Trying to buy 2016.5 CX5, and failing

vessel

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/i-ActiveSense
Hey friends,

I'm trying to purchase a 2016.5 CX5 before stock runs out, I'm hoping you guys have advice. My problem is, for whatever reason the Mazda dealers I've been contacting are seemingly uninterested in selling me a vehicle. Compared to my last experience purchasing a new vehicle I am extremely surprised at how things are going so far. I still get random emails from dealers trying to sell me a Volkswagen 7 years later. Yet getting even a reply for a request for a price quote from a Mazda dealer is a struggle. When they do reply to inquiries it's like they didn't read my initial request, or they tell me they have to "check their inventory" but then don't get back to me until I check in and then they don't tell me anything except "come visit our dealership". Is this normal for Mazda dealers? Is there some trick besides telling them what I want to buy and when I want to buy it? Most dealers are a ways away so visiting in person isn't really feasible and seems pointless since I already know exactly what I want and find being subjected to dealer sales tactics extremely obnoxious. I just want to buy a CX5, what do I have to do to get a dealer to deal with me?

Do you know that you can check Mazda dealers' inventory online?
Go to MazdaUSA.com

Thanks, I did know. I'm not sure how reliable the results are though. Dealers have so far claimed to not have vehicles in stock when I ask them about specific ones the Mazda website claims they have. It's part of why I'm getting so frustrated with this process. I guess I'm starting to understand why so few Mazdas are sold in the US.

also, most insurance companies have a car buying service and will rely on "truecar" to get the 'fair" price. If you send them the vehicle info, stock#, VIN, and dealer, they will contact the dealer to verfiy the vehicle is availble for sale and get you the "truecar" price. That might make the dealer notice that someone is interested in buying that particular vehicle.

Another thing preventing the sales of the 2016.5 is the hold-back, but I'm not sure why a dealer would want to hand onto a 2016.5 when the 2017s are arriving and sitting next to the '16.5s. What's in it for the dealer? is the big question. Maybe catch them at the end of the month...or go for a dealer out of state. g/l.

A friend just bought a Mazda and this was not her experience. Immediate reply via email. Bought a 3 that night.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chill! Its a cuv you have more options than organic egg brands.
First rule is dont sound desperate.
Email many...but be vague. If you put specifics most won't reply well.
Always mention buying in a week add Rogue/CR-V/ Rav4 as other cars you are looking.
Honestly 17 is a big step up. So not all is lost if you miss 16.5

Trying to buy a car without visiting the dealership? In that case you should try to reach the online sales department...if they have one.

One thing to understand is that dealers get tons of emails every day that are leads (customer inquiries) that go absolutely nowhere. A lot of dealers I talk to say they get so many that most either don't get responded to or they just spend their time on people walking in the door. That's not to say it's the right way of doing it, but they aren't having much issue selling cars right now (at least where I live) so they focus on the money in the door and not the money sitting at a computer sending emails.

I've found the best way to do it is to call and speak with someone over the phone. Let them know your interest, that you're serious about buying, know what you want, and are just price shopping at this point to find the best deal. Once you get your foot in the door they're more interested in emailing I've found. I've purchased many a car this way (I think I'm up to car #25 or so).

Don't waste your time with TrueCar BTW. I've always been able to haggle a better deal without the use of that silly website.

One thing to understand is that dealers get tons of emails every day that are leads (customer inquiries) that go absolutely nowhere. A lot of dealers I talk to say they get so many that most either don't get responded to or they just spend their time on people walking in the door. That's not to say it's the right way of doing it, but they aren't having much issue selling cars right now (at least where I live) so they focus on the money in the door and not the money sitting at a computer sending emails.

I've found the best way to do it is to call and speak with someone over the phone. Let them know your interest, that you're serious about buying, know what you want, and are just price shopping at this point to find the best deal. Once you get your foot in the door they're more interested in emailing I've found. I've purchased many a car this way (I think I'm up to car #25 or so).

Don't waste your time with TrueCar BTW. I've always been able to haggle a better deal without the use of that silly website.

I agree. Please act like you don't even know what TrueCar is, shh....

Share your locale. Asking because I have a dealer begging to sell exactly what you're looking for at 14% off MSRP right now, and another I think that is willing to even smash that...

