Mazda mobile start, anyone have it?

I put the Compustar CS-4102 in my '14 CX-5 Touring. This worked great all winter. As with the others, the car shuts off when the door is opened. I also have to use the Compustar fob for unlocking the doors after it has been remotely started. I was prepared for this and have no issues with it. Starting a warm car is way better than starting a cold car! The fob is slightly smaller than the OEM standard fob.

I paid $259 including installation. You get 2 remote fobs. The primary is 2-way communications, and the backup is 1-way. The range is claimed to be 3000 ft. I haven't measured, but it's far enough for me to be able to start the car from inside the office. Since I also have aftermarket seat heaters, if I leave them in the On position I have a warm seat when I get in! (2thumbs)

Next was a Mazda option.
Still listed right here on the accessories page:
http://accessories.mazdausa.com/web...ory_rn=&yearSelected=2015&modelSelected=vc254
Dealer quoted me $550 for that. Will automatically hear or cool your car to a preset temp.

??EDIT?? If you select 2015 or 2016 that second option is listed. If you select 2017, it is not. Guessing this is no longer available for 2017's. REALLY LAME MAZDA. More options are always better.

That's the one which came delivered on my 2015 which matched an available color (blue reflex mica) and trim (GT w/Tech pkg) for local inventory. Told the dealer I didn't want to pay $575 (MSRP) so he offered to split the cost and I took it.

Range is limited and sometimes you get an ERR on the return confirmation although the engine did start and the FOB LCD indicates the engine isn't running. Easiest confirmation is at night with the headlights set in Auto. They'll come on when remote started.

Supposedly it will turn on the A/C or rear window defroster if your climate control was set to cool or the ambient conditions warrant the rear defroster.

Worth it? No. My office colleagues have the factory option on his Cadillac which seems to have much better range or the guy with an F-150 and the mobile start app.

Last edited:
3000 feet. Wow. That's nuts. LOL. Very cool.
Seems like aftermarket I'd the way to go after the Pipemajor review. That fob is big too. Mine is tiny.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just had a remote start system installed in my 2017 CX-5 GT with premium package. I used the following parts:
FT-900S-HCF - Remote Start with 3X Lock with factory fob
ADS-THR-MA3 - T-harness for easier installation
DR-3400 - Drone mobile add on.
I can confirm that the vehicle will remain running if you open the door. You have 45 seconds to get in the vehicle close the door and step on the brake. The door request switch will still work if you start the car with the drone mobile app. No need to unlock from the app. Very happy with the results. The installer told me that the firmware was updated within the past month to allow the vehicle to remain running after the door has been opened.

How much? Sounds nice but sounds like I can steal your car, too? No? Just step on the brake like I normally would to shift into gear.

How much? Sounds nice but sounds like I can steal your car, too? No? Just step on the brake like I normally would to shift into gear.

Yeah I am interested in this as well. But wouldn't the car just be locked? I've never had a remote start in any of my cars but I would imagine the car would remain locked. Plus don't these units require the key fob to be in proximity before allowing the driver to shift gears?

If you don't have the fob the car will shut off after 45 seconds. I paid $625 including the parts and install.

Yeah I am interested in this as well. But wouldn't the car just be locked? I've never had a remote start in any of my cars but I would imagine the car would remain locked. Plus don't these units require the key fob to be in proximity before allowing the driver to shift gears?
On my remote start, yes the car stays locked. Unlock the doors and open, car shuts off. Get in, start car. His works kind of the same but car doesn't shut off when door is opened. Having to start the car again doesn't bother me in the least, but nice to see there's an option if that does annoy you.

Has anyone considered Fortin EVO starter. I've looked at this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

But haven't pulled the trigger. It uses your existing Mazda remote (triple click) to start. Cost is about $50 for the unit and about another $50 for the program used the program the unit for your car.

I had this system installed when I got my CX-5 it's not branded Fortin, but it's made by fortin and branded for a well known windshield repair business in Qubec, Canada. I have the 3x lock function and the cell phone option so I can start my car with my cell phone as long as my car is in Quebec or Ontario and I have internet access on my cell phone. There's no annual or monthly fees. It also cost a lot less than the mazda mobile start or the other remote starter that they offer. Works pretty well too.

It sounds like an add, but I'm not affiliated with Fortin or the place that did the work. I'm just a satisfied customer.

Back