Interesting article Mazda vs Volvo

Yes interesting article...one of the arguments was whether a premium buyer/owner would cross shop a mainstream brand - while maybe most wouldn't but I actually was one having owned a Volvo XC60 for 7 yrs. When I shopped for a replacement late last year, I looked at another Volvo, Lexus NX & RX, Acura MDX and also considered Toyota Highlander & Honda Pilot as well as the Mazda CX9.

In terms of design, tech & safety features as well as the value for money I couldn't pass up the Mazda vs the other premium models which would cost me $10-15K more easily. While there were no issues with the Volvo I had other than the outdated safety features, technology and design I just couldn't justify paying $10-15K more for the same if not better features on the CX9. I agree that the gap between the luxury and mainstream brands are now getting closer and closer but this is in no way to degrade the premium brands out there.

Yes interesting article...one of the arguments was whether a premium buyer/owner would cross shop a mainstream brand - while maybe most wouldn't but I actually was one having owned a Volvo XC60 for 7 yrs. When I shopped for a replacement late last year, I looked at another Volvo, Lexus NX & RX, Acura MDX and also considered Toyota Highlander & Honda Pilot as well as the Mazda CX9.

In terms of design, tech & safety features as well as the value for money I couldn't pass up the Mazda vs the other premium models which would cost me $10-15K more easily. While there were no issues with the Volvo I had other than the outdated safety features, technology and design I just couldn't justify paying $10-15K more for the same if not better features on the CX9. I agree that the gap between the luxury and mainstream brands are now getting closer and closer but this is in no way to degrade the premium brands out there.

I don't think many would cross-shop Mazda without brand exposure. With it, sure, the new 2017 is starting to have decent features, and for the price is a good deal. It's not a premium vehicle yet, but it's trying. Without exposure, I'd bet Volvo, Merc. BMW, etc. are what they are looking at. Not Ford, Mazda, GMC.

Boy, that sounds like a plug written by Mazda themselves!

The Volvo makes 300 HP is interesting.

Performance

0-60 mph, 7.6 seconds

(Car and Driver est.)

Wow I thought CX5 was much slower. 7.6 is same as CR-V Lelolel with all that turbo stuff.

Back in 2013 I test drove the xc-60, bmw x3, crv, santa fe, and still bought the cx-5 for it's all round package that met my requirements.

Thought I wanted a Volvo 60, MDX, or even the Lexus, but after some research and seeing for myself, I can't justify paying 40% to even double for the luxury brands. The CX-5 and money in the bank wins out, easily, although I am one that craves a turbo version.

Thought I wanted a Volvo 60, MDX, or even the Lexus, but after some research and seeing for myself, I can't justify paying 40% to even double for the luxury brands. The CX-5 and money in the bank wins out, easily, although I am one that craves a turbo version.
This is the main thing that is lacking from a premium CX-5, a more powerful engine.

Performance

0-60 mph, 7.6 seconds

(Car and Driver est.)

Wow I thought CX5 was much slower. 7.6 is same as CR-V Lelolel with all that turbo stuff.

It's only an estimate. This can go 2 ways:

1. Could actually be slower as weight has increased by up to 40kg (88 pounds)
  2. Maybe a bit faster due to Mazda tweaking gearbox and throttle for instaneous response and also holding the gears longer instead of short shifting

We won't know until actual tests are performed.

I have one.

But crave a petrol turbo, ironic isn't it, we don't even get the NA 2.5 offered.

I have one.

But crave a petrol turbo, ironic isn't it, we don't even get the NA 2.5 offered.

Don't think anywhere in Europe gets the 2.5. Happy to be corrected.

We get 2.0 petrol in bottom 2 models only, 2.5 petrol & 2.2 diesel from 2 model upwards.

[Maxx (base) -> Maxx Sport -> Touring -> GT -> Akera (top)]

Last edited:
The article is FACT. We could afford a more expensive car, but politically, it's to our advantage to have the Mazda. Still, friends with last years BMW, and with this year's Lexus (sorry don't know the models) were a bit miffed at how much more car we got for the money.

The article is FACT. We could afford a more expensive car, but politically, it's to our advantage to have the Mazda. Still, friends with last years BMW, and with this year's Lexus (sorry don't know the models) were a bit miffed at how much more car we got for the money.
That's what Mazda is trying to do. More features for this level of money.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

It's only an estimate. This can go 2 ways:

1. Could actually be slower as weight has increased by up to 40kg (88 pounds)
  2. Maybe a bit faster due to Mazda tweaking gearbox and throttle for instaneous response and also holding the gears longer instead of short shifting

We won't know until actual tests are performed.

The CX5 holds the gears until redline in each gear, anyway. What are you talking about? Also, throttle response has nothing to do with 0-60. There is a 1 foot roll-out in those 0-60 times. Reaction time has zip to do with 0-60. It has to do with racing, though. The gearing might better multiply torque though, and that could help. If they changed the gear ratios. Honestly, I think it will still be a driver's race with a 2014 2.5L.

The CX5 holds the gears until redline in each gear, anyway. What are you talking about? Also, throttle response has nothing to do with 0-60. There is a 1 foot roll-out in those 0-60 times. Reaction time has zip to do with 0-60. It has to do with racing, though. The gearing might better multiply torque though, and that could help. If they changed the gear ratios. Honestly, I think it will still be a driver's race with a 2014 2.5L.
My bad. I was referring to the changes made in part throttle. Was listening to Mazda engineer from USA.

Apparently throttle response is now one quarter of a millisecond compared to what it was before. This is one of the things they are harping on about now. The sooner the car reacts the quicker it gets moving.

Hope you are right about drivers race between older models and 2017 [emoji3]

How much weight are we talking exactly? I don't know how much as added. If it's <100#, it will be car-to-car variance that trumps it, still.
Here in Oz, 40kg or 88lbs

Back