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I understand the situation much better now. I guess the way car buying works these days has changed somewhat since I last bought one, or I just got lucky last time. I've got a few dealers communicating now, they aren't especially good at it but progress is being made. I'm being very direct about what I want, which is maybe the problem. I'm terrible at playing these weird games; I know exactly what I want, what a reasonable price is, and when I want to buy it. From my perspective that should communicate to the dealer that I'm an easy sale.

I have strongly considering going with a 2017 instead, but there are various aspects of it which I do not like. If buying a 2016.5 doesn't work out for me I will need to re-evaluate things but likely won't be buying a CX5.

Share your locale. Asking because I have a dealer begging to sell exactly what you're looking for at 14% off MSRP right now, and another I think that is willing to even smash that...

I'm in the Puget Sound area, looking to buy from basically anywhere in the state of Washington - preferably western WA but if I have to fly to another state for a good deal that's not too big of a deal.

I had the same problem tying to find a FWD CX-5 in Utah. Dealers did not want to order one for me. They insisted I needed AWD, told me they would make up the MPG savings in a discount (usually around $400 - that wouldn't cover lifetime MPG difference costs...). It was a pain! I ended up finding a car on Cars.com - in Colorado and having it shipped to me. One thing I don't like about the 2017 CX5, is the reduced ground clearance. Looks like it's down to 7.6" from 8.5".
If you want an AWD version, there are lots still here in Utah. Bountiful, UT just sent me an email with 2k off MSRP on 2016.5.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I understand the situation much better now. I guess the way car buying works these days has changed somewhat since I last bought one, or I just got lucky last time. I've got a few dealers communicating now, they aren't especially good at it but progress is being made. I'm being very direct about what I want, which is maybe the problem. I'm terrible at playing these weird games; I know exactly what I want, what a reasonable price is, and when I want to buy it. From my perspective that should communicate to the dealer that I'm an easy sale.

I have strongly considering going with a 2017 instead, but there are various aspects of it which I do not like. If buying a 2016.5 doesn't work out for me I will need to re-evaluate things but likely won't be buying a CX5.

I'm in the Puget Sound area, looking to buy from basically anywhere in the state of Washington - preferably western WA but if I have to fly to another state for a good deal that's not too big of a deal.

There's a guy here posted an incredible almost 20% off MSRP in Northern Cali. I have a dealer that has what I want matching it, supposedly today (I'm flying there too). He is willing to give the dealer name if you PM him. jakelee23 is the poster name. Good luck...

I had the same problem tying to find a FWD CX-5 in Utah. Dealers did not want to order one for me. They insisted I needed AWD, told me they would make up the MPG savings in a discount (usually around $400 - that wouldn't cover lifetime MPG difference costs...). It was a pain! I ended up finding a car on Cars.com - in Colorado and having it shipped to me. One thing I don't like about the 2017 CX5, is the reduced ground clearance. Looks like it's down to 7.6" from 8.5".
If you want an AWD version, there are lots still here in Utah. Bountiful, UT just sent me an email with 2k off MSRP on 2016.5.

That $2K off MSRP is the current Mazda incentive for 2016.5s. Here in CNY, it is about all you will get. We just bought ours this past Fri (04/14). While at the dealership, we watched 5 others being delivered as well as a couple more being test driven. We picked ours up the next day and they sold 2 more while we were there. They don't have to discount them when they are selling that fast.

That $2K off MSRP is the current Mazda incentive for 2016.5s. Here in CNY, it is about all you will get. We just bought ours this past Fri (04/14). While at the dealership, we watched 5 others being delivered as well as a couple more being test driven. We picked ours up the next day and they sold 2 more while we were there. They don't have to discount them when they are selling that fast.

This is the conclusion I've come to. I've managed to communicate with several dealers now, they are all basically behaving the same way and it's clear they are unwilling to discuss price any further. It's kind of funny, they all are pretty much lockstep on their numbers and in the way they blow off certain questions and topics. I've decided to go with the closest dealer since it's also where I will be taking my CX5 for warranty service. I could get one a bit cheaper, but it also involves travelling 70 miles so I'd rather save myself the hassle. Unless something changes, it looks like I will be buying a CX5 GT with AWD, both packages, and roof rails for around $30K (not including TT&L)

I've decided to go with the closest dealer since it's also where I will be taking my CX5 for warranty service. I could get one a bit cheaper, but it also involves travelling 70 miles
All dealers cover warranty regardless where you bought the car. Dealer service centers are compensated by Mazda for warranty service.

Back