Just made the switch from a Speed6 to a CX-5!

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi Guys,

I've been debating unloading my 2006 Speed6 for a few months now because I was getting so tired of that sports clutch in stop and go traffic. Plus I wasn't driving that car the way it was built to be driven. I longed for something smoother and less raw, easier to drive, and with a higher seating position for this 5'1" gal. So I sold the Speed6, cried a little bit, and walked into the Mazda dealership and bought a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring. That dried up my tears real fast, let me tell you!

This is my 4th Mazda and I am a very satisfied customer. I am LOVING the car so far, mainly because it just feels so nice and luxurious to drive and it's the first car I've ever owned that I can actually see the hood over the steering wheel without craning my neck like a meerkat. It's nice having a practical amount of ground clearance too, especially since I'm a civil engineer and have to visit construction sites or empty lots off dirt roads. My Speed6 could not do that even though it was AWD. I thought I'd miss the power and speed but I really don't. The CX-5 uses that 184 hp very well and I'm not missing the 300+ hp I used to have. Also, its agility and nimbleness are very surprising. I've never had anything besides a sedan or a sports car before and I thought I'd be sacrificing more agility than I am by making the move to a CUV. My CX-5 feels more nimble than my boyfriend's Ford Focus ST!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and share how much I'm loving my new car. I've been reading these forums for a while now and there are some very knowledgeable people here that I hope to learn from. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Welcome! And congrats - I've got a 16.5 Touring as well. Any packages? I went all the way with the Bose & Tech and love them both.

Welcome! Did you get the rubber cargo tray, perfect for dripping hard boots from the construction site? And mud guards perhaps.

Yes I absolutely got the rubber cargo tray and the all weather floor mats! Actually the dealer threw those in for free in addition to the cargo cover.

Didn't get any packages because all the features I wanted were included! The 2016.5 Touring was the exact trim I was looking for, no more and no less, and I am very happy with all the features it has. I definitely wanted a backup camera, heated CLOTH seats, and navigation and that's exactly what I got.

Yes I absolutely got the rubber cargo tray and the all weather floor mats! Actually the dealer threw those in for free in addition to the cargo cover.

Didn't get any packages because all the features I wanted were included! The 2016.5 Touring was the exact trim I was looking for, no more and no less, and I am very happy with all the features it has. I definitely wanted a backup camera, heated CLOTH seats, and navigation and that's exactly what I got.

Nice!
Welcome! I like your taste... Have always liked the underdog/under-rated MS6!

Nice!
Welcome! I like your taste... Have always liked the underdog/under-rated MS6!

YES! I am convinced there is no other vehicle on the market that offers more bang for the buck than the MS6. Basically you're getting a Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo, but at less than half the price AND it is more refined and luxurious! It is a fantastic car and it's a shame Mazda only made them for 2 years. Makes them very rare though which worked to my benefit when I sold it. I got $10k for my 2006 MS6 with 88k miles on it which is about double the KBB value. I bought it 2 years prior with 72k miles for $8500 so I was very happy. Many fun times were had with that beast but I was tired of having a manual transmission and wanted something with higher ground clearance. I will remember that car very fondly for the rest of my life. Mazda did a fantastic job on that model and you are correct -- it is definitely underrated.

YES! I am convinced there is no other vehicle on the market that offers more bang for the buck than the MS6. Basically you're getting a Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo, but at less than half the price AND it is more refined and luxurious! It is a fantastic car and it's a shame Mazda only made them for 2 years. Makes them very rare though which worked to my benefit when I sold it. I got $10k for my 2006 MS6 with 88k miles on it which is about double the KBB value. I bought it 2 years prior with 72k miles for $8500 so I was very happy. Many fun times were had with that beast but I was tired of having a manual transmission and wanted something with higher ground clearance. I will remember that car very fondly for the rest of my life. Mazda did a fantastic job on that model and you are correct -- it is definitely underrated.
And another nice thing is how well that MS6 blends in and does not scream "LOOK AT ME!" like the other 2 you mentioned WRX/EVO. It always felt like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Did you get AWD on your 2016.5 CX-5?

And another nice thing is how well that MS6 blends in and does not scream "LOOK AT ME!" like the other 2 you mentioned WRX/EVO. It always felt like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Yes it's a very subtle car visually unlike those in-your-face racer boy cars, and your wolf in sheep's clothing description is spot on! However, once you turn the engine on and hear how it sounds, you know you're in for the ride of your life.

