music from USB?

Herrdoktor

:
'17 CX-5 GT AWD
Just picked up a 2017 cx-5. I installed about 30GB of music on a usb drive . It seems to play fine but I noticed a few weird quirks that I wonder if it's possible to change.

1. If I choose USB as a source it automatically starts playing the very first track on the very first album (by the first artist alphabetically). Is there anyway to keep it come automatically starting to play until I select a specific artist/track etc.?

2. Usually when I come back to the car it takes over from where it left off the last time, but sometimes it again starts from the very first track on the drive. Is there anyway to stop this?

I noticed neither of these happened when I plugged in my iPhone to the USB drive.

I have the same issue with my 2016.5. I for the life of me can't figure it out. What brand of jump drive are you using.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There was a TSB on that, I had it worked on at my dealer who resolved the issue... I have since simply replaced the head unit because I hated the sound quality...

There was a TSB on that, I had it worked on at my dealer who resolved the issue... I have since simply replaced the head unit because I hated the sound quality...
You would think that by the time they released the 2017 it would have been worked out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What's the TSB?

My 2014 has that issue. It starts at the beginning track. It never picks up where left off if car turned off and back on.

I have a 2016.5. Mine does that - going back to the first track on the USB - but only occasionally. Maybe once every 15-20 times.

Take a look at this video on YouTube, it explains most of the problem playing from USB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-OINBhg4s

I have a 2014 and bluetooth module with software version 7.00, and it behaves the way as on the video. I think this is because there is no power on USB / BT when ingnition is shut off. Last played song is probably stored in some kind of memory, it starts playing as soon as the connection is established. As seen on the video, the player is still reading the content of the stick. Playlist says song 1/1. Larger USB stick, longer read time. I use a 32GB stick with 30GB of music. The read time is 54 seconds every time.

This means if the ignition is turned off, and time left on song "Now Playing" is less than reading time, the player will get a problem when turned on again. There is not enough time to read the stick before the song reach it's end. I don't get the USB error shown in video, but it starts playing from first track on USB after a while.

To avoid this problem I always skip current song to start, before I turn ignition off.

Maybe the same problem on later versions?

For those playing from the USB, how do format the USB stick? And how do you organize the files? Just format and drag songs onto the drive?

For those playing from the USB, how do format the USB stick? And how do you organize the files? Just format and drag songs onto the drive?

FAT32

At least on mine it didn't seem to care how I organized it. It reorganized it into "By Album" as opposed to the folders I created on the USB drive which I would prefer.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

try putting one song on the root directory - saw this suggestion and it worked for me. I keep it on shuffle and picks up where it left off when I turned off the car. Occasionally (maybe once a month) it skips back about 10 songs in the shuffle queue.

try putting one song on the root directory - saw this suggestion and it worked for me. I keep it on shuffle and picks up where it left off when I turned off the car. Occasionally (maybe once a month) it skips back about 10 songs in the shuffle queue.

That was my suggestion. It worked in my VW.

I listen to MP3 audio books I copy to a USB drive and had some of the problems mentioned above, mainly the inability to start again from where you left off--pretty critical for an audiobook. I started out using a regular USB thumb drive, the ones that are about 3" long. The drive's fit into the USB socket didn't seem too secure to me and I thought that maybe some of the problems were due to an accidental mechanical disconnect, for instance when I pick up my phone, which I usually lay near the USB slots. I found a real stubby USB drive; it's only about 1/2" long. Its mechanical fit in the USB socket feels much tighter and I have had no more instances of the book starting from the very beginning, as opposed to where I left off, since I started using the short USB drive.

This solution might not work for all, but the drive cost less than $10 (16 GB is more than enough for books) so it might be worth a try, especially if you think you might often jostle a longer USB drive.

Always playing the first song in the directory was annoying to me too (the song was "Too High To Get It Right" by Accept). To "fix" this, I used the program Audacity to create a 2 minute mp3 of nothing. You can generate a "silence" of needed duration and export it as an mp3. I named the song 00 - AAAAAAAA and put it in the directory the first song was always played from. Now it plays silence and gives me time to chose a song I want to hear. I had to use Mp3tag to make sure it was named to match the other files in the folder. Good luck!

I have a 16 and my USB works the way it's supposed to. It always restarts where it left off.
My firmware vers. is 55.000.753

32 GB in a tiny microSD USB reader. Around 24 GB of podcasts. They resume in the middle of the podcast where I have left off. My firmware is what shipped on the 2018 model.

I'm using an SD-Card reader in the USB slot with a 32GB card. Works fine, but there's one small issue I'd like to see if I could resolve. Every time I start the car, I am not able to select by anything aside from "Folder". I know the unit needs to read the card and build the "Artist", "Album" etc lists. Is there any way to speed that up?

Mine will shuffle if it's playing everything but it won't shuffle if I've picked a playlist, just does alphabetical. The icons are confusing, is the red shuffle symbol supposed to be on or off?

Back