Behavior of the Auto Hold button + electric parking brake

I wish it could be set to engaged by default also. Use is all the time!

++

Its a great feature but silly that it doesn't stay enabled.
I get the point of requiring a conscious decision by the operator to engage/disengage certain options every time (eg TCS), but I can't think of any negative safety repercussions to leaving it enabled.
Actually, one could argue that it's safer to leave it ON if the operator has set it, vs. disabling it automatically each time.

I can*t understand why anyone wouldn*t use auto hold and not using the parking brake is bewildering to me. However, it is the law in Europe that the parking brake must be applied before leaving the car.

Can't agree more. Under good influence from this forum I've started using both EPB and Autohold functions. I really love Autohold. Although I'm a cautious driver always putting car in Park even for brief stops like letting wife off the car, or leaning over to reach a parking booth, etc., one out of 10 times I would be tempted to rely on foot brake only. Autohold saves my wife or myself from that 1/10 chance of potentially getting serious injury, should my foot slip off the brake pedal by accident. Not to mention potentially fatal T-bone accidents when waiting for a gap to turn into a busy road. Just hope Autohold can be turned on permanently via the screen UI.

I do notice some difference between the two functions though. When EPB is stopping the car for me, I can still depress the brake pedal freely, but when Autohold is stopping the car, the brake pedal is so stiff it won't sink a bit even if I step hard enough. No it's not an issue, I'm just curious what the mechanism is behind the two. Unfortunately I don't have any mechanical background, would love to learn if someone has an explanation.

Just hope Autohold can be turned on permanently via the screen UI....
Unfortunately I don't have any mechanical background, would love to learn if someone has an explanation.

Sadly, it must be reapplied each time you start the car [unless they changed it for 18]. One of my biggest complaints about the car. LOL That's how much I like it!

Click here for a technical description of Autohold, thanks to Anchorman for posting it.

++

Its a great feature but silly that it doesn't stay enabled.
I get the point of requiring a conscious decision by the operator to engage/disengage certain options every time (eg TCS), but I can't think of any negative safety repercussions to leaving it enabled.
Actually, one could argue that it's safer to leave it ON if the operator has set it, vs. disabling it automatically each time.

Totally agree.

Back