2017 Mazda CX-5 FUEL FILLER DOOR -- Hint of whats to come?

Pretty sure that's just the result of skyactiv technology showing some of its inconveniences. Saves weight... and probably a few pennies, but it annoying for owners, like you noted.

I would have thought that they could design the hinge with an indent or some way to hold the door in the open position without adding cost or weight. Oh well, now I know that everyone else has the filler door flapping in the breeze like I do.

Judging by the number of diesels I come across daily, no one ever refills those tanks once they're empty. Every single one has the most obnoxious exhaust gases around.

And I'm someone who can sit in an enclosed room with 10 smokers and not be bothered at all... but get me behind a diesel and I will get a headache within seconds.

As far as I'm aware a warning message should be displayed that there is a certain number of miles to go before the Adblue needs to be added. Once the limit has been reached without refilling, the engine will refuse to start. Perhaps you've been behind diesels that do not have the additive facility?

As far as I'm aware a warning message should be displayed that there is a certain number of miles to go before the Adblue needs to be added. Once the limit has been reached without refilling, the engine will refuse to start. Perhaps you've been behind diesels that do not have the additive facility?

Not sure. Usually its a ~5-15 year old VW or Heavy Duty truck. They all stink to high heaven.

You know a design like that is going to cause problems for the diesel CX-5 model. The DEF port is located too close to the diesel port. It won’t be long before someone does a misfueling and pours DEF into the diesel tank or vice versa: pours diesel into the DEF tank.

If I remember correctly, when I once considered a VW Passat TDI a few years ago, the DEF container was located in the trunk. And that’s where you added more DEF fluid. VW will not pay for a misfueling accident under the warranty. A misfueling is when someone accidentally or absent mindedly pours gasoline into the diesel tank. You misfuel it, you pay for it.

The diesel and DEF nozzles are different sizes, so it would be improbable to add diesel to the DEF. As for DEF to the diesel, lots of places with DEF pumps now fit a magnetic collar device on the DEF pump that will only allow pumping if its mate is found on the filler tube. For older vehicles that don't have this, you can get a slip-on collar that will allow the pump to operate. I would assume the Mazda will have the device built in.

It won't end accidents - the plastic containers don't include it - but it should help prevent accidents.

As the owner of two diesel CX5's (a 2014 and a 2017), as well as having had a diesel 3 for a few weeks... um what?
I have never had to add anything other than diesel fuel and this car doesn't have a stink.
The new CX5 does have a larger fuel tank cover, and there's a place to punch out something else - looking more like electric charger area. And the lid cover doesn't flap about.

Perhaps different different countries.

Judging by the number of diesels I come across daily, no one ever refills those tanks once they're empty. Every single one has the most obnoxious exhaust gases around.

And I'm someone who can sit in an enclosed room with 10 smokers and not be bothered at all... but get me behind a diesel and I will get a headache within seconds.
Yes I hate the stinky diesels also. Do the European cx5 diesel engines take DEF?

As the owner of two diesel CX5's (a 2014 and a 2017), as well as having had a diesel 3 for a few weeks... um what?
I have never had to add anything other than diesel fuel and this car doesn't have a stink.
The new CX5 does have a larger fuel tank cover, and there's a place to punch out something else - looking more like electric charger area. And the lid cover doesn't flap about.

Perhaps different different countries.

It is unlikely the engine would pass USA emissions requirements without DEF. The diesel has been delayed many times here due to inadequate performance, as one executive put it. DEF solves that problem, although it will make the car more expensive. Volkswagen was the only manufacturer who was able to do it without DEF - and of course, we now know they did it by disabling emission controls when not being tested.

005-2016-chevrolet-colorado-diesel-def-fill.jpg

From the Chevy Colorado. This is a typical set up now. Older vehicles that had SCR added on late in the design process sometimes had the DEF filler in the trunk or under the hood.

Definitely diesel. Diesel is coming to US later this calendar year - but already sold in other countries.

Definitely diesel. Diesel is coming to US later this calendar year - but already sold in other countries.

None require DEF yet. My guess is that the new generation will be either 2017.5 or 2018 model year.

I bet you nailed it right there. 2017 was purpose-built to have an oil burner engine later in the cycle, so may as well bake that in from the start and not have some gaudy make-do.

Back