Behavior of the Auto Hold button + electric parking brake

Probably useful for some people but I feel like this auto-hold will create bad habits on good drivers.

You really must not like the radar cruise control, smart braking, lane assist, blind spot monitor, auto lights and other features that lull the driver into complacency.

Am driving the 2017 CX5, with Auto-Hold enabled, the EPB does not come on when I put my ride to "P". I have to manually lift the button to enable the EPB.

Am driving the 2017 CX5, with Auto-Hold enabled, the EPB does not come on when I put my ride to "P". I have to manually lift the button to enable the EPB.

AFAIK regardless if auto hold is on or not, one still needs to lift the button to enable park brake

I have the EPB come on all the time after I park with autohold on. It's kind of annoying, but It is not an issue. It is either a feature that not well documented, or you didn't wait long enough after putting in park to release you seatbelt or open the door. Only Mazda engineers can define how they set this up.

You really must not like the radar cruise control, smart braking, lane assist, blind spot monitor, auto lights and other features that lull the driver into complacency.

That's generalization though. I'm just talking about this specific feature.

In theory Auto hold shouldn't promote bad driving habits. All its doing is holding the car in place. If someone is really worried, they need not switch it on. Problem solved.

I get the feeling that auto hold and EPB are some how related but not the same. In a automatic geared car, when you stop at traffic lights and the gear is still in drive mode and auto hold is activated the car keeps still even when you have stopped pressing on the foot brake. For me that means that there is some kind of clutch and brake activated at the same time in auto hold (in short it disengages the engine and applies a brake).
When you stop your car and use EPB instead, you can not leave your car in drive mode at the same time. It has to be in park or neutral mode. That means there is no clutch activation here (I know that there are no real clutch in automatics but something similar is happening here). In both modes you can drive away without having to disengage auto-hold or EPB manually.
Now why do I think that they are related? Try stopping at the traffic lights with auto hold activated. You will feel some pressure on the foot brake pedal as if something is happening on the brakes. Now activate the EPB and you will see that pressure increases on the brake pedal. So they both apply brakes but to a varying grade. I was very skeptical about all these stopping modes before since I always had manual gear and good old fashioned handbrake lever but I am beginning to like them.

I get the feeling that auto hold and EPB are some how related but not the same. In a automatic geared car, when you stop at traffic lights and the gear is still in drive mode and auto hold is activated the car keeps still even when you have stopped pressing on the foot brake. For me that means that there is some kind of clutch and brake activated at the same time in auto hold (in short it disengages the engine and applies a brake).
When you stop your car and use EPB instead, you can not leave your car in drive mode at the same time. It has to be in park or neutral mode. That means there is no clutch activation here (I know that there are no real clutch in automatics but something similar is happening here). In both modes you can drive away without having to disengage auto-hold or EPB manually.
Now why do I think that they are related? Try stopping at the traffic lights with auto hold activated. You will feel some pressure on the foot brake pedal as if something is happening on the brakes. Now activate the EPB and you will see that pressure increases on the brake pedal. So they both apply brakes but to a varying grade. I was very skeptical about all these stopping modes before since I always had manual gear and good old fashioned handbrake lever but I am beginning to like them.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just read this in my CX-5_8GN8-EA-18A_Edition1 2018 manual. I think it explains how EPB and Autohold are related (bold mine), and how they can be automated. I've played with the auto hold and I liked it, but hardly use it. My comfort level isn't there yet. I never use a parking brake, but maybe I'll start now :) There's some other really interesting stuff about when the auto hold works in reverse. If I lived in SFO, I would definitely read that!

NOTE
If the electric parking brake (EPB) switch is pulled while the AUTOHOLD is operating, the electric parking brake (EPB) is applied and the AUTOHOLD is released. In addition, if the electric parking brake (EPB) is released under this condition, the AUTOHOLD operates to hold the brakes.
Under the following conditions, the electric parking brake (EPB) is automatically applied and the AUTOHOLD is released. The AUTOHOLD is re-enabled when the conditions before the AUTOHOLD is released are restored.

The drivers seat belt is unfastened.
The drivers door is opened.
When Driving Brake
When about ten minutes or longer have passed since the AUTOHOLD operation started, the electric parking brake (EPB) is automatically applied. Because the AUTOHOLD is restored when releasing the electric parking brake (EPB), the hold on the brakes by AUTOHOLD function resumes.
(Manual transaxle vehicle)
When starting to drive the vehicle forward or in reverse on a down slope, depress the clutch pedal and shift the shift lever to the appropriate position for driving in the desired direction, and then depress the accelerator pedal to release the AUTOHOLD.

I can*t understand why anyone wouldn*t use auto hold and not using the parking brake is bewildering to me. However, it is the law in Europe that the parking brake must be applied before leaving the car.

I hate that it turns off after you shut off the vehicle or that the seatbelt has to be clipped to activate it.

My BMW X3 >My wifes Mazda CX-5 in this feature

I can*t understand why anyone wouldn*t use auto hold and not using the parking brake is bewildering to me. However, it is the law in Europe that the parking brake must be applied before leaving the car.

I don't think it needs to be a "law" but I think parking brakes should be set when a vehicle is parked for safety and transmission health reasons
Foot on brake
Car in park
Set EPB (engaged by auto hold or not)
Foot off brake

Don't want the trans holding the weight of the car on inclines

Back