2017 Mazda CX-5 FUEL FILLER DOOR -- Hint of whats to come?

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
FINALLY got to see and fondle the 2017 CX-5

I have not noticed anyone talk about it yet here. Forgive me if you have...

What about that HUGE FUEL FILLER DOOR! (scratch)

went from a (estimated) 5 inch circle to a large 6x10 rectangle...

Electric/Hybrid future preparedness? (popcorn)

Last edited:
It was talked about on one of the diesel threads a bit. Its most likely the Diesel exhaust fluid refill location is the current guess.

PS- Mazda isn't going electric for a while and I'm certain they won't use the CX-5's chassis for whatever they do go with. Whatever the reason its probably having to do with the diesel and the gas models share the same basic design.

Last edited:
So it got smaller?
Sorry, I do not have the actual measurements, my figures were estimates only.

Visibly it looks larger on the 2017 CX-5 from the previous gen.

2017-Mazda-CX-5-side-profile.jpg

2016-Mazda-CX-5-color-edit.jpg

Last edited:
uc

Like I said. Its another hole for something else, the guess is the diesel exhaust fluid. Which would make sense.

That extra slot is for banana peels...for the flux capacitor.

Strange, I have seen no mention of the MR.FUSION option yet...
htip_back_to_future_mr_fusion_replica_inuse.jpg

U.S. emissions are pretty strict. Run by a whole bunch of Bifs if you ask me.

From a manufacturing standpoint, adding certain pre-installed add-ons on the assembly line cuts costs. Certain networking routers that sell as mid grade ones...are really a de-tuned high grade routers which you can hack to unlock its capabilities.

U.S. emissions are pretty strict. Run by a whole bunch of Bifs if you ask me.

From a manufacturing standpoint, adding certain pre-installed add-ons on the assembly line cuts costs. Certain networking routers that sell as mid grade ones...are really a de-tuned high grade routers which you can hack to unlock its capabilities.

Last I heard it had been upgraded to something a bit more universal:

d8ab5a4bd3f2cade90f2f213d96020ef.jpg

This is a happy tour for me to read on this post. After reading the whole post, we can get solutions to deal with the trouble quickly and safely. Thanks for your nice sharing.

Speaking of the fuel filler door...

Is there supposed to be a spring or something holding the filler door open on the 2016.5? Mine doesn't have one and the wind blows it around when I'm filling up.

Is there supposed to be a spring or something holding the filler door open on the 2016.5? Mine doesn't have one and the wind blows it around when I'm filling up.

Pretty sure that's just the result of skyactiv technology showing some of its inconveniences. Saves weight... and probably a few pennies, but it annoying for owners, like you noted.

2017 Mazda CX-5 FUEL FILLER DOOR -- Hint of whats to come?

Pretty sure that's just the result of skyactiv technology showing some of its inconveniences. Saves weight... and probably a few pennies, but it annoying for owners, like you noted.
Yeah noticed the free-swing fuel filler door the first time I filled up the gas on our new CX-5. I double-checked the design and found there's nothing but a simple hinge hence the free-swing! My BMW 528i has spring-loaded hinge design and the door stops at the open and close positions. My 98' Honda CR-V has a multi-link hinge with 2 springs pressing the hinge pin so that the door swing is very tight and can be holded at any positions.

Last edited:
You know a design like that is going to cause problems for the diesel CX-5 model. The DEF port is located too close to the diesel port. It wont be long before someone does a misfueling and pours DEF into the diesel tank or vice versa: pours diesel into the DEF tank.

If I remember correctly, when I once considered a VW Passat TDI a few years ago, the DEF container was located in the trunk. And thats where you added more DEF fluid. VW will not pay for a misfueling accident under the warranty. A misfueling is when someone accidentally or absent mindedly pours gasoline into the diesel tank. You misfuel it, you pay for it.

You know a design like that is going to cause problems for the diesel CX-5 model. The DEF port is located too close to the diesel port. It wont be long before someone does a misfueling and pours DEF into the diesel tank or vice versa: pours diesel into the DEF tank.

If I remember correctly, when I once considered a VW Passat TDI a few years ago, the DEF container was located in the trunk. And thats where you added more DEF fluid. VW will not pay for a misfueling accident under the warranty. A misfueling is when someone accidentally or absent mindedly pours gasoline into the diesel tank. You misfuel it, you pay for it.

Judging by the number of diesels I come across daily, no one ever refills those tanks once they're empty. Every single one has the most obnoxious exhaust gases around.

And I'm someone who can sit in an enclosed room with 10 smokers and not be bothered at all... but get me behind a diesel and I will get a headache within seconds.

Back