vs Forester?

We have both a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring FWD and 2017 Forester XT Touring at our house, bought them both in the last 4 months. We bought the CX-5 in January for our son, the XT is my DD, bought it in March after the 2017 CX-5 press release. Both are great CUVs, and almost bought the 17 CX-5 instead of the XT for myself.

The things that caused me to buy the XT are powertrain (250hp), utility (easily accessible big square box loading), interior room (lots of it), visibility, and aftermarket mod support (vast). CX-5 wins on looks (inside & out), seating comfort, and value. Both are comfortable, well engineered vehicles that ride and handle well, with the CX-5 handling slightly better than the XT, but the XT's ride is a bit better than the CX-5. Handling on the XT was easily improved to equal or surpass the CX-5 with a swap to a larger rear anti-sway bar off of the WRX, which I've done. The interesting thing is I've hated CVT transmissions on Nissan and Hondas I've driven in the past. The CVT on the Subaru, working with the 2.0 Turbo flat four is a very nice combo. Smooth and powerful, with the rubber-banding effect almost totally eliminated.

The "one thing" that pushed me over the edge to the XT was the extra HP. The Mazda CX-5 needs the 2.5T engine out of the CX-9....bad!!! Sure, I understand that for most people the economy and HP out of the NA 2.5 CX-5 engine is enough, but for me it wasn't. I will say that if the XT had not been available with the more powerful engine I would have bought the CX-5, hands down.

Couldn't agree with you more re: cx-5 vs. forester.

How is the turbo lag on the XT? I've got the 2.5L turbo in an Outback XT Limited and while it's fast enough, the turbo lag is significant. In the CX-9, it's hardly noticeable. I would love to have the CX-9 engine in the CX-5, but I have a feeling that Mazda will prefer to keep that for the CX-9 unless Honda or Toyota up the ante by offering a performance engine in the CRV or RAV4. Personally, I'm waiting for the diesel.

It's there, but it's really not an issue as it's hardly noticeable. I haven't driven a 2.5T Subaru, but from what I've read the 2.0T is not as laggy (or as powerful) as the 2.5T.

This is what happens with subie awd even with a sport setup: you oversteer; and this is some big time os. Lower cg engine but higher and longer arm cg roof.

Nothing wrong with a lil oversteer unless you're going really fast on a mountain road into a corner and don't know how to handle it...oh no is right sucka. Turned off stability too no doubt..dummy

Last edited:
This is what happens with subie awd even with a sport setup: you oversteer; and this is some big time os. Lower cg engine but higher and longer arm cg roof.

I tried to find some footage of the Mazda Tribute failing to handle, but couldn't.

Noone drove those spiritedly, lol!

Back