Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: '17 glass on prior year cars?

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

CX-5 GT

'17 glass on prior year cars?

I know it is a long stretch, but would '17 windshield glass fit my wife's '15 GT with tech pack? Dimensions and sensors, are they different?
    Darn glass has the crack like many here got. '17 is thicker with better acoustics...

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

I've read the A pillars are smaller on the 17, so doubtful.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

I knew my luck... Mazda Canada does not admit the problem of high pre-load tension on thin windshield. I'm losing the fight with them very fast...

Registered Member ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post
    I've read the A pillars are smaller on the 17, so doubtful.
    Yep, that would be my guess as well.

2015 Mazda6 Touring Sonic Silver Sedan 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by yugrus View Post
    I know it is a long stretch, but would '17 windshield glass fit my wife's '15 GT with tech pack? Dimensions and sensors, are they different?
    Darn glass has the crack like many here got. '17 is thicker with better acoustics...

Might not make that much of a difference as on the 17 model the front drivers & passenger windows have also been changed to dual glass acoustic.

It's a combination of this plus all the other measures they have taken to make it quieter.

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

From what I can tell so far, the engine, transmission, and frame are basically the same as previous years.
    Everything else is different.
    So far, my trailer hitch is all I have been able to transfer from my 2014 to my 2017. But the factory wiring harness was different. All sheet metal, lights, glass, and interior parts, as well as the accessories are different as far as I can tell.

I think the shark fin, rear wiper arm, and the commander knob may be carried over from the 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
    From what I can tell so far, the engine, transmission, and frame are basically the same as previous years.
    A pillars have been moved back and thinned a bit

Registered Member

2017 Red GT CX-5

I knew my luck... Mazda Canada does not admit the problem of high pre-load tension on thin windshield. I'm losing the fight with them very fast...

I had a loaner 2016.5 cx5 for 2 weeks. One rock hit the windshield and caused a 12" crack so now my insurance has to replace it. I've driven my subaru in this area for the past 5 years and received multiple rock hits and not a single crack occurred.

I'm upping my insurance coverage on my new cx5 because I'm sure the new glass with the HUD will be even more expensive to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by NervouZ View Post
    I'm sure the new glass with the HUD will be even more expensive to replace.
    HUD is projected onto the glass and the HUD mechanics are on the dashboard. Didn't know a special type of glass was needed. Is this the case?

Registered Member

CX-5 GT

Put the car against '17 on the dealer's lot. I don't think it's gonna fit. '17 is just glued on, mine has weatherstripping around the edge. And it is more flat in general then mine.
    I wasn't after the soundproofing as much as for the thickness. I'm sure '17+ will handle rock impacts much better.

Put the car against '17 on the dealer's lot. I don't think it's gonna fit. '17 is just glued on, mine has weatherstripping around the edge. And it is more flat in general then mine.
    I wasn't after the soundproofing as much as for the thickness. I'm sure '17+ will handle rock impacts much better.

Correct. Whole roofline has been changed as well as slope of windscreen

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
    Everything else is different.
    So far, my trailer hitch is all I have been able to transfer from my 2014 to my 2017. But the factory wiring harness was different. All sheet metal, lights, glass, and interior parts, as well as the accessories are different as far as I can tell.

I think the shark fin, rear wiper arm, and the commander knob may be carried over from the 2016.
    Being a unibody chassis, the frame is the body and so it's different too. Probably has similarities here and there, but no doubt important differences...

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow '17 glass on prior year cars?

Definitely not interchangeable due to A-pillar been moved backward and sensor locations on windshield look different too. For $666.25 on OEM windshield on 2016 GT with Tech, and no aftermarket one is available yet, it's expensive to replace it. The windshield of our 2016 GT with Tech cracked during a hail storm last year. Since none of the other vehicles parked nearby suffered broken windshield, I can't help but wondering about the weak CX-5 windshield! When I went to my dealer getting the windshield, the parts guy told me I was lucky the windshield is not on back-order. He said 2014 CX-5 windshield had been back-ordered for a year in early days until the aftermarket ones are available!

Number of complaints on weak CX-5 windshield from NHTSA data seems to support the weak windshield theory on CX-5 too.

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

Mazda have made the 2017 screen thicker now.

Quote Originally Posted by NervouZ View Post
    I had a loaner 2016.5 cx5 for 2 weeks. One rock hit the windshield and caused a 12" crack so now my insurance has to replace it. I've driven my subaru in this area for the past 5 years and received multiple rock hits and not a single crack occurred.

I'm upping my insurance coverage on my new cx5 because I'm sure the new glass with the HUD will be even more expensive to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post
    Mazda have made the 2017 screen thicker now.
    Plus double glazed front side windows