I did not opt for the AWD with my CX-5 because it never snows around here and I could not justify the extra cost. I don't plan on doing anything with the CX-5 that would call for AWD like off-roading or driving in snow or ice. It's just to get me to and from work, the grocery store, occasional freeway road trip, etc. Don't get me wrong, I wanted the AWD because it's nice to have just in case you do ever need it, but I'm a logical engineer and the cost benefit analysis ruled in favor of the FWD. Better gas mileage and a lower sticker price caused me to choose the FWD and it fits my needs very well.

By the way I just noticed your '09 Mazdaspeed3 ... the kid who ended up buying my MS6 was a total racer boy who had just wrecked his MS3 into a tree so he wanted something that handled better and without the notorious MS3 torque steer. My MS6 fit the bill perfectly! He test drove it on a rainy day, couldn't believe how well it handled, and bought it on the spot. It was nice to see it go to a Mazdaspeed person who would really appreciate it.

By the way I just noticed your '09 Mazdaspeed3 ... the kid who ended up buying my MS6 was a total racer boy who had just wrecked his MS3 into a tree so he wanted something that handled better and without the notorious MS3 torque steer. My MS6 fit the bill perfectly! He test drove it on a rainy day, couldn't believe how well it handled, and bought it on the spot. It was nice to see it go to a Mazdaspeed person who would really appreciate it.

Yes, if you are passionate about your car, when it finally comes time to sell, you want it to go to someone who will also cherish it as you did.

My Pearl White Speed3 was previously owned by a fellow fanatic that was also a traveling salesman, who drove it over 280,000 miles. This car was in better condition than ones I had looked at that were a third the mileage and twice the cost, and this car still had the original clutch, motor, drivetrain etc LOL!
I am now the custodian of it, trying to bring it to 300,000 myself now.

Yes the FWD is just fine for our mild weather, you will be very happy with it.

Since you are a fellow Nor-Cal'er, I am curious where you ended up getting your new CX-5 at?

Also what color combo did you get?

My parents Soul Red/Tan Cloth looks very sharp together, but all of my 3 CX-5's have been Crystal White Pearl/Black Cloth.

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be selling my pride and joy to someone who had just wrapped theirs around a tree or telephone pole. That alone sends up a lot of red flags for me, particularly with how they drive on public roads.

In fact, when I bought my 3000 GT VR4, I bought it out from under another guy who was looking to replace his 3000 GT as he had just totaled his. The seller mentioned this during our sales transaction.... and I think it was the main reason he opted to sell it to me instead of the other guy. The fact I could hand him the cash in an hour didn't hurt either.

I then spoke to the seller a few days later, and he stated that while the other dude was seriously pissed off, he was at peace with his decision because he knew I was a buyer who wasn't a total idiot/punk that would put other people and his precious toy in danger.

YMMV

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be selling my pride and joy to someone who had just wrapped theirs around a tree or telephone pole. That alone sends up a lot of red flags for me, particularly with how they drive on public roads.

In fact, when I bought my 3000 GT VR4, I bought it out from under another guy who was looking to replace his 3000 GT as he had just totaled his. The seller mentioned this during our sales transaction.... and I think it was the main reason he opted to sell it to me instead of the other guy. The fact I could hand him the cash in an hour didn't hurt either.

I then spoke to the seller a few days later, and he stated that while the other dude was seriously pissed off, he was at peace with his decision because he knew I was a buyer who wasn't a total idiot/punk that would put other people and his precious toy in danger.

YMMV

If you are selling it - its no longer your pride.
2nd - doesnt matter if the new owner is a prick or not. The guy who totaled it may have had qualities that are on the plus side. So in the end - unless you know the buyer for more than 6 months - everyone is equal. Just commit to a comfortable price and do not backtrack and backstab.
Was selling my Scion tC - another hidden gem to a college student with her grandma. 2nd day another young college girl wanted it - her whole family was there - brothers father daughter and mom. I was like if A doesnt buy it - you can and they were sad. It was a fantastic car - but I sold it to the first one. No matter how plain jane etc they were - my word is it plus I dont profile buyers only ensure they are respectful and come with a BofA or reputed bank cashier's check.

YMMV

I totally get what you're saying but once he gave me the $10k cash and I handed him the title, I also handed over the rights to it being my pride and joy so I don't really get to say how he drives it and I had to accept that. I do know that he is very familiar with that engine and all the mods and he will love it like his first born so I was comfortable with it going to him. He was so excited! He'd been looking for a MS6 for a while so I know he will appreciate the car. And you know what, if it gets wrecked that's not my problem anymore and at least the car was actually being driven the way it was built to be driven instead of putt putting around town with me at the helm.

