Another CX-9 on the road :-)

Horton

:
Mazda CX-9
As a new CX-9 owner (Sig), I thought I would share my experience.
I wanted an SUV because I outgrew the family sedan. Older kids, roadtrips, and needing to transport larger items pushed me up the size bracket.

Within my budget, luxury brands (Lexus, Acura, BMW, Benz, Audi) were a non-starter (even though I drove some of them), so I was in the Toyota/Honda/Kia/Hyundai/Mazda/Ford/Chevy. I drove them all, which I encourage people do the same. I also spoke with a lot of people and their experience. Obviously, there's personal preference to all of this. Most told me to buy a Pilot or a Highlander. Others said avoid Kias/Hyundai/Ford/Chevy. People who had Mazdas really liked them, I also tend to keep cars for longer time/lots of miles, so resale isn't a large motivator.

Anyway, once I drove the CX-9, I knew it was the one. It drives better than any of the others (which are more truckish). The engine is plenty powerful enough; it's actually zippier in mid-range driving than the others. I don't care much about 0-60; I care about 20-50 and 40-70 performance. And the look; again, personal preference, but this is one sharp looking vehicle. People still stare at it when I am driving.

Some observations about things that were better than expected:

- Headlights are very bright and effective
- General driving dynamics and performance are even better; "nimble" is the word that comes to mind.
- The controls are very well laid out; once you use them you realize how efficient they are
- The heads-up display is amazing to have and very useful
- Radar cruise control is more useful than I anticipated; You have to trust it, but it's eerily good at it's job.
- Infotainment system is pretty good; I think the Android Auto/Carplay issue is overblown.
- Ambient light inside looks good and is functional
- The value to price ratio is very good in my opinion (people are shocked when they get in and go for a spin)
- Door water bottle holder deep and holds bottle well (compared to other vehicles)

Some odd quirks/minor gripes:

- The gas tank lid is made of a different/thinner metal than the body. It's like it's made of an aluminum can as opposed to sheet metal. Weird. Not sure why they did that. Every car I've had, that cover is the same material as the body. not sure why this bothers me, but it does (I think because I'm afraid it will break easily.)
- Pants leg catches on the tracks for the seats, especially when driver front seat all the way back and existing the car. Again, odd design. They also allow the front seat to be move waaaay far forward, to a position no person could drive in. Again, odd design, maybe necessitating the longer tracks.
- No coin tray - I got used to having one on driver's left side and miss it.
- Remote control - buttons are sensitive/get accidentally pressed when in pocket. (ex: reach across back seat, pocket pushes against seat, and remote is triggered and opens liftgate.

Overall, very happy. I'm sure I will find more things as the new car smell fade, but until then, zoom zoom.

Last edited:
As a new CX-9 owner (Sig), I thought I would share my experience.
I wanted an SUV because I outgrew the family sedan. Older kids, roadtrips, and needing to transport larger items pushed me up the size bracket.

Within my budget, luxury brands (Lexus, Acura, BMW, Benz, Audi) were a non-starter (even though I drove some of them), so I was in the Toyota/Honda/Kia/Hyundai/Mazda/Ford/Chevy. I drove them all, which I encourage people do the same. I also spoke with a lot of people and their experience. Obviously, there's personal preference to all of this. Most told me to buy a Pilot or a Highlander. Others said avoid Kias/Hyundai/Ford/Chevy. People who had Mazdas really liked them, I also tend to keep cars for longer time/lots of miles, so resale isn't a large motivator.

Anyway, once I drove the CX-9, I knew it was the one. It drives better than any of the others (which are more truckish). The engine is plenty powerful enough; it's actually zippier in mid-range driving than the others. I don't care much about 0-60; I care about 20-50 and 40-70 performance. And the look; again, personal preference, but this is one sharp looking vehicle. People still stare at it when I am driving.

Some observations about things that were better than expected:

- Headlights are very bright and effective
- General driving dynamics and performance are even better; "nimble" is the word that comes to mind.
- The controls are very well laid out; once you use them you realize how efficient they are
- The heads-up display is amazing to have and very useful
- Radar cruise control is more useful than I anticipated; You have to trust it, but it's eerily good at it's job.
- Infotainment system is pretty good; I think the Android Auto/Carplay issue is overblown.
- Ambient light inside looks good and is functional
- The value to price ratio is very good in my opinion (people are shocked when they get in and go for a spin)
- Door water bottle holder deep and holds bottle well (compared to other vehicles)

Some odd quirks/minor gripes:

- The gas tank lid is made of a different/thinner metal than the body. It's like it's made of an aluminum can as opposed to sheet metal. Weird. Not sure why they did that. Every car I've had, that cover is the same material as the body. not sure why this bothers me, but it does (I think because I'm afraid it will break easily.)
- Pants leg catches on the tracks for the seats, especially when driver front seat all the way back and existing the car. Again, odd design. They also allow the front seat to be move waaaay far forward, to a position no person could drive in. Again, odd design, maybe necessitating the longer tracks.
- No coin tray - I got used to having one on driver's left side and miss it.
- Remote control - buttons are sensitive/get accidentally pressed when in pocket. (ex: reach across back seat, pocket pushes against seat, and remote is triggered and opens liftgate.

