'17 glass on prior year cars?

yugrus

Contributor
:
CX-5 GT
I know it is a long stretch, but would '17 windshield glass fit my wife's '15 GT with tech pack? Dimensions and sensors, are they different?
Darn glass has the crack like many here got. '17 is thicker with better acoustics...

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

I've read the A pillars are smaller on the 17, so doubtful.

I knew my luck... Mazda Canada does not admit the problem of high pre-load tension on thin windshield. I'm losing the fight with them very fast...

I know it is a long stretch, but would '17 windshield glass fit my wife's '15 GT with tech pack? Dimensions and sensors, are they different?
Darn glass has the crack like many here got. '17 is thicker with better acoustics...

Might not make that much of a difference as on the 17 model the front drivers & passenger windows have also been changed to dual glass acoustic.

It's a combination of this plus all the other measures they have taken to make it quieter.

From what I can tell so far, the engine, transmission, and frame are basically the same as previous years.
Everything else is different.
So far, my trailer hitch is all I have been able to transfer from my 2014 to my 2017. But the factory wiring harness was different. All sheet metal, lights, glass, and interior parts, as well as the accessories are different as far as I can tell.

I think the shark fin, rear wiper arm, and the commander knob may be carried over from the 2016.

I knew my luck... Mazda Canada does not admit the problem of high pre-load tension on thin windshield. I'm losing the fight with them very fast...

I had a loaner 2016.5 cx5 for 2 weeks. One rock hit the windshield and caused a 12" crack so now my insurance has to replace it. I've driven my subaru in this area for the past 5 years and received multiple rock hits and not a single crack occurred.

I'm upping my insurance coverage on my new cx5 because I'm sure the new glass with the HUD will be even more expensive to replace. :(

I'm sure the new glass with the HUD will be even more expensive to replace. :(

HUD is projected onto the glass and the HUD mechanics are on the dashboard. Didn't know a special type of glass was needed. Is this the case?

Put the car against '17 on the dealer's lot. I don't think it's gonna fit. '17 is just glued on, mine has weatherstripping around the edge. And it is more flat in general then mine.
I wasn't after the soundproofing as much as for the thickness. I'm sure '17+ will handle rock impacts much better.

Put the car against '17 on the dealer's lot. I don't think it's gonna fit. '17 is just glued on, mine has weatherstripping around the edge. And it is more flat in general then mine.
I wasn't after the soundproofing as much as for the thickness. I'm sure '17+ will handle rock impacts much better.

Correct. Whole roofline has been changed as well as slope of windscreen

From what I can tell so far, the engine, transmission, and frame are basically the same as previous years.
Everything else is different.
So far, my trailer hitch is all I have been able to transfer from my 2014 to my 2017. But the factory wiring harness was different. All sheet metal, lights, glass, and interior parts, as well as the accessories are different as far as I can tell.

I think the shark fin, rear wiper arm, and the commander knob may be carried over from the 2016.

Being a unibody chassis, the frame is the body and so it's different too. Probably has similarities here and there, but no doubt important differences...

Definitely not interchangeable due to A-pillar been moved backward and sensor locations on windshield look different too. For $666.25 on OEM windshield on 2016 GT with Tech, and no aftermarket one is available yet, it's expensive to replace it. The windshield of our 2016 GT with Tech cracked during a hail storm last year. Since none of the other vehicles parked nearby suffered broken windshield, I can't help but wondering about the weak CX-5 windshield! When I went to my dealer getting the windshield, the parts guy told me I was lucky the windshield is not on back-order. He said 2014 CX-5 windshield had been back-ordered for a year in early days until the aftermarket ones are available!

Number of complaints on weak CX-5 windshield from NHTSA data seems to support the weak windshield theory on CX-5 too.

Mazda have made the 2017 screen thicker now.

I had a loaner 2016.5 cx5 for 2 weeks. One rock hit the windshield and caused a 12" crack so now my insurance has to replace it. I've driven my subaru in this area for the past 5 years and received multiple rock hits and not a single crack occurred.

I'm upping my insurance coverage on my new cx5 because I'm sure the new glass with the HUD will be even more expensive to replace. :(

Back