Mazda mobile start, anyone have it?

Don't have it but only con I see is you have to pay �� for a service to start your car.

Have it as it was pre-installed on the only car within 150 miles that had the other options that I wanted. It worked ok the one time I used it during the trial subscription, though it was a bit slow. I'd guesstimate a minute or so between starting the app and being able to start the car. I didn't renew as a) I didn't use it enough to warrant spending the money and b) I think $65.00 a year is insane when the option is already $550 (more if not factory installed). Love my CX-5 and intend on keeping it a very long time, but they got the pricing on this badly wrong IMHO.

I thought about it but also passed because I am simply not paying annually for this option. I don't care if it's $5. It's the point. And I get the cost... there's an actual cellular radio in it. I don't care that it can take "up to a minute" Big deal. You could be in China and start your car in Chicago. That's pretty amazing.
BUT, not paying annually. I got an aftermarket one installed at the dealer for $399. Has a 1,200 foot range. Works great. I just have to remember to leave the heat one. With the Mazda option you can control the heater...

I thought about it but also passed because I am simply not paying annually for this option. I don't care if it's $5. It's the point. And I get the cost... there's an actual cellular radio in it. I don't care that it can take "up to a minute" Big deal. You could be in China and start your car in Chicago. That's pretty amazing.
BUT, not paying annually. I got an aftermarket one installed at the dealer for $399. Has a 1,200 foot range. Works great. I just have to remember to leave the heat one. With the Mazda option you can control the heater...

I think most of the speed complaints aren't necessarily about the transmission speed. You're right in that when you take a step back, it's quite remarkable what it can do. The bigger frustration if you read the app reviews, and certainly a "what were they thinking?" moment for me, was that you have to log in to the app every time with a username/password combination, then enter a PIN once you're in the app in order to do anything. No option to stay logged in, no option to bypass the PIN once you are. So the sequence is get out phone, open app, type in username and password, go to start the engine, type in PIN for the account that you're already logged into, and now you can finally start the car. Much less convenient than a fob, and the fobs don't have an annual subscription.

How do you like it? Pros/Cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with a Drone Mobile instead on my Mazda3. (Same basic concept.) Love it for the winter to let the car heat up. I'm going to get it installed on my CX-5 sometime this fall as right now there is no use for it. It really is more useful for the winter.

My one annoyance and I don't know if this is a drone mobile thing or not is that the car turns off when you open the car door.

Yea that's normal because of push button start. If it didn't do that, I could steal your car.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What are the non-mobile factory options? Anyone get a recent factory remote start installed on their CX-5?

Interesting... so they're all aftermarket ones? I figured Mazda would have an OEM one to add, but looks like they don't?

They DID in November. I don't know if that has been scrapped? Would be nice to find out.

I was offered 3 options:
My dealer has a deal with a local shop to install the aftermarket one I showed you. They come to the lot and install it so you pick the car up and it's ready to go. $400

Next was a Mazda option.
Still listed right here on the accessories page:
http://accessories.mazdausa.com/web...ory_rn=&yearSelected=2015&modelSelected=vc254
Dealer quoted me $550 for that. Will automatically hear or cool your car to a preset temp.

??EDIT?? If you select 2015 or 2016 that second option is listed. If you select 2017, it is not. Guessing this is no longer available for 2017's. REALLY LAME MAZDA. More options are always better.

Then there's MMS (the app). Quoted $650 and $61/year.

Last edited:
They DID in November. I don't know if that has been scrapped? Would be nice to find out.

I was offered 3 options:
My dealer has a deal with a local shop to install the aftermarket one I showed you. They come to the lot and install it so you pick the car up and it's ready to go. $400

Next was a Mazda option.
Still listed right here on the accessories page:
http://accessories.mazdausa.com/web...ory_rn=&yearSelected=2015&modelSelected=vc254
Dealer quoted me $550 for that. Will automatically hear or cool your car to a preset temp.

??EDIT?? If you select 2015 or 2016 that second option is listed. If you select 2017, it is not. Guessing this is no longer available for 2017's. REALLY LAME MAZDA. More options are always better.

Then there's MMS (the app). Quoted $650 and $61/year.

I installed the Mazda remote start in my 2016. It will heat or cool your car to the temperature that was last set, but any aftermarket remote start should do the same thing. However, the Mazda version will automatically turn on your rear defroster when the outside temperature is low.

My only complaint with the Mazda system is that the engine shuts off when you open the door. I don't buy the excuse that this is a safety or security feature. I also own a Cadillac CTS-V and a Dodge Durango R/T, both with factory remote start systems. Neither system shuts off the engine when you open the door. The transmission cannot be shifted out of Park until the key fob is detected and you push the start button. This is a much better solution than having to restart engine.

My first car with remote start so it doesn't bother me that the car shuts off. So if a thief gets in your started Caddy, how much damage could he do trying to wrench on the gear shifter to get it out of park? Better safety, imo, to just have the car shutoff. Not like starters are fragile things. Take me with a grain of salt....New to remote start. LOL 😁

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In my last car, remote start would shut the engine off if the brake is pressed. That's a much better solution because you can't effectively steal a car without pressing the brake pedal!

My 2015 GT was a locate acquisition from another dealer. It had the factory fob-based remote start option for $500. Told my dealer I didn't want the option so he offered to split the cost. I've used it perhaps a dozen times over the past 3 years and still don't think it is worth it. No mobile app for the version I have so perhaps 150 foot range.

I keep my CX-5 garaged so won't ever start it while in the garage unless I'm backing out the car immediately.

My 2017 CX-5 GT definitely won't have it.

In my last car, remote start would shut the engine off if the brake is pressed. That's a much better solution because you can't effectively steal a car without pressing the brake pedal!

Yeah my viper alarm I had in my civic would do this.

Has anyone considered Fortin EVO starter. I've looked at this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

But haven't pulled the trigger. It uses your existing Mazda remote (triple click) to start. Cost is about $50 for the unit and about another $50 for the program used the program the unit for your car.

This company makes one for mazda. Taps right into the harness I believe. I found it the other day. Let me look back.

Back