Trying to buy 2016.5 CX5, and failing

All dealers cover warranty regardless where you bought the car. Dealer service centers are compensated by Mazda for warranty service.

Yep. I bought my CX-5 from a dealer about 25-30 miles away because they had the specific one I wanted... even though there's another Mazda dealership about 2-3 miles from me. But they were able to list the closer dealership as my primary one for maintenance purposes.

This is the conclusion I've come to. I've managed to communicate with several dealers now, they are all basically behaving the same way and it's clear they are unwilling to discuss price any further. It's kind of funny, they all are pretty much lockstep on their numbers and in the way they blow off certain questions and topics. I've decided to go with the closest dealer since it's also where I will be taking my CX5 for warranty service. I could get one a bit cheaper, but it also involves travelling 70 miles so I'd rather save myself the hassle. Unless something changes, it looks like I will be buying a CX5 GT with AWD, both packages, and roof rails for around $30K (not including TT&L)
heed my advice and pm dude from your area. His dealer seems to want to do the same deal you are getting for $21-2400 less than you posted. I too am supposed to take delivery early next week on the same deal. Going 400 miles to make it happen, but turn its a mini vacay and a chance to break in the car while learning about the new ride. Good Luck...

heed my advice and pm dude from your area. His dealer seems to want to do the same deal you are getting for $21-2400 less than you posted. I too am supposed to take delivery early next week on the same deal. Going 400 miles to make it happen, but turn its a mini vacay and a chance to break in the car while learning about the new ride. Good Luck...

Thanks for that, I did contact him and he pointed me to both that dealer and another nearby offering slightly less great deals - unfortunately, neither dealer has anymore CX5s which meet my criteria. They have hardly any AWD, and the few they do have don't have both packages. I was totally ready to book a flight down there and jump on anything beating 15% below MSRP, really wish I could of gotten my search kicked off before inventory dropped down so much.

Had the same problem, emailed 3 dealers last week. One still hasn't quoted a price, the other raised her quote (was the wrong price on the website), the 3rd one sold me the car. He quoted a price within a half hour of the email. Two days and 7 emails later we settled on a price, picked the car up last night.

The car industry is stuck in the past... most dealers don't understand today's variety of customers and refuse to adapt. The whole industry needs a disruption.

Get a 2017... it's worth it!

I agree. You're spending $30K on a 2016 when you can get a loaded 2017 GT AWD for $3500 more at most. And it will be a brand new vehicle, with many improvements, built in the past month or two, not sitting on a lot for 1.5 years and getting bird crap all over it and how many times has it been washed and dried with gritty rags. Maybe you are getting white or silver, but if I was getting any other color, I would sure check the paint out closely.

Get a 2017... it's worth it!

I agree. You're spending $30K on a 2016 when you can get a loaded 2017 GT AWD for $3500 more at most. And it will be a brand new vehicle, with many improvements, built in the past month or two, not sitting on a lot for 1.5 years and getting bird crap all over it and how many times has it been washed and dried with gritty rags. Maybe you are getting white or silver, but if I was getting any other color, I would sure check the paint out closely.

Lol. That 2017 has been washed several times by now too. It's on a dealers lot. Period. Look it over no matter what it is...

Who's paying $30k for a 16 GT? Not I, and even if I was, I wouldn't take a 17 if it was given to me for the same price as a 16. Or, I guess I could get a personalized tag that says "Pinochio" because it would match that hideous nose perfectly...

Lol. That 2017 has been washed several times by now too. It's on a dealers lot. Period. Look it over no matter what it is...

Who's paying $30k for a 16 GT? Not I, and even if I was, I wouldn't take a 17 if it was given to me for the same price as a 16. Or, I guess I could get a personalized tag that says "Pinochio" because it would match that hideous nose perfectly...

Uh, ok. Have a great day.

That is hilarious and I totally agree!

No, the 2016's have not been sitting on the lots for 1.5 years. I bet you could not find one that has been sitting even 6 mos...
(boom06)

8251eaf04046387200489c42884b0ecb.jpg

Last edited:
, I wouldn't take a 17 if it was given to me for the same price as a 16. Or, I guess I could get a personalized tag that says "Pinochio" because it would match that hideous nose perfectly...

