Eibach ProKit, bad ride quality. Any idea why?

RensoreK

:
Mazda Protege 5 (2003)
I recently installed new struts, boots, and Eibach Springs. I love the way my protege5 sits now but the rear seems overly "soft". The ride is bouncy in my opinion and others feel the same when they ride with me. My bump stops were destroyed so I bought KYB boots+bump for the front and moog for the rears (kyb wasn't available). Nothing was cut since the instructions didn't say to and Eibach apparently doesn't recommend it. Also I might have installed the bumps upside down (not sure if it makes a difference but flat part towards the flat part of the shock). Anyone else on Eibach feel the ride is pretty bad versus OEM? I'm on 205/45/16 tire...

What shocks did you install? No point installing Eibach springs with cheap shocks.

I'm curious what struts you installed, too.

My Eibachs were great on my MSP.

Removed some crappy Stagg and went to KYB Excel (black), I know they aren't tokico or anything high end but I had them on stock springs and felt pretty nice. The Eibach have been on for about a month, so about 500+ miles.

Did you get the specific P5 Eibach springs or Protege sedan springs? The P5 rear springs have a higher spring rate, due to having a much heavier rear end.

Removed some crappy Stagg and went to KYB Excel (black), I know they aren't tokico or anything high end but I had them on stock springs and felt pretty nice. The Eibach have been on for about a month, so about 500+ miles.

Exact spring and struts as my P5 then. And I don't have any 'bouncy' or 'soft' feeling in the rear. It's so much better than the stock set up.

BTW, my stock struts (front and rear) were Tokico branded and black. They are the original struts from brand new as I know the full history of my car. Struts have never been changed since new. I've read on here that the OEM shocks were made by KYB. Strange.

Did you get the specific P5 Eibach springs or Protege sedan springs? The P5 rear springs have a higher spring rate, due to having a much heavier rear end.
I think you might be onto it!

The ProKit is 5541.140 which I believe is the P5 version. Does the orientation of the bump stops matter? Since it will compress at the softest point anyway I assume. I installed them with the smaller taper side up, larger diameter towards the bottom. The original ones disintegrated so I'm not sure how they were lol.

Yes that is the correct P5 spring kit, the bump stops won't affect the ride unless the springs/struts are completely bottomed out. You should not be riding on the bump stops.

I recently installed new struts, boots, and Eibach Springs. I love the way my protege5 sits now but the rear seems overly "soft". The ride is bouncy in my opinion and others feel the same when they ride with me. My bump stops were destroyed so I bought KYB boots+bump for the front and moog for the rears (kyb wasn't available). Nothing was cut since the instructions didn't say to and Eibach apparently doesn't recommend it. Also I might have installed the bumps upside down (not sure if it makes a difference but flat part towards the flat part of the shock). Anyone else on Eibach feel the ride is pretty bad versus OEM? I'm on 205/45/16 tire...

Turns out the Moog Strut Boot Kit has a slightly longer bump stop in the rear and it was providing minimal strut travel. I removed about 1" of it from the rears and there was a 50-60% improvement. Now it's actually driveable. I will try trimming the front 0.5" (KYB) to see if I can also get a bit more travel in the front.

Back