Yes, if you are passionate about your car, when it finally comes time to sell, you want it to go to someone who will also cherish it as you did.

My Pearl White Speed3 was previously owned by a fellow fanatic that was also a traveling salesman, who drove it over 280,000 miles. This car was in better condition than ones I had looked at that were a third the mileage and twice the cost, and this car still had the original clutch, motor, drivetrain etc LOL!
I am now the custodian of it, trying to bring it to 300,000 myself now.

Yes the FWD is just fine for our mild weather, you will be very happy with it.

Since you are a fellow Nor-Cal'er, I am curious where you ended up getting your new CX-5 at?

Also what color combo did you get?

My parents Soul Red/Tan Cloth looks very sharp together, but all of my 3 CX-5's have been Crystal White Pearl/Black Cloth.

I got the Crystal White Pearl/Black Cloth just like yours and it's exactly what I wanted! The white is just so sharp and the black cloth seats are perfect. My Speed6 had black leather and I hated that because whenever I was wearing a skirt or shorts my legs would get burned right off. Also, tan cloth was a no go for me because I take my dog hiking a lot so I needed a dark color to hide the dirt. The color combo I got is exactly what I wanted even though the dealer only had a few 2016's left so I didn't have much to choose from.

I purchased it at Capitol Mazda in San Jose and I could not have been happier with the entire sales experience. I got a great deal with no hassle and all the employees were fantastic! Plus they threw in a bunch of free accessories.

Thanks for confirming the FWD is fine for our mild weather. I was a little hesitant at first, especially coming from the AWD MS6, so your opinion definitely makes me feel better. Not that I'm doubting my decision - I know there's little chance I'll ever need the AWD capabilities - but still, it is reassuring.

If you are selling it - its no longer your pride.
2nd - doesnt matter if the new owner is a prick or not. The guy who totaled it may have had qualities that are on the plus side. So in the end - unless you know the buyer for more than 6 months - everyone is equal. Just commit to a comfortable price and do not backtrack and backstab.
Was selling my Scion tC - another hidden gem to a college student with her grandma. 2nd day another young college girl wanted it - her whole family was there - brothers father daughter and mom. I was like if A doesnt buy it - you can and they were sad. It was a fantastic car - but I sold it to the first one. No matter how plain jane etc they were - my word is it plus I dont profile buyers only ensure they are respectful and come with a BofA or reputed bank cashier's check.

Meh. Different strokes for different folks. When the time came to sell it I even refused test drives to punks cuz they were, well, punks.

I totally get what you're saying but once he gave me the $10k cash and I handed him the title, I also handed over the rights to it being my pride and joy so I don't really get to say how he drives it and I had to accept that. I do know that he is very familiar with that engine and all the mods and he will love it like his first born so I was comfortable with it going to him. He was so excited! He'd been looking for a MS6 for a while so I know he will appreciate the car. And you know what, if it gets wrecked that's not my problem anymore and at least the car was actually being driven the way it was built to be driven instead of putt putting around town with me at the helm.

Yeah... it was just more of a "food for thought" type of comment regarding potential buyers. Cash is hard to turn down, I understand that.

The MS6 was certainly a sleeper... but I found it easy to spot due to the different front bumper.

Yeah... it was just more of a "food for thought" type of comment regarding potential buyers. Cash is hard to turn down, I understand that.

The MS6 was certainly a sleeper... but I found it easy to spot due to the different front bumper.

It definitely crossed my mind as a reservation because no one wants the car they love so much getting wrecked, but then the logical engineer in me took over and I had to let it go. And honestly the kid learned his lesson after he wrecked his MS3. It broke his heart and he actually cried! And seeing how happy and excited he was after he drove my MS6, I really could not be happier about who I sold it to. That kid is going to LOVE the car the way it deserves to be loved and knows exactly what to do to make it perform at its best. That's the home and owner I was hoping for.

You're right about the MS6 being easy to spot if you know what you're looking for. The dual exhaust and the raised hood to make room for the extra goodies under there is what differentiated it for me. People in the know really loved that car and would fall over themselves to admire it but no one else had any idea what I was working with until it was too late and they were left in my dust!

Welcome! I just recently got a 16.5 Touring as well (with no packages added and cargo cover). Enjoy. It's such a joy to drive.

wot-in-tarnation-13277442.png

Back