That is ridiculous. 2017 is a much better car. Much better. I'd love to do business with someone who would take a a year old car for the same price as a new one....

That is ridiculous. 2017 is a much better car. Much better. I'd love to do business with someone who would take a a year old car for the same price as a new one....

And, I'd love to do business right now with someone that would pay $30k for a 16 GT. Even better, find me a 16.5 that's "been sitting on the lot for 1.5 years and still brand new, and I'll buy it and give it away..."
Fine, you win, I'd take it and sell it the next day to one of yous guys on here, but I'm not interested in owning one at all...

Last edited:
I was certainly not trying to agitate any owners who recently purchased a 2016. I owned a 2014 and loved it. Just saying that the price difference in the 16 and 17 does not seem like that much for a new model that has been improved in so many areas I don't even want to list them and the selling price hardly changed at all.

The original poster on this thread bought their AWD GT 2016 with packages for $29,700 according to their comment on the "current selling price" thread.

Someone else on that thread bought the same AWD GT 2017 with packages for $32,500. They both seem happy, so that is all that really matters.

I was certainly not trying to agitate any owners who recently purchased a 2016. I owned a 2014 and loved it. Just saying that the price difference in the 16 and 17 does not seem like that much for a new model that has been improved in so many areas I don't even want to list them and the selling price hardly changed at all.

The original poster on this thread bought their AWD GT 2016 with packages for $29,700 according to their comment on the "current selling price" thread.

Someone else on that thread bought the same AWD GT 2017 with packages for $32,500. They both seem happy, so that is all that really matters.

I agree, whatever makes us happy.

I never said the 17 wasn't even the "better car". HUD, the interior upgrades, ride and quietness, hell, I would love those, but it's a $5k, almost 20% price diff for me, and for a car I'll never like the looks of, no thanks, can't do it.

The latest and greatest isn't always the bestest to all...

Last edited:
I've given the 2017 model a lot of thought, for various reasons the 2016.5 makes more sense for me. I agree the 2017 is mostly an improvement, but in a few key ways it isn't, and the improvements weren't significant enough to sway me over to spending a few thousand more. That said, once the diesels have been out a few years I may be getting a new CX5. I drive a lot and having a car with a 600+ mile range holds a lot of appeal.

I agree, whatever makes us happy.

I never said the 17 wasn't even the "better car". HUD, the interior upgrades, ride and quietness, hell, I would love those, but it's a $5k, almost 20% price diff for me, and for a car I'll never like the looks of, no thanks, can't do it.

The latest and greatest isn't always the bestest to all...

That's basically my thinking on this. I would love to have the HUD, and g-vectoring, I wouldn't mind a slightly more quiet cabin. Just not at the cost of $5k more and less ground clearance and worse approach angle and a vehicle that I originally found bordering on ugly (its grown on me a lot since my initial reaction, but the front end is just oddly proportioned).

I've given the 2017 model a lot of thought, for various reasons the 2016.5 makes more sense for me. I agree the 2017 is mostly an improvement, but in a few key ways it isn't, and the improvements weren't significant enough to sway me over to spending a few thousand more. That said, once the diesels have been out a few years I may be getting a new CX5. I drive a lot and having a car with a 600+ mile range holds a lot of appeal.

I feel the same way. The upgrades for 2017 aren't that significant, and some of the extra chrome looks like it is trying too hard and likely to wear worse. I like the look of the newer model, but don't care for extra attention or the higher price. I just received an offer for $4800 off MSRP of a 16.5 GT AWD. This particular dealer just received the 17s in a couple days ago and was less willing to deal on the newer model. After test driving back to back, the difference wasn't that much. I'm thinking I will keep the extra cash and the older model. Like buying used from a price standpoint with a first year depreciation hit but maintaining time and mileage on my warranty as new. This should hold me over until there are self-driving electric cars for overnight transportation while I sleep.

Back