Overall, very happy. I'm sure I will find more things as the new car smell fade, but until then, zoom zoom.

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Totally agree with all your observations...

Funny you mention a coin holder because it bugged me to. I bought a coin holder from Amazon $5.99 Prime and velcro inside the center console compartment. The coin holder came with a lid. Really Mazda would have cost what 62 cents to put one of these in all the CX-9's. It's the little things for me.

I was in the market for a 2016 model but because of the 4-cylinder engine I opted another year down just for the V6. This was a deal breaker for me. I know the 4 turbo is great but I already have two other Mazda's with this motor. I wanted a Grand Touring and V6 which is what I bought in a 2015 model. They should at least have an option. I love the V6 but wish I had the new design but overall I'm really happy with my purchase. I think I like the older front nose than the pointy front of the 16.

They should also have the rear A/C vents in the ceiling. My Chevy Traverse (not a mini van) had the second and third row A/C in the ceiling. My youngest kid sits in the 3rd row always of the CX-9 and we live in South Florida where it's always 90+ degrees out. Poor kid is dying back there. My Traverse SUV was a 2012 and they had it.

The trunk door should lift higher. Maybe there is a mod to do this? I'm tall 6 foot 3 and I hit my head several times on metal, it's not fun. I hate when car Companies only use average size people during design. Again, my Traverse never an issue, it seems the American Companies look out for the big people.

Welcome to the CX-9 and forums!

Congrats and welcome to the forum! As others have said I totally agree. @jpjr50 - I have hit my head a few times. Now I just have to remember to duck. It is especially bad when the vehicle's rear end is lower than the front (small hill). BTW I'm 5'11".

I had an old ashtray that used to fit into a cup-holder...from an old Chevy, I think. It's got a spring-loaded lid, and fits perfectly into the door's bottle holder. I wrapped the outside with some black foam to keep it quiet.
Works ok for my coins, but I do miss a proper ashtray.

The other day I was at our veterinarian's front desk and looked outside just in time to see the CX-9's tailgate lifting up. Evidently, I leaned against the counter and pressed the button. Luckily, our dogs were sitting right next to me. I'd like to figure out some way to prevent the button on the fob from working - I never use it to open the tailgate anyway, and it would be a disaster to have it open unexpectedly and release the dogs onto a busy street.

After about 50 head bumps, I'm finally learning to watch my head when the tailgate is open. But I still haven't learned to account for my added height when wearing a cycling or skiing helmet. Just got back from a quick ski trip and really wished there was some way to disengage the motor and use the tailgate manually. It seems like there are just some times when it's continually being opened or closed (like when washing the car) and it's frustrating to have to wait.

Every fourth or fifth time I get in the car, I accidentally press my wife's seat setting and get crunched. I'm not even sure how I'm pressing it - maybe it's the covers I use to protect the seats from the dogs.

Driving on long trips is made a million times easier by the adaptive cruise control. Lane keeping seems to work most of the time, but I wouldn't depend on it. And I have to remember not to get lazy and count on the driver in front of me to set the pace in reduced speed zones. It's great to automatically slow to 35 mph without having to touch any controls, but if they decide to pull over to the curb, my cruise control doesn't know that I'm in the middle of a small town and it will try to get me back up to 75 mph as quickly as it can. Same thing happens when the road curves and all of sudden there's no vehicle directly in front of me.

My polarized sun glasses make the heads-up display disappear, but I discovered that it's possible to see it by just tilting my head sideways a bit. Doesn't have to be a full 90 but I'm sure it still looks funny to anyone watching.

And, after almost four months, I'm still not tired of the five hits they play over and over on the XM Radio free preview station. :)

https://youtu.be/JGwWNGJdvx8

On another note, my kids think the CX-9 is very cool. "I want to get a car like this when I grow up". (given the zoom-zooom, some of us never do ;-) ) One thinks the heads-up display is awesome. Another is learning the difference between torque and horsepower ("It feels fast") USB charging ports a big hit ("We don't need to worry about running out of battery". I think they like riding up higher too. So thumbs up fthere.

Oh, I picked up the WeatherTech mats, which fit nicely. I've had enough spilled drinks and muddy feet that it's well worth it.

What do you guys use for car washing (exterior), and cleaning and maintaining interior dash, trim, and leather?
Do you use anything on exterior rubber trim (ex around windows and door seals?)

Last edited:
I have come to realize that one really needs a cargo net for the CX-9; given the slope/arc of the back area, combined with driving, everything ends up against the back door, and them rolls/tumbles out when you open it.
I was too accustomed to there being there. Another accessory to add :)

Back