VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas

Thread: Wtb: forged rods/pistons, split second afc(msp)

2003.5 MSP

Wtb: forged rods/pistons, split second afc(msp)

Looking for forged rods and pistons (k1 preferred ) and a split second afc, v1 or v2.. not looking to spend a ton.. just want these more for reliability in the engine since these things are like toothpicks.
    Looking for fsde msp stuff
    Thanks
    Last edited by dstmsp03; 04-20-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

Just a heads up, with a forged motor you can run more boost and you won't need the piggyback AFC.
    Mod List. "Jinba Ittai"

2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1345 Purchased 7/20/10
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1574 Purchased 10/25/14

2009 Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #5998 12.9@110
    2002 Red Protege5 RIP:4/25/10

mazdaspeed protoge 03.5

Sorry to thread jack, but Hornsfan are you saying with forged internals and increased boost the car kinda corrects its rich/lean (I can't remember which way our MSP goes) problem?
    2003.5 Yellow MSP W/ Black Wheels / Custom FMIC / Greddy BOV / Relocated MAF / 12k HID kit / Ignited push button start / 2.50" J-pipe back straight exhaust / Complete LED bulb replacement / Autometer Pro-comp Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges

2003.5 MSP

that's 100% inaccurate!!
    I am not new to the mazdaspeed.. I have had mine since 06.. it has 60K miles on it.. the factory tune is pig rich to help the crap toothpick rods.. mazda slapped this motor together without enough R&D to compete with dodge and Mitsubishi. you can run increased boost on stock tune with upgraded internals yes.. but forged internals in no way corrects the crappy stock fuel trim.. to really run this car safely with a decent amount of boost.. 12-15 psi.. you need some sort of air fuel management... along with the forged internals. some people are running over 10 psi on stock internals.. however.. and ive said this many times. that car is a ticking bomb if they continue.. since the factory wastegate actuator can fail so easily and cause a boost spike.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $20

'93 RX-7, '91 RX7, '03.5 MSP, '02 P5, '01 Miata, '99 Miata etc

Stock internals, not a stock wastegate or turbo.

If you're going to spend all that money on building up the engine, why not spring for a haltech or something? Disco potato it.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

Quote Originally Posted by dstmsp03 View Post
    that's 100% inaccurate!!
    I am not new to the mazdaspeed.. I have had mine since 06.. it has 60K miles on it.. the factory tune is pig rich to help the crap toothpick rods.. mazda slapped this motor together without enough R&D to compete with dodge and Mitsubishi. you can run increased boost on stock tune with upgraded internals yes.. but forged internals in no way corrects the crappy stock fuel trim.. to really run this car safely with a decent amount of boost.. 12-15 psi.. you need some sort of air fuel management... along with the forged internals. some people are running over 10 psi on stock internals.. however.. and ive said this many times. that car is a ticking bomb if they continue.. since the factory wastegate actuator can fail so easily and cause a boost spike.
    The forged internals don't do anything to change the tune, but increasing the boost leans out the AFRs, which negates the need for a tune.

I have a forged engine running 16-18psi and the AFRs are around 11.5-12 in boost which is still a bit rich but safe for the old ECU in these cars. I know what I am talking about, it is in no way inaccurate.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.