Got my first real ding on my CX9

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
CX-9 was parked in the garage. Noticed the CX9 hatch was slightly opened after I went into garage and opened the garage door. Nice big ding in the rear hatch left of the licence plate. Best i can figure, the hatch was opened by the remote fob that was in my pocket while I was in the house. There are only a few inches between the back of the CX9 and the garage door and the hatch opened into the old manual garage door handle hardware and caused the ding.
Lessons learned:
Remote fob in pocket can accidentally activate the rear hatch. Never had an automatic hatch before.
The radar in the back bumper does not prevent the hatch from opening into garage door/obstruction.
Wrapped pool noodle/padding around hardware on garage door if your hatch cannot clear it when opening.

Ouch.

I recently got a couple dings at the tire shop while getting my snow tires off. I searched and went to a paintless dent repair shop and am amazed. For $200 (the tire shop paid) I cannot find either dent. I think the quality varies a lot but if you find a good shop it's outstanding. If you happen to be anywhere near Danbury CT, I went to Dee Dents (deedents.com) and highly recommend him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that - bummer. I did that on another vehicle about a year back, and so now one of the first things I did was program the tailgate not to rise above a certain point to avoid that exact thing. I know, 20/20 hindsight and all, but worth doing to avoid problem in future.

This was with the garage door closed. I'd already programmed the rear hatch open height to just clear the opened garage door. Unfortunately I couldn't go as high as I would have liked since the corners of the hatch doesn't quite clear my head. Bumping head versus hitting the garage door. Sacrificing my head for now.(smash)

Best i can figure, the hatch was opened by the remote fob that was in my pocket while I was in the house.
During the first month of owning my CX-9, I found the rear hatch wide-open upon returning to the parked car. My wonderful wife made me this key-fob cover which has solved the problem. There is an inner pocket which has a stiffener that prevents the buttons from being pushed inadvertently. I never remove the key from the cover since everything works by proximity. Cool, eh?
f1z9le.jpg
qs17p2.jpg

Back