present car, cut off is too low IMO, restricting night driving on low beam to 45mph, no problem with the main beams. My Xeons in the 2009 Xtrail were very impressive.

I'm unsure about the led spots I have, they don't impress to be honest on the odd times I've used them.

I'm unimpressed with both the Xeons on my last cx-5, and the led headlights on my present car, cut off is too low IMO, restricting night driving on low beam to 45mph, no problem with the main beams. My Xeons in the 2009 Xtrail were very impressive.

I'm unsure about the led spots I have, they don't impress to be honest on the odd times I've used them.

I've got stock LEDs on my Mazda6 and they are far better than any halogen lights I've owned. Never had a Xeon.

Looking forward to ALH :)

Halogen should be banned on safety grounds. (ugh)

Agreed. Give it time, LED will be on all cars. Atleast Mazda is having LED's on more and more of it's models.

CX-5 and CX-9 - across the range

6 - all but base model (4 models)

I read a test comparing the Xeon and LED lights, the LED's gave out no more light.
The real advantage is the ability to select led arrays individually, and hopefully longer life, while giving reduced power consumption, so less work for the alternator to doo.

Yes but I wish they would convert all the lights to leds, not just those that we notice the most, perhaps the 2017 is fully led?

Agreed. Give it time, LED will be on all cars. Atleast Mazda is having LED's on more and more of it's models.

CX-5 and CX-9 - across the range

6 - all but base model (4 models)

Back