Would like to hear opinions on the upcoming US CX-5 2.2d vs the 2.5t in the CX-9

chinq6t

:
2014 CX5 GT AWD
I was wondering if any one else had similar thoughts of comparing the latest turbo motors from Mazda? I'm excited for the CX-5 Diesel to enter the US market. I'm equally excited over the 'compatibility' of the CX-9's 2.5t motor in the 3, 6, and CX-5.

Any way, I'd like to hear some opinions comparing and contrasting the two. Like their intended purpose and their potential in the after market tuning environment? Surely the CX-9 could have been outfitted with the diesel but Mazda came out with a gasoline motor in addition to the diesel. It's an apples to oranges comparison, but as a current CX-5 owner thinking down the road, these are the two that I will be cross shopping.

Would I be correct in thinking in terms of comparing a VW Golf TDI vs VW GTI and base the characteristics off of that analogy?

Last edited:
I can't wait until the diesel comes out. I will be waiting inline to trade my 16.5 touring off on a new 18 touring next year.

Torque figures here in Australia for the CX-5 diesel and CX-9 2.5L turbo are the same [310foot/pound (420NM) at 2000rpm]

Could be the reason why one engine is available in one vehicle not in the other

I leased my 2015 in the spring of 2014 with the hopes the 2.2d would be available at the end of the 36 month lease. Then I began to fear the 2017's wouldn't even be out by then.

I've got a 2017 GT w/Premium pkg on order and will likely go for another lease and hope for the best. By that time the 2.2d here should be pretty well fleshed out.

if it comes in manual i'll be doing the same thing.

I don't care about the manual as the transmission is already great IMHO, but it would compliment the diesel quite nicely. Only time will tell. Hopefully I'll have enough miles on my 16.5 by December of 2018 to justify trading it off. That way they can hopefully get the growing pains out of it by then.

I don't care about the manual as the transmission is already great IMHO, but it would compliment the diesel quite nicely. Only time will tell. Hopefully I'll have enough miles on my 16.5 by December of 2018 to justify trading it off. That way they can hopefully get the growing pains out of it by then.
IMO manual sales aren't great enough to justify it as an option across more models

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back